Needing a new crab trap What do you recommend?

Islandgirl

Before Christmas someone decided they like my stainless trap more than me and it was heisted in the Alberni inlet. Going to buy a new one so looking for recommendations

Looks like the one that was heisted... had it for about 7 years...sold out too

Looks like the one that was heisted... had it for about 7 years...sold out too
I also had one identical to that stolen a few years back. Those smaller high-end ss traps are very popular with the scumbag thieves.
Now I have well-used commercial ss traps which the thieves seem a lot less interested in, and you can usually find them cheap. They catch a lot of crabs and, as importantly, will hold them for days without the crabs finding a way out. A lot of the cheaper traps may catch some (not as many as commercial traps) but do not hold them well for any period of time, especially the ones that have to be assembled and are clipped together.

I’m not sure where you were crabbing but there are around 5-8 floats sitting at China creek right now. My guess is they have all been set either near Franklin or Cous, the current got them and they have drifted into China creek. They are all smaller floats . Just thought I’d throw it out there incase maybe the large outflows from the rivers got yours.

I would look for used commercial crab traps. leave them out all day or even overnight. You will get more crabs then you will with most if not all the smaller sporty type traps.

I’m not sure where you were crabbing but there are around 5-8 floats sitting at China creek right now. My guess is they have all been set either near Franklin or Cous, the current got them and they have drifted into China creek. They are all smaller floats . Just thought I’d throw it out there incase maybe the large outflows from the rivers got yours.
Thanks for the info, but I was much south of there.

I don't bother with higher end traps as they don't catch more crabs per se, they just last longer. But with all the theft out there, unless you are going to watch your traps all the time (not too practical for crabbing, I say just go with the cheaper coated wire traps, less likely to be stolen and if they are less expensive to replace. Sad, but true.

I don't bother with higher end traps as they don't catch more crabs per se, they just last longer. But with all the theft out there, unless you are going to watch your traps all the time (not too practical for crabbing, I say just go with the cheaper coated wire traps, less likely to be stolen and if they are less expensive to replace. Sad, but true.
Have tried cheap traps and commercial traps with the same bait on a string and the commercial traps always out fish the cheaper traps. Most likely due to the door design allowing less escapement.

Adding a pencil weight to the doors on the cheaper traps helps a lot. Also bend up the forks in the door that might drag through the sand. Also make sure you remove the shipping elastic. I also like zap strapping two of the doors closed so they can cram themselves into the sides better without keeping the doors ajar.

Yup, just customize the cheap box ones, with weights, weighted trap doors, weights on the line and extra large bait holders - works good for me.

I saw those stainless Super Traps at Cabellas for $129 in stock. They also had stainless version of the basic blue box traps for $75 which I thought were cool.
Last year I tested a bunch of traps in Renfrew between 3 friends. Results were: Commercial trap caught the most. *We concluded that they are bigger and crabs can't get out. The big Octagon Blue traps were next best. *Same reason I think. My new $150 stainless trap similar to the Super Trap was not much different than the cheap blue traps. All traps caught lots in short soaks. The first 2 mentioned retained the most so were the best over all. More bait is better. Keeps them interested longer.

Back