New Halibut Regulations Update

After reading Islandgirl's inflated guestimate of how many fish she thinks guides gift annualy I can obviously see that she really has a hate for guides too! Why is it that causes some of these people to hate so much??? Lorne, I know your out there, you called it perfectly in your pm to me the other night. Would you bring it out or should I?

Fishmyster, Gifting is fine when you are giving it as a gift and expect NOTHING in return, I give fish to my grandmother from time to time. When you are a guide SELLING an "expirience" and part of that "expirience" is an extra halibut or 2 from your licence, I would consider that part of the sale. According to the regulations selling sport caught fish is illegal. Thats the way I see It.. and I think Its ********

if everybody would stop trying to apply how the slot size affects them and others and understand that something was done to extend our season under duress from OUR government, maybe this in fighting of sports fishers would stop.:(

more speculation and sheeple talk is not what we need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishmyster, Gifting is fine when you are giving it as a gift and expect NOTHING in return, I give fish to my grandmother from time to time. When you are a guide SELLING an "expirience" and part of that "expirience" is an extra halibut or 2 from your licence, I would consider that part of the sale. According to the regulations selling sport caught fish is illegal. Thats the way I see It.. and I think Its ********
Well for your information I don't gift all my fish to my guests. Your other post sells the notion that most guides are just selling thier catch to the customers. I don't let my guests go home with any more than a possession limit. My fish are mine. Your accusation is offending!

Sorry, I was not accusing you or any guide in particular. It does happen, and some guides have even posted on THIS forum that they GIFT fish to clients. We all know it happens, and I don't agree with it.

I know there is a few guides who do gift a lot of thier fish to customers. I have gifted when a guest was not lucky enough to catch one on thier own and I had a spare piece but it is never part of the deal. Just a gift to who is not so fortunate. In my eyes to not allow guides to keep fish or to dissallow gifting would be total bs and unfair penalty to those that guide.
Jackel I have heard about your relationship with the guides where you guided before and it wasn't all that good from thier words. Also if you would have put some more pictures of fish on your website you may still be in business guiding. Many people book charters to enjoy angling AND put food on the table. Websites with slab pictures give a consumer an impression that they will get good value for the money spent. If they are c&r guys than they have the impression of getting to release lots. So big catch pictures are an important marketing tool. You shouldn't knock those who use those successfull tools just because you did not. How you chose to have your site looked may be a big part of why your not guiding anymore.
No fish for guides in Alaska. Just because Alaska did it doesn't mean we should do it correct? You did mention the idea of guides not keeping fish on charters on a past post. If gifting is a problem and could effect the TAC than an annual limmit would be a much better and more carring way to address this issue. If a guide wishes to give all his fish away than it is thier decission and there will be none for themself in the end. No fish for guides has hate and resentment written all over it and that is probably how that regulation got implemented. I sure hope the fishermen in B.C. can have more compassion for each other than in Alaska and this never gets concidered.

I know there is a few guides who do gift a lot of thier fish to customers. I have gifted when a guest was not lucky enough to catch one on thier own and I had a spare piece but it is never part of the deal. Just a gift to who is not so fortunate. In my eyes to not allow guides to keep fish or to dissallow gifting would be total bs and unfair penalty to those that guide.

I am having hard time here. I thought you are just the taxi? So should it not be up to the party to catch the fish? I also here alot about the "experience" being pitched. Are you gifting because in reality "the experience" doesnt it cut it at $1000 a day? Im not hating on gifting or guiding, as i have been gifted a few times before by my guide(s), and was very thankful and hope in the future it will continue to go on as sometimes things out of your control happen(mostly waether) Im just trying to connect the dots, and it seems there is alot of talk isnt adding up. How is a guide that in your own words " gifts alot of his fish to his customers" not trading fish for monetary gain? If you took a guy out and he caught nothing, and you didnt gift him that fish, how many would rebook? Im sure your a nice guy and all, and it wouldnt be a bad time bobbing around in a boat with you for 10 hours, but at $1000 a pop, im pretty sure most would pass the second time around if they didnt catch anything. So in my mind the "gift" is more then likely a last ditch effort to secure future business. IM good with it, but lets call it what it is here.

Just because Alaska did it doesn't mean we should do it correct?

Oh the irony.

if everybody would stop trying to apply how the slot size affects them and others and understand that something was done to extend our season under duress from OUR government, maybe this in fighting of sports fishers would stop.:(

Couldn't agree more. Problem is we have a few folks who do not want to closely and objectively examine the facts and look at the reasons behind the slot limit. What we need to do is move on and demonstrate we can responsibly make the TAC work and not stamp our feet like spoiled children and commies who place cement blocks on boat ramps. Unfortunately its way more fun to take free shots at anyone you can lash out in anger towards - very distasteful and shameful behaviour.

Time to move on.

Well a few guy's get it.

Some guy's need to go ask there elders as they seem to be not so wise.
Some guy's should just turn in their keyboards and only lurk as they know not what they know.

Me I should stop posting on this thread and get back to solutions on fixing the problem.
GLG

Lorne, you are calling it what it isn't here. Some guides may gift a lot but not all of us. That is how it reads. You should go back and reread. I only do it if I happen to have a spare piece and a customer was unlucky. It is never been advertised and it is seldom done on my boat. Why do you keep assuming the worst out of people who you do not know??? If I gift it is because I care for my guest and want them to get to enjoy a piece of fish, not to assure future business like you think. They come back to fish with me because I treat them like friends and not a paycheck, not for gifted fish. All the aquaintances at the dock to who most of my gifted fish go are never going to be future clients. In you vision of me why would I be so stupid to give fish to any body who isn't paying me eh???
I think you do have a problem of jealousy to guides and that is what keeps you going on the idea of us all being so money hungry. These are your impressions only and you must be imagining what you would be doing in these sinerios. I can tell you that you are very far from alike and would be more of oppossites than not! If you are having trouble connecting the dots while reading that is because you are applying your own greedy personality into the sinerios. If you had the capabillity of just reading without bias than there would be a chance for you to understand.
For your info the cost of a charter has gone up this year. four people now cost about $1600 depending on where we fish and not $1000. There that should get your gears turning and help fuel your jealous burn some more with the idea of all the millions I am raking in consuming your portion of TAC
Lorne, your passion for fishing is impressive but the assumption of greed you keep applying to your fellow angler or guides is most repulsive. I hope someday you will grow up and realise not everybody is as greedy as you think.

Possibly you have a reading problem too. My guests do not get thier limmit and mine. I may, if I happen to have a spare piece, gift a piece to an unlucky guest who didn't happen to catch one the day we were fishing together. That's it. No extra limmits for sale here. please reread.
I did question your relationship with the other guides because you were slagging how they advertise big harvest trips. You pointed a negative finger at them and I questioned why you were doing that? that's all.
Hope you aren't sorry i did not take the bait on what other guides think, couldn't care less. If one wants to be part of a group or work independant so be it. As for my posting pics of more fish not my style, I always made my target of approximately 40 charters a season no time for anymore. Obviously this is a fishing forum and the members and or guides might think that this is all, but to me it isn't to some it is, but equal opportunity to all. Fishmyster I make $2500.00+ a day for my consulting work, do the math, the guiding was a fill in for all the time i have off. You state that you are giving the people access to the right to go fish for halibut, great, then you gift fish to clients. So you are taking away TAC from the everyday canadian you trumpet so much about giving access to the resourse to. If you want a longer season for your job, fine, don't play both sides of the street. limits are limits, as other top guides have stated on this debate(some I am sure which gave me such a good referance :) ) it is not all about the fish, so what is it. i think i have been upfront, have not slagged you off personnally, have not gone behind your back and seeked info about your person, have heard from a few though but that is between me and them, until I ever meet you I will make my own decision then about your person. If you want to get into a throw em down slag each other off type thing I am more than willing to follow your leed but lets keep it to PM's. But as i have stated before intelligent conversation is what i am looking for not an attack on ones person. Balls in your court, have a good night.

the way i read it is possession is 2 over 2 days of which 1 may be greater than 83cm....for all us local guys were still able to keep our 1 halibut of any size if u go out lets say 1 day in the week...even if u went out 2 days in a row and kept 2 big ones...how r they gonna prove that? just wondering if i read it right...the only person it hurts is a guy paying to come catch 2 biggies, if i remember correctly the first thing i heard about slot sized halibut was mentioned by a guide on this forum..i responded and said"don't give these guys ideas". And what do u know we have a slot size.... how the f do u measure a thrashing halibut in the water....what your supposeto bring it aboard and pet it so its stops thrashing around......wtf

if everybody would stop trying to apply how the slot size affects them and others and understand that something was done to extend our season under duress from our government, maybe this in fighting of sports fishers would stop.:(

thank you !! :d

well its pretty simple if its not between about 6-8 pounds and its wild u have thow it back....if u want to keep a 6-8lbs...which is dont get me wrong a good eater and a good winter spring, i fish all winter and love winter fishing, but its pretty easy to tell the difference between a 6lber and a 10 pounder...thank god for the puget sound hatcherys that come into our waters....cheers

one other thing u can tell the the difference between 40lb hali and a 20 but anything close to the 83cm u have to bring aboard try to get the hooks out ,if u use trebles that can be a nightmare, half the time u have to do surgery on them, just to get the hooks out. so u risk killing or injuring that halibut that was over the slot....not trying to start anything...like said possession is 2 of which 1 may be over 83cm....the way i look at it is if i go out and get a halibut thats like 40-60 lbs thats good enough for me

cut off a 83cm streamer with clip, attach it to line and then it will drop to above halibut in the water and straighten out in water with current as well, then if its longer than halibut, you know its under 83cm

I can see barbless hooks coming our way. Same statements made about salmon a few years back. Maybe fly rods? Just saying.

I think it would be far easier to just get the charter boats & lodges to buy quota. I mean really how much would a charter guy need? a couple thousands lbs? Take out a loan & you get to write off the interest, as well as your liability insurance, fuel, tackle,motor,trailer,even part of your house mortgage if you run your business out of your home.Then you know exactly how many pounds you have to play with, your season goes from mar to nov.
Just get them transferred over to the commercial sector of the quota,then the sport & 1st nations sector would have that 15% all to themselves.

Back