39 27.0 20.3 63 127.5 95.8 90 404.9 304.4
40 29.3 22.0 64 134.2 100.9 92 434.8 326.9
41 31.7 23.8 65 141.1 106.1 94 466.2 350.5
42 34.3 25.8 66 148.2 111.5 96 499.1 375.3
43 37.0 27.8 67 155.6 117.0 98 533.6 401.2
44 39.9 30.0 68 163.3 122.8 100 569.7 428.4

inches lbs 83cm 32 inches 14.2 live 10.7 dressed

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/halibutcharts.htm

11 lbs would be the dressed, head off weight= about 8 lbs of fillets. I can't see them implementing a size limit and not require us to be able to prove that length....if checked. imo, I guess we will find out soon enough

Absolutely they will make you take it home whole-just gutted and gilled-how else are you going to prove under 83 cm. Course maybe we could claim it was a flounder-man this is about the worst scenerio I can think of for the Halibut guiding business. What happens if your first fish out is 20-30 lbs and it's your only trip of the year-guys are going to go for the biggie and be damned to what gets released and in what condition. Whatever happened to the consultative process that the SFAB is supposed to take? Who ever heard this BS before it was brought out. If this was at the SFAB behest they have lost all credibility and they certainly do not speak for me. This is about as bad a decision as could have been brought out. The Commie's have got to be killing themselves laughing. What does it save? Effectively we have got a 1 per day,1 possession-just politically it looks good -we upped our percentage quota-won that skirmish and lost the war. Anybody on the SFAB care to comment?

Wasn't this the guides association mainly responsible for this just recently with their meeting in Port Alberni and they were going to recommend this to the SFAB?

Sport fisherman gets screwed again

this will definatly hurt charters,motels and restaurants especially in small communities which rely on the fishing tourists,they should just use the same system as for chinooks,,fill out the card on your liscense,maybe around 10 hali's a year,,they are killing us,,all the money that us fisherman fork out to go out and enjoy a day on the water,sport fisherman gets screwd again,we have to fight this,,

Wasn't this the guides association mainly responsible for this just recently with their meeting in Port Alberni and they were going to recommend this to the SFAB?
If you have been reading some of the other related threads you would have seen this issue bashed around a lot with one side saying the some guides helped influence a rushed recommendation to DFO with little consultation with the rest of the sportfishing community to help improve their business in Aug-Sept., and the other side saying they/we had no real choice, as this was the least bad of only bad choices DFO was proposing in order to keep the season open longer for all sportfisherman's benefit with a reduced TAC this year.

Take a look for yourself... http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/...libut-Bad-News

I can understand why they recommended what they did, I just don't like how it was done without enough proper consultation with more of the sportfishing community over a bit longer time period. I think the SFAC needs to somehow address this issue at future SFAB meetings to try to keep this situation from creating a potential big rift in the sportfishing sector.

However, in the end, whats done is done. IMHO we need to learn from this situation so we don't let it happen again and stay united and focussed as sportfisherman to keep fighting for better management of our precious fisheries. My 2 bits.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of things:

1) It was the SFAB, not DFO, who brought in this regulation. DFO is responsible for the insulting entrenchment of the ITQ and an 85/15 allocation split that is statistically and operationally no different, whatsoever, from the 88/12 split (I've explained this, in detail, on a couple other threads and if any one wants me to explain it again please pm me). So, whether you are for, or against, this slot limit idea you should direct your thanks and praise or anger and discontent to the SFAB.

2) Unless DFO disallows dressing any halibut they have no way to enforce or inspect your possession fish. DFO Fishery Officers, in the conduct of their duties can inspect your catch while in the act of fishing or handling your catch. However, once in your private vehicle, hotel room your renting, etc, DFO enforcement officer powers of "inspection" versus invasion of privacy and basic constitutional rights were challenged by a group of Alberta judges (inspected in Jasper following a sport fishing trip) which resulted in the requirement of a warrant to conduct such searches. As such, no Fishery officer or other authority can inspect your possession limit without a warrant. No different from the fact police can't inspect your home or vehicle without a warrant, except for under very limited and emergent conditions.

SFAB and West Coast guide Association recommeneded this in an effort to extend the season and stay fishing halibut longer.
As it was with 1/2 possession the season would have possibly been closed early in Aug.

I personally would have been happy with 1/2 and close the season when we get our TAC..
Still gives 5-6 months of Hali fishing with FULL possession limits.
My opinion only.

ya i guess ur right , they would be able to tell pretty close though , they can piece it back together ta see if has been trimmed ,

you would have to eat the rest at camp or lodge...wherever...

but again , ur probably right , i just wonder why DFO just didn't state it right away then ??

lol withe the Oilers , 2 nd last again , tuff ta watch , BUT , there still my boyz..

perhaps a couple of top 4 D , get rid of that butt sore Renney too , his days are numbered , time for change,, thx though...

goin off for a beer with Jeff now , cant wait ta hear his take on this BS...

fd

Hey FD easy to trim a fillet up a bit to meet the requirements so I think it will be a head on or off thing. Hey your coilers played well last night good to see :)

SFAB and West Coast guide Association recommeneded this in an effort to extend the season and stay fishing halibut longer.
As it was with 1/2 possession the season would have possibly been closed early in Aug.

I personally would have been happy with 1/2 and close the season when we get our TAC..
Still gives 5-6 months of Hali fishing with FULL possession limits.
My opinion only.
X2 SFAB thanks for nothing. I hope you are all proud of yourself self for screwing all the rec sport fishermen out there. You have taken us down a very dangerous road that I see no way of turning back. Again thanks for nothing. I like many others would have been happy to see it shut down earlier than go down this road that you have now taken us on. I hope you are all very proud of yourselves. I for one will no longer support you in anything you do in the future. Signed VERY PISSED OFF.

Guys, think about this...
the SFAB have worked their asses off trying to give us a season.
it's not perfect, but at least we can fish.
Without their efforts DFO could impose anything they wanted and we would have to live with it.

When was the last time you went Hallie fishing with a buddy , landed 2 over
and were pissed off ?
You could fish the next day, just selectively or go chase salmon .

these new regs are not going away, you might as well get used to it and learn to maximize what we have.

JMHO

I wonder if they will adjust their calculation and methodology when estimating the sportie portion of the tac? Sure as heck better...

Craven - I get your point when living in Vic and fishing constance --- no big deal. However, for those like me who make four trips a year or more to the WCVI, this is a big deal and even a bigger deal for the many fine charter operators on WCVI. The lodges too --- I think that those who have committed to the "hali specials" during the shoulder season at the many WCVI lodges are thinking of bailing, or at least not planning on booking in 2013.

I think this may backfire on the guides who have lobbied for this, in the long run.

If your mad, there is a SFAC meeting in Vic tonight, One next week in comox, And one the week after near nootka i think. Whats done is done direct your energy into making a difference and making sure it doesnt happen again. In the end the real problem is the 85/15, However in the short term get to the meetings, say your piece, be heard, make your self known. That is more important then anything. We can flip out(i have for the last 2 weeks and of course im not happy) but its over. Im done raging on the internet, make a difference in places that matter.

Guys, think about this...
the SFAB have worked their asses off trying to give us a season.
it's not perfect, but at least we can fish.
Without their efforts DFO could impose anything they wanted and we would have to live with it.

When was the last time you went Hallie fishing with a buddy , landed 2 over
and were pissed off ?
You could fish the next day, just selectively or go chase salmon .

these new regs are not going away, you might as well get used to it and learn to maximize what we have.

JMHO
Craven come on. You and I both know we had a season. What ever it was going to be. We could both go get are halibut when ever we wanted until they shut us down. Now we have a longer season and everybody will be farming though halibut to go get the "Right One", just as stupid as the slot limit on the Salmon that we see everybody farming though. The SFAB worked there asses off to serve themselves, Period.
You are right about one thing thou:

These new regs are not going away, you might as well get used to it and learn to maximize what we have.

Funny Story for you guys that agree with this $hit..

a buddy of mine has got a thousand bucks burnin in his pocket to go fish hali for a couple of days , just got off the phone with him ,
told em that's hilarious , they just opened it ,he does not follow this stuff,,,, BUT , there is a slot size in affect I told him,
we'd have to go out twice ta get you your max of 2 posession ....
BUT , the second day we would have ta get one 15lbs or smaller ! you know what he said ... F--k THAT , ur frikken kidding me right !!

So , he decided to now wait until the salmon fishing picks up ! and do a combo trip ,

NO Early Season Booking for Jeff at Mills landing " ???

I agreed with him , Its not worth going , again , i aint keeping baby flatties...

maybe it works out for you guys that live on the fishing grounds , not for most though.....

gonna be alot of released dying halibut this year : (

FD

Craven come on. You and I both know we had a season. What ever it was going to be. We could both go get are halibut when ever we wanted until they shut us down. Now we have a longer season and everybody will be farming though halibut to go get the "Right One", just as stupid as the slot limit on the Salmon that we see everybody farming though. The SFAB worked there asses off to serve themselves, Period.
You are right about one thing thou:

These new regs are not going away, you might as well get used to it and learn to maximize what we have.

Change is inevitable , I'm not saying give up the fight, but lets realize theres a big machine running this....
Don't get me wrong, i'm not happy either but we have to find a way to make it work to our best advantage
until funding can be achieved to challenge this in court.

Washington state has been hit harder that us, and somehow even they manage to salvage some kind of season.
Looking for words of wisdom Charlie..... please.:)

I will no longer support anything the SFAB does or recommends-they represent nothing as far as I can see other than their own selfish guiding,lodges and business interests. Not much better than slipper skippers. They certainly do not have the interests of the ordinary sportsfisherman at heart! A total sellout!! My Rant!!!

Back