New Halibut Regulations Update

First Nation Dude you really need to look at you idea that the costs of getting quota will be paid by the government.
It just not so. The cost will be paid by the clients as that's how the world works.
Don't think I'm right? Well lets look at a cost of oil and the price of gas.
The cost of oil goes up and the price of gas follows in quick fashion.
The cost of oil is to the producers and the price of gas is to the consumers.
In your theory oil would go up and gas would stay the same because the oil companies would write off the added cost on their taxes.
Have we seen that ever in Canada?
The truth is the cost of halibut quota would be passed on to the client not to the government.
As I am the client I would be paying for the cost of the quota.
It would be me paying for something I already own.

You seem to be falling for this ponzie scheme that the slipper skippers are selling.
Perhaps dig deep and come up with what is right and what is wrong.
After all you have a right to those fish for FSC don't you think I do as well?
And as you know 75% to 80% of the Canadian Halibut TAC gets exported out of Canada.
How come you are not standing up for your fellow Canadians rights to Canada's TAC.
Have you sold out to the almighty buck.

GLG

Oh!!! So islandgirl its ok to put out wildly exaggerated numbers out there then pin them on a specific group and say you have the highest respect for them! I think not! You spew lies and deceit! Hopefully someday you will account for them! Some freedom of speech! BLAH!
I've read Islandgirl's other posts. It's obvious this is something near and dear to her. I'm sure she put some thought into her posts, and came up with her numbers, as she thought it was. It was an opinion. If someone disagrees with it, and has their opinions on these numbers, then post away with a reply. Better yet, provide a link where some of the actual numbers are, or provide a reference. It's all good.

However, a personal attack on an individual, is not productive to the spirit of the thread, and should not be tolerated in any public forum, as it is akin to cyber bullying. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of it, these days and people start losing interest in participating, and the forum starts to become a ghost board. We don't want that to happen, as many of us get a lot good and beneficial information from here. Some very knowledgeable people frequent here. So, let cooler heads prevail, and keep it civil.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the hijack.

cheer

You guys know, I am okay with "new members" coming on this site and asking questions and voicing their concerns; however, sometimes I have to ask... Do you really know WTF you are talking about? You might want to separate some fact and fiction and keep your bias opinions to yourself? And then may I ask, when was the last time YOU (or anyone you know) donated $11 MILLION, and yes I did say $11 MILLION dollars?

Just some wondering minds, wondering and wanting to know!

"The Bob Wright Centre: Oak Bay Marine Group’s $11 million donation to the University of Victoria"
http://www.obmg.com/about/media/media-releases/bob-wright-centre/

and where did bob get his 11 million to donate.. first by catching and selling whales to aquariums and then by exploiting a canadian resource for free... did i miss anything charlie.

You guys know, I am okay with "new members" coming on this site and asking questions and voicing their concerns; however, sometimes I have to ask... Do you really know WTF you are talking about? You might want to separate some fact and fiction and keep your bias opinions to yourself? And then may I ask, when was the last time YOU (or anyone you know) donated $11 MILLION, and yes I did say $11 MILLION dollars?

Just some wondering minds, wondering and wanting to know!

"The Bob Wright Centre: Oak Bay Marine Group’s $11 million donation to the University of Victoria"
http://www.obmg.com/about/media/media-releases/bob-wright-centre/
11 million! Think of that?How much money does bob wright have to make from this resource to be able to donate 11 million dollars?I donate money, not 11 million mind you,but 11 million????A guys gotta be making a lot of money to be able to donate that kind of money wouldn't you think? You say it's now a majority of canadians that go on these charters,hmmm well lets look at that. Do you think that these are average canadians with modest incomes? Do you think that the average canadian can afford to fly in from anywhere across canada to access this resource that is suppose to belong to any canadian?
Roughly 300,000 saltwater licences are issued annually, me included(I purchase both salt & freshwater licenses)Canada's population is over 34 million,so less than 10% of canada's population can afford to go out & either buy a boat or go out on a charter.So is this really Canada's resource? or just the 10% that can afford that luxury?11 million,wow if you figure the average Canadian grosses 40 grand,i'd say bob wright is really cleaning up on Canada's resource.
I love seafood, there's probably nothing in the ocean that i haven't eaten,but i'm lucky i can afford that luxury.Mind you i had to take up a trade to be able to support my fishing habit. I hear a lot of angry people, but remember your only 10% of the population that can afford the luxury of paying 30 grand for a boat,16 grand for a motor,35 hundred for a trailor. The other 90% don't get that luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:
11 million! Think of that?How much money does bob wright have to make from this resource to be able to donate 11 million dollars?I donate money, not 11 million mind you,but 11 million????A guys gotta be making a lot of money to be able to donate that kind of money wouldn't you think? You say it's now a majority of canadians that go on these charters,hmmm well lets look at that. Do you think that these are average canadians with modest incomes? Do you think that the average canadian can afford to fly in from anywhere across canada to access this resource that is suppose to belong to any canadian?
Roughly 300,000 saltwater licences are issued annually, me included(I purchase both salt & freshwater licenses)Canada's population is over 34 million,so less than 10% of canada's population can afford to go out & either buy a boat or go out on a charter.So is this really Canada's resource? or just the 10% that can afford that luxury?11 million,wow if you figure the average Canadian grosses 40 grand,i'd say bob wright is really cleaning up on Canada's resource.

The little green guy is showing up in your mirror there fella. Maybe Bob Wright is a generous person. Good on him to donate that money for a worthy cause. I don't see any slipper skippers or other prominate commercial fisherman doing the same.

RECREATIONAL Sportfishing is good for the economy and the well being of this Great Province of ours. It is not going away. I predict it will only get better over time.

You and your cronies can join all the forums you like but it won't do anything except waste your time.

The little green guy is showing up in your mirror there fella. Maybe Bob Wright is a generous person. Good on him to donate that money for a worthy cause. I don't see any slipper skippers or other prominate commercial fisherman doing the same.

RECREATIONAL Sportfishing is good for the economy and the well being of this Great Province of ours. It is not going away. I predict it will only get better over time.

You and your cronies can join all the forums you like but it won't do anything except waste your time.
Exactly, most slipper skippers don't have 11 million to give away.There trying to earn a living & pay off there mortgages on there quota,bob wright doesn't have to pay for quota,i guess that's why he can afford to donate 11 million?Oh & get a nice little tax deduction while he's at it.Mind you he can only write off 17% of that cheritable donation,he would have been wiser to donate that 11 million to the political party of his choice & get an 80% deduction.
if you've ever been to ukee during the winter there isn't much money being spent in those coastal communities.Tofino's better because they market storm watching.All you have to do is drive thru Ukee & see places closed downeg the bowling alley & smileys cafe.A lot of the fishers that bring there boats bring there own food & liquor from the mainland where it a lot cheaper,the only time they go up to the co op is if they forgot something.

Last edited by a moderator:
He First nation dude. How about the 300 000 saltwater license holders get combined with the 420 or whatever there is quota holders and all get an equal amount of the tac pie. Let's let sporties sell thier catch as food and comercial fishers could do charters. Then you would be able to make just as many millions as Bob Wright and you wouldn't have to be so bitter. Correct?

Exactly, most slipper skippers don't have 11 million to give away.There trying to earn a living & pay off there mortgages on there quota,bob wright doesn't have to pay for quota,i guess that's why he can afford to donate 11 million?Oh & get a nice little tax deduction while he's at it.Mind you he can only write off 17% of that cheritable donation,he would have been wiser to donate that 11 million to the political party of his choice & get an 80% deduction.
if you've ever been to ukee during the winter there isn't much money being spent in those coastal communities.Tofino's better because they market storm watching.All you have to do is drive thru Ukee & see places closed downeg the bowling alley & smileys cafe.A lot of the fishers that bring there boats bring there own food & liquor from the mainland where it a lot cheaper,the only time they go up to the co op is if they forgot something.
Even people that live there take the hour drive to do there shopping at wal mart.

He First nation dude. How about the 300 000 saltwater license holders get combined with the 420 or whatever there is quota holders and all get an equal amount of the tac pie. Let's let sporties sell thier catch as food and comercial fishers could do charters. Then you would be able to make just as many millions as Bob Wright and you wouldn't have to be so bitter. Correct?
I'm not bitter, i make a living from something i love. lets have a free for all , devide the pie equally. That would be fair wouldn't it 7 million pounds devided 34 million ways,so yours & my share would be just over a quarter pound annually.Would you like that all at once?

HHAHAHAHA

Ken we have disagreed ALOT in the last little bit, but you are on fire today!

Keep up the good work sir!

First nations dude you are a mess. And your drivel is uninteresting, not factual and plain and simple ridiculous.

Few more st patties ceasers an i might have to jump in here!

Lorne

I'm not bitter, i make a living from something i love. lets have a free for all , devide the pie equally. That would be fair wouldn't it 7 million pounds devided 34 million ways,so yours & my share would be just over a quarter pound annually.Would you like that all at once?
Actually no. I wouldn't want that. It wouldn't benifit anybody.
How about charters and comercials get linked together to divide equaly the comercial TAC? We both are making a living of the "Canadian resource". We I mean, me and you, pay the same for licenses, moorage or quota fees and get all the same tax exemptions. We comercial fishers having equal options to do with our fish like sale or charter. I agree, let's split equally. If we as comercials paid equaly back to the system to compensate the other 95% of Canadians, that would be fair. I would go for that!!! Well I would have to give it some more thought but it does sound attractive already!

Actually no. I wouldn't want that. It wouldn't benifit anybody.
How about charters and comercials get linked together to divide equaly the comercial TAC? We both are making a living of the "Canadian resource". We I mean, me and you, pay the same for licenses, moorage or quota fees and get all the same tax exemptions. We comercial fishers having equal options to do with our fish like sale or charter. I agree, let's split equally. If we as comercials paid equaly back to the system to compensate the other 95% of Canadians, that would be fair. I would go for that!!! Well I would have to give it some more thought but it does sound attractive already!
There you go, but 300,400 commercial sport/commercial combined licensed saltwater fishermen.That comes to 23.3 lb of quota, how do you eleminate people?How do you include Bob White & the 1st nations fishers?

Hmmm, equal amounts when the shoe is on the commercial foot but a closed shop when talking guiding for steelies on a river subsidized by all taxpayers, even halibut fisherman.
I want quota for free because it suits my needs and I am special and can't, won't or shouldn't have to pay for it, after all I am the Fishmyster : )
I think I sense bitterness from a certain Myster, would you like some cheese and crackers to go with your whine?

popcorn.gif

Haaah! That was a good one fish. Have you ever met Lorne Parker. You two would click.

Hmmm, equal amounts when the shoe is on the commercial foot but a closed shop when talking guiding for steelies on a river subsidized by all taxpayers, even halibut fisherman.
I want quota for free because it suits my needs and I am special and can't, won't or shouldn't have to pay for it, after all I am the Fishmyster : )
I think I sense bitterness from a certain Myster, would you like some cheese and crackers to go with your whine?

Maybe Bob Wright got the 11 million from selling a few of these lunkers, interesting!

One afternoon in January 1970, Bob Wright, Graeme Ellis and a couple of other researchers were out in a boat looking for whales off the southern end of Vancouver Island. They'd had a report of a group of five animals -- transients as it turned out -- in the vicinity of Race Rocks. When they spotted the whales, they discovered that one was white, probably the granddaughter of Alice. The whales swam into Pedder Bay, a narrow notch in the coast west of Victoria, where Wright and his team managed to pen them in with the only net available, a flimsy gillnet filled with holes and too short to reach the sea floor. Concerned that the captives would escape, Wright stationed boats at intervals along the net, and all night members of his team pounded paddles on the sides of the boats and dropped seal bombs -- underwater explosives used by fishermen to frighten away seals -- to keep the whales from approaching the mesh.

A whale to the rescue

When dawn arrived, so did a pair of seiners with more nets to secure the entrance to the bay. For twenty-four days, while Wright held the captives at Pedder Bay, they would not eat the herring and salmon offered to them. At the time the distinction between transients and resident whales was not understood, nor was the fact that transients eat other marine mammals such as seals, sea lions and porpoises, not fish.

But when the white whale, now named Chimo, and another young female, Nootka, were moved to the Sealand facility at Oak Bay, Haida, the resident whale, was able to persuade the newcomers to begin eating. Ellis described what happened. "It was the most amazing thing. We had a safety net across between them and we had someone distracting [Haida] and feeding him, at the other end of the pool. We put in both of these animals and Haida kept coming, going by the net and looking at them through the web. I was in the water watching the net in case an animal got tangled. Haida came along with herring and they both came face to face in the net. He actually pushed herring through the mesh and into their mouths and that's how they started feeding. That happened within minutes of them going in the pool. In retrospect, that totally blows me away. It was really astounding."

Meanwhile, back in Pedder Bay, the other three captives continued their fast, getting slimmer and slimmer. After seventy-five days one of them attempted to burst free through the net, and drowned. A few days later the remaining two finally started eating fish and began regaining their health. Wright had sold them to a Texas aquarium but before they could be moved, someone opened the net during the night and let them go. Over the next few years they were seen often on the coast.

Chimo, who was estimated to be five years old and 3.5 metres in length, attracted all the attention that Bob Wright had expected. She was the only white killer whale in captivity in the world, and following her arrival at Sealand, attendance doubled. Jacques Cousteau paid a visit to see her and Wright reportedly turned down an offer of a million dollars for her.

Unhappily, she began exhibiting a series of health problems. A yellow substance appeared on her skin, lesions formed, she lost weight and her echolocation system appeared to be impaired. Chimo was eventually diagnosed with Chediak Higashi syndrome, an inherited disorder of the immune system, also known in humans, that left her highly susceptible to infections. In late October 1972, Chimo became ill and after five days she died of a streptococcal infection that developed into pneumonia. Nootka was later moved to several different aquariums until she ended up in San Diego, where she lived until 1990.

By 1973, well over a dozen aquariums had purchased killer whales taken from the coast of British Columbia and northern Washington State, and a total of 263 animals had been captured, at least temporarily. The "gold rush" atmosphere had begun to arouse concern among researchers and members of the public. It was one thing to keep a small number of animals for purposes of scientific research. It was quite another to have so many on public display, performing tricks in aquariums and oceanariums.

As a first step toward protecting the killer whale population, the governments of Canada (1970) and Washington State (1971) passed legislation banning the harassment of the animals and requiring a permit to capture one. But it was impossible to establish how many whales could be captured safely without knowing the size of the population. It was widely assumed that there were thousands of the animals, but nobody knew for sure.

Dispite the asummed greed onefish is sugesting I ment for guides and comercials to pay equaly extra into revenue Canada whatever sensible fee. This fee would be compensation to the Canadian citizens for us comercial fishermen consuming the resource. Now we use the combined 400 comercial fishermen and 1600 charter boats for a split of the comercial TAC. First nation dude, What does that come to each?
There you go, but 300,400 commercial sport/commercial combined licensed saltwater fishermen.That comes to 23.3 lb of quota, how do you eleminate people?How do you include Bob White & the 1st nations fishers?

Actualy onefish please start a new thread for this one I am eagar to discuss more with you about this other topic!

Back