New Governance Model needed for Freshwater Fisheries Society

searun

It looks like the province is now going to direct 100% of all freshwater license fees to the Freshwater Fisheries Society. A good thing as all revenue will be going directly into fisheries management/programs. Some may recall that previously the provincial government sucked 22% of license fees into the general revenue coffers.

Now that this is in place, it is time for a different governance model. The Freshwater Fisheries Society in my view should now be managed by a proper management board with CEO to provide direction to the society. In particular, I believe that those folks who directly fund the Society should have input into how it is managed through a proper management board structure. That way anglers could sit as Directors and provide management of the Society with governance direction.

This type of management model would in my view bring greater accountability to the Society to align programs and service delivery to the vision provided to it by those of us who directly provide the funds to run it.

What do you think?

Yes this is fantastic news that all our freshwater licence fees will be put back into service delivery. The Freshwater Fisheries Society already has a governance model very much as you describe Searun - including a board of directors and CEO. It was set up this way from the beginning. The information is on their website gofishbc.com
COD

This should be open and accountable to all stakeholders, as in everyone who is a contributor should have some chance at being heard. This should be kept away from bureaucratic interference and agenda highjacking, as is sadly not the case with federal fisheries.

All I'm saying is if you look at the current governance structure there isn't any representation at the BOD level from any of the NGO's - why not? Examine the background of some Directors. Not that they are not doing a good job or well intentioned, just that we need greater representation from constituents. Seems a little too close to former Ministry having Directors with former affiliation to government. Where are the die hard anglers and NGO's? Seems to me that is an element of the governance model that is missing!

I'm guessing that a lot of anglers would be directing management to spend the organization's resources differently, thus the need to see more BOD representation from NGO's and anglers.

Really, well tell us what you think a lot of anglers would want.

I'm guessing that a lot of anglers would be directing management to spend the organization's resources differently, thus the need to see more BOD representation from NGO's and anglers.

Really, well tell us what you think a lot of anglers would want.

I think they want a "say" in how the money anglers are contributing is directed. I gather you would not wish for the recreational angling community, NGO's etc to have input? Not sure what you are getting at?

Input would have to come from the total province with a group made up as the SFAB is. Anything less is not a real input but just a select group pushing their agenda.
The province does not want this and has turned down before.
Anglers are not contributing they are paying a tax imposed by the government.

The public should have input into ICBC, hydro etc.etc. for the reasons you state.

I think they want a "say" in how the money anglers are contributing is directed. I gather you would not wish for the recreational angling community, NGO's etc to have input? Not sure what you are getting at?

The SFAB is a great "advisory" process, but it doesn't have the authority structure to provide management oversight. There is nothing wrong with a governance Board structure so long as there is some way to ensure the shareholders (in this case anglers who pay) can provide management direction. Management boards are pretty much the industry gold standard in the free world - they work in most cases where the shareholders have fair representation.

Well as there is no group that speaks for sportsfishing at the provincial and federal level then this is just a dream.
Fishermen cannot agree on anything. That is why there is so many groups that have agendas.
At the government level they have shown they do not care about fish and politics show this to be true.
Sportsfishermen do not have a lobby as the commercial group do so always lose to that sector.
The sfab at least has input from the whole province unlike other groups and is set up so they have input from everyone in a democratic way.

You should go as far as to say people on whole don't agree on anything... That is why we our human after all....so should we all just throw our arms up ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Until there is a lobby working on this at the provincial and federal level then nothing is going to change.
This has been the way since the sfab was formed by dfo.
The commercial group owns dfo through lobbiests. That is why the sportsfishermen have to fight dfo for everything.
So, until the sportsfishermen get a fulltime lobbyiest in ottawa and victoria then nothing will change.
Even now, DFO is ignoring the SFAB input required of them and doing what they want with the input of the commercial sector.
This is all about money and the sports sector has none and is so divided that there is no group uniting them for the fight.
We are talking about raising hundreds of thousands a year.
This is not a job for volunteers but paid people and so far that is not happening.
If they were to make the sfab a paid organization, then this might happen. However they would need to raise serious money each year.
So, you know anyone who has the qualifications and drive to do this?

You should go as far as to say people on whole don't agree on anything... That is why we our human after all....so should we all just throw our arms up ?

Thats what i did! Seems to be working for me!

Got this email a few days ago.

Dear POLIS Colleagues & Water Friends,

I am writing to make you aware of the upcoming event Watersheds 2014: Towards Watershed Governance in British Columbia & Beyond—a forum designed to support skills development and capacity-building for watershed groups, First Nations, and community watershed champions. Registration for this unique event is now open!

WHEN: January 27th to 29th, 2014
WHERE: Quw'utsun' Cultural and Conference Centre, Duncan, British Columbia
HOW TO REGISTER: Visit www.watersheds2014.ca/registration

This is not a forum for talking heads, but a “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-to-work” event. Come prepared to share your experiences and learn from your peers. You will become part of a network of engaged volunteers and professionals, and learn how to better collaborate with stakeholders, government, industry, and not-for-profits to improve collaborative governance. And, you’ll be supported in bringing your new knowledge back to your home watersheds.

The entire event has been designed with participants’ needs at top of mind. Pre-forum research means the sessions are customized to address priority topics, such as resilience thinking, drinking water source protection planning, and the role of First Nations rights and title in decision-making. There will also be opportunities to learn from other participants about successful—and not-so-successful—programs and strategies from other regions and internationally.

This forum is designed for:

• watershed groups
  • researchers
  • professional resource managers
  • decision-makers at all levels of government, including First Nations
The event is being organized by the POLIS Water Sustainability Project, situated at the Centre for Global Studies at the University of Victoria, the University of Victoria’s Department of Geography, and Brock University’s Environmental Sustainability Research Centre, with significant funding from the Canadian Water Network and with the support of numerous other partners and sponsors.

Please help us spread the word about this exiting event. We hope to see you there!

All the best,
Laura
-----
Laura Brandes, B.Sc.(H)
Communications Director, POLIS Water Sustainability Project, University of Victoria
Leadership Team, Watersheds 2014: Towards Watershed Governance in British Columbia & Beyond
www.poliswaterproject.org | @POLISWater
www.watersheds2014.ca

Back