New to me Boat!

Any updates on how the heater works? for that prie it really is a tempting proposition, if it works well in a marine environment.

Any updates on how the heater works? for that prie it really is a tempting proposition, if it works well in a marine environment.

I've researched these heaters a bit and have purchased one myself to play with. From what I've read they are built a little bit cheaper than the more expensive couterparts when it comes to the electrical components in regards to waterproofing. The plugs (connectors) on the wiring are not waterproof and the electrical board is not waterproof or covered in a thick waterproof epoxy whereas the more expensive heaters tend to be. As long as you keep the heater out of the elements you may not have any issues. Also clean the heaters every once in awhile as they can soot up over time. I hear that running kerosene in them may allow them to run cleaner as well. I have noticed that parts for these heaters are extremely cheap cost-wise, so if a main board fails a replacement will prob cost less than 20US... and it seems that all parts (glow plug, fan, controller, etc) for these can be purchased quite readily and at little expense... for now that is.

I've researched these heaters a bit and have purchased one myself to play with. From what I've read they are built a little bit cheaper than the more expensive couterparts when it comes to the electrical components in regards to waterproofing. The plugs (connectors) on the wiring are not waterproof and the electrical board is not waterproof or covered in a thick waterproof epoxy whereas the more expensive heaters tend to be. As long as you keep the heater out of the elements you may not have any issues. Also clean the heaters every once in awhile as they can soot up over time. I hear that running kerosene in them may allow them to run cleaner as well. I have noticed that parts for these heaters are extremely cheap cost-wise, so if a main board fails a replacement will prob cost less than 20US... and it seems that all parts (glow plug, fan, controller, etc) for these can be purchased quite readily and at little expense... for now that is.

Very tempting!

No update on how the heater works as of yet. I have only run it for maybe a total of 45 min so far. Like bigdogoh says they are not the same quality as the more expensive version. There are videos on YouTube doing side by side comparisons against the name brands showing the difference but bigdogoh basically summed them up. For the price it was worth a try! If your going to order one I would get on it as it took 6 weeks to get here.

Just got the phone call, the boat has been water tested and is ready for pick up!

If it can stop snowing for a day I will pick it up Friday and get to test it myself this weekend!
Just drove by, it looks awesome. i'll go and have a look at it tomorrow if your alright with that ExFlyGuy

Just got the phone call, the boat has been water tested and is ready for pick up!

If it can stop snowing for a day I will pick it up Friday and get to test it myself this weekend!
Great news!

Hey Fly guy, I have really enjoyed watching you build your boat . It been a great way to show what fishing means to you and so many others who have put boats together.
I too finally have a new boat (2359) I am also bummed by the news of salmon restriction to the point where I'm wondering if I can warrant keeping it , never mind adding more equipment.
I had to follow work and now live 1200 km each way from the island and at best I will get a month a year ( I hope) to use it.

Would you consider sending a link of your build to that Jeff on the link for the SFAB/SFAC , I sent my letter.

I think your efforts really help someone visualize to see how important fishing is to you and all of us to our families .
My hats off to you , you do great work , looks great.
thanks for sharing all the photos.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I look forward to posting in the fishing report thread again! I wouldn’t give up on your boat just yet, I know there may be more restrictions coming. But I am still going to spend time with my friends and family on the water making memories and enjoying our coast. I think you should as well!

I have already sent emails last week regarding the scenarios and how they will affect me but I may consider your request and send off another.

You are right I hope it all works out.
So we do have plans to spend 8 nights on Quadra then 4 nights at the mouth of Knights inlet 4 in Port Hardy and 8 in Esperanza/ Nootka then my season will be done
a few fish to take home is a bonus we don't need a freezer full .

Enjoy your boat love the photos please keep them coming

You are right I hope it all works out.
So we do have plans to spend 8 nights on Quadra then 4 nights at the mouth of Knights inlet 4 in Port Hardy and 8 in Esperanza/ Nootka then my season will be done
a few fish to take home is a bonus we don't need a freezer full .

Enjoy your boat love the photos please keep them coming

You have more trips planned then I do already! Sounds like your going to have a great holidays!

It will be fun, hope my kids will get the time to come our 2 girls were born in Campbell River .
Now if I can just get my boat finished we will be set. LoL
I'm slow getting my boat rigged your pictures makes me want to get going again but it's -25C here
Your progress was amazing to watch, thanks again for posting it.

Like bigreel said I picked the boat up yesterday and towed her home! This morning I rigged her all up and took her on the maiden voyage. This is a big boat and getting it on and off the trailer with one person was manageable but a little nerve racking! I’m sure it will get easier but my other boats have all been smaller and not required power to drive onto the trailer.

Boat handled great and has lots of power with the 300 verado.

At 4000 rpm I was cruising at 23 knots and burning 10 gallon/hr. I’m happy with these numbers.

Top speed was 37 knots at 6200 rpm.

This was with just me, a full tank of fuel and some fishing gear. The shop guys said they had it up to 47 mph so maybe the chop was slowing me down a bit.

I dropped the lines for about 10 min and was rewarded with the first fish on the new rig! A 69cm spring.

The plan is to take the family out tomorrow again, I’m exited to take them out!

Oh, and the diesel heater is a game changer! I had it running with the back door open the entire time and it was keeping it at 13 Celsius. Coming in after catching the fish and warming my hands on the hot air vent is awesome!

Anyways, thanks for following the build. I’ll see you guys out on the water!

1AD9DB2A-D246-455B-B541-F552742252DD.jpeg 0AB509DB-F591-445C-9EAE-86393778A906.jpeg 3AAAB47E-DB9A-480B-A375-634E05FA2079.jpeg

Back