need new battery

My battery is replaced every two years one thing I would never ever buy as a Canadian Tire battery Sorry but they are garbage

this is almost as hard as picking out tires for my truck.lol

i talked to a campbell river merc dealer, the best battery in his opinion for the opti's were the yellow top maxima deep cycle/starting battery and to purchase them at lordco, oh, he doesnt recomend deep cycle bats because of the charging system and the voltage requirement of the optimax.
he also said that blue tops are crap stay away from them. buy deep cycle/starting battery.hence the yellow top.

off to lordco to look at yellow tops i go...
the guy at the service desk at lordco who was helping me told me the yellow top was junk and i should purchase a lorco brand starting and a lordco brand deep cycle.he did seem to know his stuff. something is wrong here! i didnt make a purchase.
i phoned a local dealer in courtenay and they recommend a deep cycle bat? hmmm im sure learning alot about batteries and dealers in the last couple days.lol thanks for all the info and opinions.

Battery life is dependant on a couple of things-I suppose it's the initial quality of the battery and probably the care and service it gets. I don't imagine that crappy tire , Costco or Walmart have the best quality batteries but with care they will last. That means never letting them fully discharge, need water(distilled or appropriate water) never tap water and making sure terminals are clean and that the charging rates are appropriate. If you buy an expensive battery and don't maintain it ;it will last no longer than a cheap one. Load test them at the start of every year. I have never used a Costco battery-I suspect they are as good or better than cdn tire-Check warranties and keep the paper work. I might Switch to Costco this year but to keep the batteries the same I would have to buy 2, so it will have to depend on what is required. Crappy tire has never failed to give a reasonable life!

It never ceases to amaze. Joe Blow buys a battery from Canadian Tire and it craps out so he says he`ll never buy another one there. Tom Blow buys a battery from Joe Smith Auto and has used it for 10 years, trouble free , so they have to be the best batteries out there.
Unknown to them , both batteries were made in the poop-a-lite battery plant in Squareville Ont. Only the label is different.
There are hundreds of battery brands out there and as of a few years back there were only three manufacturing plants in North America.
It`s as bad as the guy who says he will never buy another Yami kicker but sure likes the Merc he has. Someone then points out to him that the power head is made by Yamaha.
Oh and then we have the guy that bought a Mazda pickup 3 years ago had some bad luck and says he`d never buy another one. He sure likes his Ford ranger though ~~~

Sorry about the rant but if you buy anything cheap you are likely to receive what you paid for and even the best manufacturer puts out the odd dud .

Fishing board drama is amazing!

Go with the kirkland batteries Todd, A good warranty is a great thing to have. I am using two different brands at the moment with no issues. One deep cycle and one starting. You need your marine cranking amp rating to be 1000 for the optimax for optimal starting.

hey KC!! its been a wile! thanks for the advise. kirkland bats are 845 mca...

i think im going to do the same and have 1 deep cycle/starting 845 mca - and 1 starting 1000 mca.

will that be a issue if they are different makes?
if i have my bat switch on "both" will that cause a problem if one bat is gel/agm and 1 is wet?

HAHAHAHA, im sure they do, i sure wish FA wasnt banned so he could reply to that, cause you even used a quote of his, fisher down you have no idea how ironic that is,lmao.....holmes*
Holmes I guess I missed out on the fun, you'll have to pm me what happened, I'm sure he deserved it, no loss there.
anyway as far as batteries buy the best you can, think of it this way you might get a jump start before that northerly blows up, then again....................................
I don't think you can go too far wrong with optima's, a quick rule of thumb when comparing specs is to look at battery weight, the heavier the battery the more lead used in plate contruction
the better the battery you will get. JMO along with everyone else's

i think im going to do the same and have 1 deep cycle/starting 845 mca - and 1 starting 1000 mca.

if i have my bat switch on "both" will that cause a problem if one bat is gel/agm and 1 is wet?

Yup it's a problem.
Don't use both for day to day use. Use Both in an emergency only.
If the batteries were the same type and the same age you could use both.
I would not run like that but I do know other guys that do.

Going thru the same shopping because I want to change out mine too.
Not sure what I'm going to do.
GLG

Been a while for sure Todd. I have my main engine isolated to the start battery and my sonar,downriggers,and kicker isolated to the deep cycle battery. Isolator switch connects them all in case of emergency. I have been running this setup for over two years now with no issues. Starting battery is a interstate and the deep cycle is a ****** nautilus from crappy tire. Skip the crappy tire battery if possible.

I know !!!! You`ve been running with scissors in your hand for years and never hurt yourself so your mother must have been wrong. So now, using the same thought process, anyone who advises, that batteries should be matched and both replaced at the same time, must also been wrong.

Minimum cold cranking amps (CCA/SAE): 380.0 A
Minimum marine cranking amps (MCA/ABYC): 502.0 A
Minimum reserve capacity (RC/SAE): 124 minutes

OK this is for my 2005 115 Yamaha 4-stroke and 8hp 4-stroke Yamaha kicker
Looks like I can use anything I want.
Think I will go with a matched pair of deep cycle / starting batteries.
Alternate batteries on different days.
I'm not comfortable running on both but that's just me.

Might look for one of those things to auto switch the charge depending on requirements.

Note I have used CDN tire and they have served me well for many years on different boats.
Might give Costco a go as others have mentioned.
Unless I can find something better as this is one area that I have control over.
GLG

I went through a number of sets of crap tire batteries which are all made by Exide, and wasn't happy. I put a pair of Johnson batteries (Everstart, Eveready, Kirkland) in the boat and have been very pleased with their performance.

I'm not comfortable running on both but that's just me.

Might look for one of those things to auto switch the charge depending on requirements.GLG

GLG, I agree fully with your statement about an 'auto switch'.
I did it myself last year, identical to how Sculpin did his this winter,
using Blue Sea's Add a Battery PN 7650.

Here's the Blue Sea schematic, and Sculpin's image as well (great job John).

F D

Attachments

• Blue Sea's SI-Series ACR.jpg
    Blue Sea's SI-Series ACR.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Sculpin.jpg
    Sculpin.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 126
Yup that's really nice.
I do wonder how the kicker plugs in but I guess right next to the main motor.
Just run one at a time or both in an emergency.
I did notice the starting battery in the BS schematic and I'm thinking to get a way from that as my main does not need the amps to light up.
Thanks for the post.
GLG

Back