New Halibut Regulations Update

Craven come on. You and I both know we had a season. What ever it was going to be. We could both go get are halibut when ever we wanted until they shut us down. Now we have a longer season and everybody will be farming though halibut to go get the "Right One", just as stupid as the slot limit on the Salmon that we see everybody farming though. The SFAB worked there asses off to serve themselves, Period.
You are right about one thing thou:

These new regs are not going away, you might as well get used to it and learn to maximize what we have.

glad you and craven had a season.. what about the sports fisherman who only get august and sept to sport fish for halibut... your statement seems a lil self serving..

Hey FD,
You're bashing this decision, yet I didn't see Fog Ducker Fishing Adventures at any of the meetings I've been at. You could have had your say as could anyone in the last few years. Yes this has been going on for years. This didn't just come about over night in one meeting held in the back room as some seem to think. You don't think that extending the season from the fisrt week od August until the end of the year won't help everyone?
What about West Jet, Pacific Coastal, Harbor Air, Hotels, motels, coffee shops and Marina's. Local tackle stores etc. Do you think they should just all close there doors in August.
Who's greedy here? Sounds to me like Joe average that can't killl a 60 pounder everyday. I know my guests just want an oppertunity to Hali fish, and they can't all be here in June or July.

Look at the post Sculpin started about the way it used to be. Last time I measured the inside of a large Igloo cooler it was 89cm. Most of his catch fall far short of that. How is this going to effect guys like him that are happy with normal Halibut? Do a little reserch and find out what the average Hali weighs in your area, or on the North end of the Charlettes.

Maybe take the time to got to the next SFAB meeting in your area.
I think this is great for the over all picture, but of course it's not going to satisfy everyone.
My 2 cents

glad you and craven had a season.. what about the sports fisherman who only get august and sept to sport fish for halibut... your statement seems a lil self serving..
Trophywife, didn't mean it to sound self serving, to be honest I don't halibut fish all that much. But if you are calling anyone self serving that would be the SFAB, that has just sent us down a very dangerous road. And if you think your season just got longer ,you can think again. If the SFAB keeps helping us all out you and I won't be fishing for halibut at all. It will only be the SFAB and the slipper skippers.

Hey FD,
You're bashing this decision, yet I didn't see Fog Ducker Fishing Adventures at any of the meetings I've been at. You could have had your say as could anyone in the last few years. Yes this has been going on for years. This didn't just come about over night in one meeting held in the back room as some seem to think. You don't think that extending the season from the fisrt week od August until the end of the year won't help everyone?
What about West Jet, Pacific Coastal, Harbor Air, Hotels, motels, coffee shops and Marina's. Local tackle stores etc. Do you think they should just all close there doors in August.
Who's greedy here? Sounds to me like Joe average that can't killl a 60 pounder everyday. I know my guests just want an oppertunity to Hali fish, and they can't all be here in June or July.

Look at the post Sculpin started about the way it used to be. Last time I measured the inside of a large Igloo cooler it was 89cm. Most of his catch fall far short of that. How is this going to effect guys like him that are happy with normal Halibut? Do a little reserch and find out what the average Hali weighs in your area, or on the North end of the Charlettes.

I think this is great for the over all picture, but of course it's not going to satisfy everyone.
My 2 cents
Spoken like a true SFAB member. What about all the halibut that will be farmed though to get the slot size? And lets be realistic how many tourists are there after August, not that many.

Trophywife, didn't mean it to sound self serving, to be honest I don't halibut fish all that much. But if you are calling anyone self serving that would be the SFAB, that has just sent us down a very dangerous road. And if you think your season just got longer ,you can think again. If the SFAB keeps helping us all out you and I won't be fishing for halibut at all. It will only be the SFAB and the slipper skippers.

pure speculation and sheeple talk...
SFAB did nothing but make a reccomendation to dfo to figure out a way to extend the season for EVERYONE, yes maybe in haste and not that well planned out, it is what we have to live with so please stop with the sfab bashing....how rude to put them in with slipper skippers, more divide and conquer talk,, baaabaaa baaaa

Yes I Do apologize should not have put them in with the Slipper Skippers, but still do not agree with the slot size

I don't know why you guys are so on edge!? I see no practical way of enforcing this stupid rule (see what ukeedreaming said before) and therefore it is effectively 1/2.

And to bash SFAB is pretty lame. All those years you couldn't care less who is working behind the scenes to represent you in front of the officials and now that it hurts you condemn them? Pfff, give your head a shake! You never came to the meetings? Well, guess what: don't come whining now... Little too late. You let them make the decisions alone in good times so let them make the decision now too and you have no right to complain. Don't just come to the party when the food is out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why you guys are so on edge!? I see no practical way of enforcing this stupid rule (see what ukeedreaming said before) and therefore it is effectively 1/2.

And to bash SFAB is pretty lame. All those years you couldn't care less who is working behind the scenes to represent you in front of the officials and now that it hurts you condemn them? Pfff, give your head a shake! You never came to the meetings? Well, guess what: don't come whining now... Little too late. You let them make the decisions alone in good times so let them make the decision now too and you have no right to complain. Don't just come to the party when the food is out!
All those years that the SFAB worked behind the scenes for a totally thankless job were by me anyway a big thank you.Yes I was a little late to the party but when I could I did attend the meetings. As far as hurting me, not in the least. Like I said earlier my 4-5 halibut a year will not be effected in the least. Slot size fishing is just a bad fishery. Period. And yes there is no practical way of enforcing this stupid rule

it wasn't for the SFAB you guys would be stuck at 1/1 and 12% - you guys bashing are real pieces of work. How making the season longer can be construed as some scheme by the money grubbing guide/lodge community is beyond me - you guys are just so eager to point fingers. Who knows some of you guys might want to actually catch a halibut later in the season, I know I will.

A rather divisive issue. My guess is the majority (but not all) of the "sportfishing for profit" group is one side, and the majority (but not all) of the "sport fishing for fun and dinner" is on the other.

As a true, rec sportfisherman, I believe (don't know) FD's anecdote is the way many clients/customers will feel about the new reg and it will backfire on the "sportfishing for profit" sector in the long run.

But if it means my kids and grandkids (If I wind up having the latter) can fish halibut, it will turn out to be a good decision.

Feel for you guys that do this for a living, stressful times....

How do you measure a halibut anyways, have someone hold the rod and bend over the boat in the waves with a tape measure teetering on your gut? Or bring it aboard and try to measure it as it starts flippin out like crazy? And the ones that swallow hook line and sinker, if it's too big, just cut the line and throw it back? Or do some emergency surgery (kill it) to retrieve your gear from it's stomach, then throw it back? Talk about ********!

Spoken like a true SFAB member. What about all the halibut that will be farmed though to get the slot size? And lets be realistic how many tourists are there after August, not that many.
Well of all the things I do for the better of sport fishing I must admit I'm not a member of SFAB. But those that are, work very hard each and everyday on a lot of issuses so Joe average can get the best bang for his buck.
You shouldn't think for a minute that this is just a few guys trying to get more for themselves.
And for all the Halibut that will be farmed? I fish nothing but circle hooks and almost 100% are lip hooked and easily released if that is what you want to do. Personaly I would much rather be able to catch 83cm Hali every second day of the year and a large one every second day than have a 5 month season.
But each to his own. If you don't like it get involved. The more input the better. What was the last meeting you attended?

ur right Bod ,

Bashin my Bashin
i wasnt at the meetings , as well as %98 percent of all the other sporty's !!!,not all of us live on the island , not all of us can get there without taking a day and a half off of our full time work schedules...this slot implement was pretty new to me and others , judging by the sound of some of these posts , alot of Joes have a problem with it , its my entitled opinion , if u call keeping a handfull of Hali last year ,Greedy, give ur head a shake ,if Sculpin had problems fitting 15lbers or less in his tank, I will personally by him a new cooler. No ones talkin about bonkin 60lbers daily , but i do see alot of 30's and 40's , so just keep ripping em up , letting em go looking for the baby or large female, i dont like this, period,, i know the way the the song goes , once you give , u never get back , and all we've been doing is giving , hard and fast ta boot, time will tell where this goes ,i will suck this up , listen and trust current SFAB members , that it will get better , and soon.. i just believe Joe has came to a boiling point , i wish you and ur buisness no harm , hope the best for all us sports fishers , but this **** has gotta stop,,i also thank all from SFAB for there hard work , i just wish we could be a part of the process " SOMEHOW" before it gets voted in , i feel that the guys that are not able to attend these meetings , are swept under the rug , thats NOT fare , Alot of us Semi Tourists spend a rediculous amount of money in ur Town (s) Ken...not just ur lodge guests !!

last , alot of my friends and neighbors didnt have a problem if it shut down a little early , we just wanted certainty in opening and closing dates , i would have been much happier in a 1/2non slot , who and why was this pushed ??

"most" are in Mature Spring mode August early Sept ??? again , why was this not talked about ??

no dis-respect Ken , just sayun

my rant , im done !!

FD

Hey FD,

My 2 cents

How do you measure a halibut anyways, have someone hold the rod and bend over the boat in the waves with a tape measure teetering on your gut? Or bring it aboard and try to measure it as it starts flippin out like crazy? And the ones that swallow hook line and sinker, if it's too big, just cut the line and throw it back? Or do some emergency surgery (kill it) to retrieve your gear from it's stomach, then throw it back? Talk about ********!
Exactly, this is why this is a bad decision. A slot size fishery just doesn't work it is bad for all fish.

Well of all the things I do for the better of sport fishing I must admit I'm not a member of SFAB. But those that are, work very hard each and everyday on a lot of issuses so Joe average can get the best bang for his buck.
You shouldn't think for a minute that this is just a few guys trying to get more for themselves.
And for all the Halibut that will be farmed? I fish nothing but circle hooks and almost 100% are lip hooked and easily released if that is what you want to do. Personaly I would much rather be able to catch 83cm Hali every second day of the year and a large one every second day than have a 5 month season.
But each to his own. If you don't like it get involved. The more input the better. What was the last meeting you attended?
I must admit the last meeting I was at was last year,but I will be at the next meeting in Victoria.

it wasn't for the SFAB you guys would be stuck at 1/1 and 12% - you guys bashing are real pieces of work. How making the season longer can be construed as some scheme by the money grubbing guide/lodge community is beyond me - you guys are just so eager to point fingers. Who knows some of you guys might want to actually catch a halibut later in the season, I know I will.

Agree with this 100%. Bashing a group that is working towards the best solution for "us all". This was the only choice to make the season longer. Would you prefer to be shut down in August or fish until November? Now if you are concerned with the 30 lb fish getting released only to die, how about using some ethics out there? Just an idea. Don't worry about the other guy, nothing you can do there, worry about doing the right thing and easing up on the meat greed. It's not all about filling the freezer.

It is what it is now for the short term hopefully. If this slot size thing becomes regulation for 2013 there will be alot of pretty disappointed folks out there. The only good thing I can see coming from all of this is hopefully more participation from Joe blow at their local SFAC meetings. I mean the meetings that are on week nights that most folks can attend.

Cheers,
John

I think its a bit wishful that it will be open to November. Id be surprised if its open as long as last year, other reason why the slot makes no sense. THe only way a slot can be actually affective, is if we are accountable. Which we are not. Gonna be fun to watch this play out. And by fun i mean brutal. anyway, its over, and the only way things will change is to get to the meetings. Write letters and emails. Tell the DFO and your local sfab and the sfac how you feel.

Im not sure how ethics has anything to do with a 8/0 hook buried in a halis gut that you have to release because its too big.

Boys, if we had stayed with 1/2 the season would have ended either sometime in late July or early August once we caught our TAC. How fast we fished it out depended on the weather. A poor weather year and we would have gone longer, good weather off the water in July. It is all about the daily average catch and how quickly we reach our cap.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how we approached solving this problem the bitching would have continued. I have to laugh at the comments about no one fishes in August - the numbers tell otherwise. I believe the SFAB examined the catch data and made the best decision under the circumstances using the regulations to ensure all of us have an opportunity to fish Halis for the whole season...but then we complain about that too. Go figure.

Some of you guys making these comments about the SFAB members questioning their dedication and motivation makes me sick. The main board SFAB members put in countless days/weeks/months working for FREE on your behalf. These are really well connected and highly informed and quality people. All this maligning is completely counterproductive. These guys could have been mother Teresa and you would still find something wrong with them.

Sad.

Back