Conservatives Fisheries Platform

Funny thing is that's exactly what people were saying when they kicked the Conservatives out of office in 2015 I think it was.
Canadians tend to vote out their Governments rather than voting them in.
Yup. We are screwed. No good options. Most vote against and not for. They have all proven to be lying bastards that do not put the environment and Canadian Tradition as a priority.
Sad when a minority gov is best bet too limit the damage done.

A very old friend of mine advised me many years ago to "vote for the govt that you feel will harm you the least". Often times it is hard to identify who qualifies using this criteria.

Last edited:
I think this thread is drifting away from its purpose. I would like to see the platforms from the other party's so forum members can be better educated. Once the other platforms are layed out, then healthy discussions can be had.

I think voters need to look at the current conditions/threats that need addressed for our fishery. If those are not addressed then any forward goals are almost irrelevant. Looking in the rear view mirror is not helpful.

I think this thread is drifting away from its purpose. I would like to see the platforms from the other party's so forum members can be better educated. Once the other platforms are layed out, then healthy discussions can be had.

I think voters need to look at the current conditions/threats that need addressed for our fishery. If those are not addressed then any forward goals are almost irrelevant. Looking in the rear view mirror is not helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't see a detailed platform for the fisheries portfolio yet for the NDP or Liberals yet. Hopefully, they release more details instead of just high-level fluff. I do appreciate that the Conservatives have released some actual details.

I've seen some cons members rallying for fishing votes, some of them might actually care about it too... What I would say is look at each ones record in the past. Who has funded DFO/Coast guard. Who has cut funding to them. Part of the reason we are where we are now is political interference in science based management, and chronic under funding. To be clear, I often wonder WTF dfo is thinking, especially with the recent announcement that they will allow power boats with gillnets into the tyee pool. With that said I personally know people working in DFO who care deeply about the state of the fishery.

Below are numbers I've looked up - They don't give a clear picture as its got fisheries and coast guard in the same bucket.. Someone would have to dig deeper to give a more precise account. My personal perception is that the liberals are trying to improve things at this point. I dont like closures. But I'd rather closures over the short term than nothing over the long term. Maybe someone else can dig deeper into this and look at the 1970-2000 and see if / when fisheries started to get underfunded. There used to be a lot more boots on the ground, monitoring, information, actual stream counts etc.

Last edited:
Unbiased numbers - In the last 4 years the liberals have increased funding by more than 30%.

YearGOVBudget Fisheries Oceans/Coast Guard
In Billions of dollars/
2000​
Lib
1.12​
2001​
Lib
1.3​
2002​
Lib
1.3​
2003​
Lib
1.47​
2004​
Lib
1.4​
2005​
Lib
1.35​
2006​
Con
1.5​
2007​
Con
1.56​
2008​
Con
1.7​
2009​
Con
1.63​
2010​
Con
1.89​
2011​
Con
1.85​
2012​
Con
1.87​
2013​
Con
1.69​
2014​
Con
1.76​
2015​
Lib
1.67​
2016​
Lib
1.64​
2017​
Lib
2​
2018​
Lib
2.1​
2019​
Lib
2.5​
2020​
Lib
2.8​
https://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/201/301/public_accounts_can/pdf/index.html

Ive said it years ago on here and its well established Liberals are good for Fish, conservation, habitat and First Nations. The Conservatives are good for accesses to fishing, enforcement and generally stonewalling first nations.

The issue is the Liberals have basically IMO closed to much acesses and have punished the fish industry with reconciliation as well as took a hands off approach to illegal salmon fishing on the west coast.

they both have there +/- and both share of the responsibility of where we are today. Its clear though that the Liberals are going full steam ahead with reconciliation and that will simply mean more allocation for First Nations.

Last edited:
I think that's a decently accurate summary, WMY. Matches my experiences, as well.

The underfunding of DFO really started w Harper (Conservative) where he gutted the enforcement, stock assessment branches of DFO, as well as gutted numerous acts - the least of all - and the most important - the Fisheries Act (and the CEEA, and the Ports Act, etc.) largely thru highly undemocratic omnibus bills.

I also think the Conservatives are generally more polished than the Liberals in keeping their back room deals secret (exception Jason Kenney provincially) where the drama teacher likes to share his drama and acting. Both parties are crooks, IMHO.

The best way to tell if you are doing donuts in the fog is to look behind you at your wake....

Personally I would like to see all parties plan for fisheries. Its more about comparing them than it is about attacking them. Wonder why fisheries is never an issue? It’s a lot safer to say nothing, do nothing and never be accused of breaking a promise. Notice how other special interest groups get their concerns front and centre, it isn’t by being quiet and not demanding action.

Interesting how many people over complicate this issue. Fact: Keep voting the way you're voting and politicians will keep doing what they're doing. Was our common interest, sport fishing, in better condition under Conservative regulations? Were factions that oppose us being better controlled?

This thread was starting to drift away from a fisheries focus. We have said in the past, and nothing has changed, discussions of politics other than those that are fisheries based will not happen here. That is what Twitter is for.

I will jump in with my two cents! I agree with the opinion that Harper was a big problem for gutting the fisheries, especially in his last term. Liberals came in the first mandate with lots promises just look at the mandate letter to the Fisheries Minister. What we have seen under to Liberal mandates is a huge erosion of access for sport fishing despite enormous efforts by SFAB to find science and data based solutions to create opportunities.

Just look at Vancouver where we're pretty much closed to fishing Chinook April 1 to September 1. The Vancouver public chinook fishery is on the verge of collapse. Current regulations have created enormous social and economic impacts. Having been involved in multiple meetings with Liberal MP's, DFO staff and senior advisors to the Minister nothing has changed. In Howe Sound we have seen proposals and sponge reefs that will limit access even further during open times. We have money being spent by the Liberals to create Marine Protected Areas where fishing is going to be banned! Marked Selective Fishery has been supported by 25 MP's in BC none of which are Liberal in a letter to the Fisheries Minister. The current Fisheries Minister continues to drag her feet on MSF. A rampant illegal gillnet fishery continues to thrive on the Fraser taking the very Chinook and Sockeye stocks of concern and blind eye is turned on this.

As one well informed friend said recently after another SFAB proposal was rejected by DFO or I mean directly by the Prime Ministers office to create an opening in the Vancouver area in August for Chinook "The public is now very aware of the tens of thousands of chinook that were harvested by FN FSC gill net fisheries August 2019 and August 2020. I believe the combined total for the two years is in excess of 50,000 chinook, and let’s not forget the numerous endangered sockeye and sturgeon that were killed as a result. While these chinook were harvested the public had zero opportunity in the Vancouver area for the same chinook. I believe historical public retention of these fish is in the 3,000 range in August and early September around Vancouver and the Fraser Mouth. Nobody is debating FSC priority, but we need more balance, this not an exclusive resource for certain user groups. Government and DFO has a responsibility to manage the resource for all Canadians. We can achieve balance through well thought out opportunities such as the one presented above, minimizing impact and maximizing social and economic gain.
There is 0 balance here. DFO needs to provide some reasonable opportunity for the public to harvest chinook stocks of non-concern (Thompson 4.1) while FN FSC is harvesting tens of thousands in river in non-selective gill nets. We have the ability to limit our impact based on timing and not retaining fish over 80 cm. Gill nets do not. FN harvested about 23,000 chinook in the Fraser last year. The public has had and continues to have 0 opportunity to harvest selectively around Vancouver."

I know this is a saltwater forum but as keen freshwater fisherman as well many may not know that all rivers are closed to even catch and release salmon fishing unless otherwise opened by DFO in Region 2. Taking away Catch and release has been used as another pawn to appease certain NGO's and First Nations that want us off the water entirely! Another Liberal move to continue to remove access for the public fishery!

What I will tell you is 3 BC MP's in Bob Zimmer, Ed Fast and Mel Arnold have worked very hard to change things in the Conservative party with regards to Fisheries. They have come out strongly in support Mark Selective Fishery, Fish Traps rather then gillnets, targeted enhancement, increased enforcement especially on illegal fisheries and improved public access to harvest and fish for healthy salmon stocks. This message is being heard and the Conservative party is not the same approach that was under fisheries during Harper's time, despite some people wanting to play that card. I liken it to a more Brian Mulroney Progressive Conservative approach to fisheries or when my good friend John Fraser was the Fisheries Minister.

A vote for a Trudeau Liberal right now under their current framework that has not changed in two terms and means further cuts and less access for sport fishing! Is that what we all want???

Back