New to saltwater fishing Sidney, BC area - would really appreciate some pointers!

By the way, doesnt trolling braid risk a snap off or pulling the hook, or tearing the hook etc. Mono has more stretch. It seems like mono is more popular for trolling. What do you think? What about braid for barbless hooks? More fish landed or less vs mono? Thanks.

IMNSHO Spectra is a total PITA for trolling-expensive and clumsy plus it cuts off anyone who's mono line touches yours.

.... I like the Daiwa Saltist levelwinds (great crank rate of 46"), but I wonder if this type of reel would be to much for a salmon rod (it weighs 24oz)? Thanks!

If you want sporty for salmon, as is the case for most salty fishers on this forum, you should look into a knuckle duster style reel for salmon (mooching reel) with a 1 to 1 action, not a level wind. Trust me, you will regret a level wind setup for salmon once you feel a fish on a duster. Daiwa or similar have been making these for at least a quarter century and good used reels can be found in the $25 - $40 range.

By the way, doesnt trolling braid risk a snap off or pulling the hook, or tearing the hook etc. Mono has more stretch. It seems like mono is more popular for trolling. What do you think? What about braid for barbless hooks? More fish landed or less vs mono? Thanks.

Mono is certainly more popular, but if you want something to handle both hali and salmon, then braid is your way to go. As far as pulling hooks out....that is where the sport/skill come in. I don't really know what you mean for braid on barbless hooks....leader tied to hook/lure for salmon. Braid to a swivel and snap, snap to your flasher, flasher to leader. For haly, snap to spreader bar or straight to jig. I don't seem to have a problem with landing fish...but of course lose some. Everyone that has tried this set up loves it.

What conventional reels work on halibut rods that can be easily switched to salmon rods that both handle 80# braid?
= Peetz ;)

Mono is certainly more popular, but if you want something to handle both hali and salmon, then braid is your way to go. As far as pulling hooks out....that is where the sport/skill come in. I don't really know what you mean for braid on barbless hooks....leader tied to hook/lure for salmon. Braid to a swivel and snap, snap to your flasher, flasher to leader. For haly, snap to spreader bar or straight to jig. I don't seem to have a problem with landing fish...but of course lose some. Everyone that has tried this set up loves it.

What conventional reels work on halibut rods that can be easily switched to salmon rods that both handle 80# braid?
= Peetz ;)

Do you think 65# test braid can work for both salmon and halibut? I keep reading 80# for halibut, 30# for salmon. Do you think 65# will be a nice middle ground or am I going in undergunned on the halibut side?

Do you think 65# test braid can work for both salmon and halibut? I keep reading 80# for halibut, 30# for salmon. Do you think 65# will be a nice middle ground or am I going in undergunned on the halibut side?

You would be fine for hali with 65, assuming you aren't one of those guys that thinks they really need to reef on it....which you don't. This will be a challenge to stay in a downrigger clip(assuming that you will eventually figure out how to troll that thing) and you would have to put on a top shot of maybe 50' of mono...but then you can't use it for hali. 80-100 will stay in clip better. I don't really see how you could go wrong with the heavier....it makes no difference on the fishing and the 100# braid that I have on mine is about as thick as 25# mono.

You would be fine for hali with 65, assuming you aren't one of those guys that thinks they really need to reef on it....which you don't. This will be a challenge to stay in a downrigger clip(assuming that you will eventually figure out how to troll that thing) and you would have to put on a top shot of maybe 50' of mono...but then you can't use it for hali. 80-100 will stay in clip better. I don't really see how you could go wrong with the heavier....it makes no difference on the fishing and the 100# braid that I have on mine is about as thick as 25# mono.

Ok sounds good. I will stick to the heavier # braid. The new Daiwa Seagate Levelwind will take about 500 yards of 85# braid and has a great crank rate. It also costs around $150 which isnt too bad. Do you know this reel? Any thoughts?

I was just reading up on the regulations. Is this legit? Only 6 halibut per license per year? Thats insane.....

[leHf6l2TifY] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leHf6l2TifY

Any recommendations for a good halibut rod in the $150 range? I was looking at Lamiglass and Shimano, but would appreciate suggestions for specific models as well as other brands. Thanks!

Here are the specs for the Shimano Trevalas (not the new $200 F version, the older regular version, casting series). What do you think about the Trevala TVC66MH for $120??

Trevala Butterfly Jigging Casting
Model Length Power Action Power Pro Line Capacity (# Test/Yards) Jig Weights Pieces Foregrip Length Reargrip Length Guide Number Handle Styles
TVC58XH 5'8" Extra Heavy Medium Fast 80-200 160-270 1 8.0" 12.5" Tip + 8 A
TVC58XXH 5'8" Extra Extra Heavy Medium Fast 80-200 120-270 1 8.0" 12.5" T+8 A
TVC60H 6'0" Heavy Medium Fast 65-200 160-270 1 7.75" 12.5" T+8 B
TVC66H 6'6" Heavy Medium Fast 80-200 270-325 1 8.0" 12.5" T+8 A
TVC66M 6'6" Medium Medium Fast 30-80 75-200 1 5.5" 14.0" T+8 C
TVC66M2 6'6" Medium Medium Fast 30-80 75-200 2 5.5" 14.0" T+8 C
TVC66MH 6'6" Medium Heavy MediumFast 50-100 110-240 1 7.25" 14.0" T+8 D
TVC66MH2 6'6" Medium Heavy Medium Fast 50-100 110-200 2 7.25" 14.0" T+8 D
TVC70L 7'0" Light Medium 10-30 55-90 1 5.0" 14.0" T+9 E
TVC70ML 7'0" Medium Light Medium Fast 20-50 55-135 1 5.5" 14.0" T+9 C

Try an ugly stick tiger lite....Very similar to the Shimano Trevala and only around $60-$70. It is built for heavy lines and is ultra light.

Try an ugly stick tiger lite....Very similar to the Shimano Trevala and only around $60-$70. It is built for heavy lines and is ultra light.

Hey these Tiger Lite's don't look half bad. Good value for the price. Im just not sure about the braid cutting issue. What inserts do they have?

[ujgd7hYf7c4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgd7hYf7c4

They are steel guides. I'd go with a shimano Tallora - similar price as Ugky stik.

I've got a Tallora with metal guides no issues with braid yet. On my first season with it though but I do fish often. I have two tallora's actually a 1 piece and a 2 piece they have different action the 2 piece works for Hali and doubles as a cod jigging rod when I need one. I prefer the 2 piece but might not be impressed if a 120lb Hali bites it... But you need to release any over 60lbs anyways. And yes as of 2013 6 Hali per season per license.

Now go forward Tom, utilize the generous and informative information that has been provided to you. Head out to sea and challenge the mighty west coast fishery and be sure to keep us updated on your success.;) eman

Now go forward Tom, utilize the generous and informative information that has been provided to you. Head out to sea and challenge the mighty west coast fishery and be sure to keep us updated on your success.;) eman

HAHA thanks guys! This has really been great. I have a lot of info to digest and will hopefully get my dad on here soon too to join. We have a lot to talk about and figure out for our trip. We really appreciate all the help. Thank you.

Any recommendations for a good halibut rod in the $150 range? I was looking at Lamiglass and Shimano, but would appreciate suggestions for specific models as well as other brands. Thanks!
I own two St. Croix 7 ft. #TSWC70HF's and I can't say enough good about them. They were recommended by a well
known and respected forum member here. They're $140.00 each,but worth every penny. The eyes on them are the
scoucumest I've ever seen on a rod,with a very beefy rod handle and reel seat as well. Call Trotac Marine in Victoria
and talk to Paul. He'll tell the same thing. And your right about the Ugly Stick eyes being substandard. I've known
quite a few people who have had problems with the inserts popping right out of the guide frames while they were
fighting fish. Not Cool !!

I own two St. Croix 7 ft. #TSWC70HF's and I can't say enough good about them. They were recommended by a well
known and respected forum member here. They're $140.00 each,but worth every penny. The eyes on them are the
scoucumest I've ever seen on a rod,with a very beefy rod handle and reel seat as well. Call Trotac Marine in Victoria
and talk to Paul. He'll tell the same thing. And your right about the Ugly Stick eyes being substandard. I've known
quite a few people who have had problems with the inserts popping right out of the guide frames while they were
fighting fish. Not Cool !!

Dont even get me started on St Croix rods! I own an Avid 11 footer Surf Rod, and it's fantastic. Many of the St Croix rods are very overpriced at their MSRP, but if you shop wisely, you can get some good deals. The Avid series also comes with a no questions asked lifetime warranty, which is the reason I bought the rod. But I see the Triumph series is a surf rod (5 year warranty). I havent known these rods to be used from boats? I will check them out, but I may be better off targeting a proper heavy boat rod (~6 feet). The Ugly Stik is out because of the guides. The Trevala is great but you need to get the XH or the XXH version, which pins those rods at $160 (the lighter versions are way slower than their ratings suggest - just check Youtube). The Lamiglass BFCs have durability issues. Im still trying to find the right rods for <$150. Suggestions are welcomed!

Back