New to saltwater fishing Sidney, BC area - would really appreciate some pointers!

I've experienced some great days out of Sidney....but many more skunkings. A nice way to balance it out is to drop some crab traps. I have had the best luck for crabs in the winter months out there and you are not competing with another 100 traps like in the summer. The crabs are not as deep then also. 30-50' near Sidney Spit.

You've go some good pointers above for sure. If you can get that thing trolling slow, that would be awesome. And if you are able to, it is usually always better to go with the current....and the currents can really haul through those channels. You can't very easily pull up and run in that big boat....but that is usually how I do it. Depending which direction the current is going, either start at the top of Sidney Island, run down the West side until you get to the red can buoy, then head over towards James Island and run the east side until the deep water runs out( or try the reverse if the current is flooding). This is a long route, and you can find fish anywhere along it. Winter Springs are most often found 110-130' and right on bottom.

I've experienced some great days out of Sidney....but many more skunkings. A nice way to balance it out is to drop some crab traps. I have had the best luck for crabs in the winter months out there and you are not competing with another 100 traps like in the summer. The crabs are not as deep then also. 30-50' near Sidney Spit.

You've go some good pointers above for sure. If you can get that thing trolling slow, that would be awesome. And if you are able to, it is usually always better to go with the current....and the currents can really haul through those channels. You can't very easily pull up and run in that big boat....but that is usually how I do it. Depending which direction the current is going, either start at the top of Sidney Island, run down the West side until you get to the red can buoy, then head over towards James Island and run the east side until the deep water runs out( or try the reverse if the current is flooding). This is a long route, and you can find fish anywhere along it. Winter Springs are most often found 110-130' and right on bottom.

Fantastic. Thank you.

Outstanding halibut fishing off Sidney.

It's a well kept secret. Some guys trailer their boats from Vic to Sidney to fish some low pressure, high results spots. You'll have to put in the time to find them though. just because its great fishing doesn't mean it's easy especially for a beginner. Put in the hours (more likely days) and you'll figure it out.

How do you target Halibut? What rigs do you use and what do you use for bait? Thanks!

This will give you an idea (x6)
http://j.mp/19FAmnm

Great chart, thanks. Yeah, the Sidney channel looks like the best bet with deeper water (~60 feet). The West side of James Island looks a bit shallower (~50 feet). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks dangerously shallow on James Spit. I guess one needs to be careful when swinging around the south of James Island correct?

A side note - do guys catch anything in the Swanson Channel (~200 feet) or the Haro Strait (~400 feet)?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will give you an idea (x6)
http://j.mp/19FAmnm

This is really a great chart, thanks. Do you see that spot where the "A" of Haro Strait is written (the bottom one with just "RAIT"). That looks like a great area. 110 meters of water getting shallower to 17 meters in a very short distance. Looks like some kind of pinnacle/structure. What's the name of that spot?

both sides of james island work, its all big sandy sections and any area can hold needlefish and salmon, the trick is finding where they are. If you look at a map of sidney you can pretty much throw a dart and find a spot to fish with a decent chance of success, they all hold fish at one time or another. Its not an easy area to fish because there are so many spots salmon could be holding - a lot of guys go home skunked. Anywhere over 100' could also hold halibut but your best chance is going to be salmon.

Do you use a weight or just let the chunk sink? I'm searching for it now but was just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

google "Halibut fishing" you'll find tons of info,
5-7' med-heavy rod/reel comb. with a spreader bar and up to 1 kg of weight
to take your bait to the bottom and keep it there.

I'm not a Sidney expert , but would say April through early June is usually the best time for Springs in the 10-25 lb range.

Great thanks. I will let my dad know. Any sense for what size fish we can catch in December? Same weight range? Also, is December a good time for Halibut? Thank you!

google "Halibut fishing" you'll find tons of info,
5-7' med-heavy rod/reel comb. with a spreader bar and up to 1 kg of weight
to take your bait to the bottom and keep it there.

Wow. I had no idea. This is big rig. 1kg of weight? Wow. Thanks. I will read up on this more. I know nothing about Halibut fishing.

both sides of james island work, its all big sandy sections and any area can hold needlefish and salmon, the trick is finding where they are. If you look at a map of sidney you can pretty much throw a dart and find a spot to fish with a decent chance of success, they all hold fish at one time or another. Its not an easy area to fish because there are so many spots salmon could be holding - a lot of guys go home skunked. Anywhere over 100' could also hold halibut but your best chance is going to be salmon.

Good info, thanks. Even though Sidney isnt a hot spot, if given the choice of fishing there any time of year, or for any type of fish, what would you target and when (i.e. what/when is the best fishing in Sidney)? Thank you.

A side note - do guys catch anything in the Swanson Channel (~200 feet) or the Haro Strait (~400 feet)?

Wait, is this chart in English units? The distance key is in NM, so are these depths then feet? Because wow, then the Sidney Channel at 23 feet is MUCH shallower than I expected (7 meters). I figured these figures were metric/meters. Sorry to sound like an idiot. Still learning all this. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, is this chart in English units? The distance key is in NM, so are these depths then feet? Because wow, then the Sidney Channel at 23 feet is MUCH shallower than I expected (7 meters). I figured these figures were metric/meters. Sorry to sound like an idiot. Still learning all this. Thanks.
yeah, wondered about your numbers - thats why I said (x6) - its in fathoms...x6 to get feet

I think DFO already announced halibut is open until Dec 31st.

It might change but I expect it will be open.

5 knots is a pretty quick troll speed, maybe a sea anchor could slow you down to 2.5 knots ?
otherwise, jigging with needelfish jigs can be very effective for salmon at certain times of the year.
Halibut fishing could be an option, either anchored or drifting with bait, mackerel, herring, salmon bellies.

GrandbanksTom,
I checked a GB forum and some of the users there suggested trolling with "a drogue chute slows him down pretty good", which I think is what r.s. craven suggested as a sea anchor. This GB forum is http://grandbanksowners.com/gbb/ and some users also advocate a trolling value to get slow enough, but such could be spendy. Your goal is to travel through the water 2.5 - 3 mph, which I would assume a single Ford Lehman would be close to doing if it idles down to 700. In a former time, I had a trawler with twin 135's and with one engine, the boat trolled nicely, but that boat was 38,000 lbs.

Mooching is a real option as well as long as the wind is light, as a GB has a big cabin/house that creates a big sail.

good luck. DAJ

GrandbanksTom,
I checked a GB forum and some of the users there suggested trolling with "a drogue chute slows him down pretty good", which I think is what r.s. craven suggested as a sea anchor. This GB forum is http://grandbanksowners.com/gbb/ and some users also advocate a trolling value to get slow enough, but such could be spendy. Your goal is to travel through the water 2.5 - 3 mph, which I would assume a single Ford Lehman would be close to doing if it idles down to 700. In a former time, I had a trawler with twin 135's and with one engine, the boat trolled nicely, but that boat was 38,000 lbs.

Mooching is a real option as well as long as the wind is light, as a GB has a big cabin/house that creates a big sail.

good luck. DAJ

Hey thanks for this great info. I had no idea a trolling valve existed. Im going to seriously look into this option for my dad and see what it costs/how difficult it is to install. It sounds like a good solution. The chute I am less excited about as I'm assuming it can create logistical difficulties at the stern with the fishing lines that are out etc. He also has a tender at the back that can complicate things. I'll get him to register on the GB forums to ask these questions, but my only concern with a valve (if I understand what Ive read), is that you're still burning 5knot/hour gas yet traveling at 2-3knots. Not ideal, but at least a solution (just doesnt feel very green). THANKS!

Back