Battery to run electronics/autopilot/HP Downriggers and spend time on the hook

kaelc

My Group 27's don't seem up to the task of running two Lowrance screens, a network, autopilot, radio, 1kw and totalscan transducer and HP downriggers. After trolling for a few hours and running for 30 minutes the pot puller draws down the batterie to under 12V.

Looking at 31 AGM Deep Cycle Batteries or a starting battery and big bad boy like this but the weight concerns me 45k+ https://volts.ca/products/12v-230ah-agm-super-cycle-batt-m8-introduction-price

What are you running for high uses days and overnight as well, want to be able to run a heater/fan through the night and maybe a little music and maybe add a tiny fridge with an efficient compressor.

Trying to avoid spending 4k on Lithium Ion since I already have conventional onboard charging etc....unless there is a way to do it under $1500

I run a lot more then that and have no problem with 2x27 group size batteries for the house. I’d do all the math and see why your having a problem more draw and not enough charge etc etc.

i use northstar NSB-AGM31M batteries. they work fine. i also have solar and a outback DC genny but usually the batteries + solar will power me through easily.

Watts in and watts out. It doesn't matter how much capacity you have if you aren't putting it back in. Eventually you will run out of battery unless you get home and back on a charger. I did a load check for a buddy and it was suprising how much all the onboard electronics draw and how little a kicker supplies while trolling.

Can’t imagine your killing 2 group 27s on the house side in a single day out fishing unless they’re tired have them checked out. Run the main when using your puller. The heater fan and stereo shouldn’t be an issue if your batteries are healthy.

to confirm you have 3 batteries total or 2? Might look at adding a panel to the roof for time spent at anchor or on the dock not plugged in.

I have a lot of electronics running while on the hook or fishing. 3 GPS units, AIS, at times radar, 2 radios, stereo, charging cell phones...no engines running. Also running AP when trolling. Quite a bit of load on the system to say the least.

After quite a lot of research and consulting various experts on how to manage power consumption vs storage capacity the common factor was my battery system was constantly in a state of being under charged. That impacted battery performance. But following advice of experts...I installed a 100W solar panel mounted on my hard top to put a controlled charge on my system. Not being an expert on anything electrical, the charging system for dummies explanation for me to grasp was the solar system controller monitors battery capacity etc, and charges at a rate that matches what the system can handle, keeping them at optimal charge. Prior to solar, I had lots of battery issues and low voltage warnings. After solar, no problem. I anchor for hali, run my electronics, and so far no issues.

That's my experience 1 season in on 2 fresh 24 house batteries for what its worth.

Cost - the solar system was something like $700, but IMO worth every penny not to be dealing with battery issues, low power problems, constant worry. The panel I went for was a flexible panel designed to be extremely flexible and tough. The panel can be driven over by a vehicle and suffer no damage. Definitely recommend a flexible panel over rigid glass version.

Last edited:
I think solar is a necessity on any boat these days. Unless you're parking it in your driveway every night.

Worth looking into 2 x 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for your house loads. That will give you more amp hours than a group 31. This assumes you have a separate start battery (group 27 should be fine).

Firefly carbon foam batteries are pricier than AGM, but more tolerant of not being fully recharged after each use. Lithium is the next step up in price and performance, but last time I did any research the reviews were mixed. I think Pacific Yacht Systems recently posted a video on the latest in lithium marine batteries that be been meaning to watch. Check out Panbo as well. He recently reviewed some lithium batteries if you are considering them.

Golf cart batteries are great but you’ll get the same AH from 2 good 12v paralleled as you will 2 6v in series and the weight is the same but when one fails your not SOL if you stick to the 12vs Check all your connections and make sure your wiring is sized properly never know what the last guy thought was ok…

Can’t imagine your killing 2 group 27s on the house side in a single day out fishing unless they’re tired have them checked out. Run the main when using your puller. The heater fan and stereo shouldn’t be an issue if your batteries are healthy.

to confirm you have 3 batteries total or 2? Might look at adding a panel to the roof for time spent at anchor or on the dock not plugged in.
Thanks. One 27 starting, one 27 house battery. Guest 20 amp charger.

I have been considering some panels, I tried a Coleman on but broke it. Renogy has 50w flexible on sale for a good price. Only issue is winter boating, but I may buy a generator for that anyways.

I used to run 2 12v batteries but upgraded last year after having a couple close calls while on anchor. I now run a single starting battery and two 6V Rolls house batteries in series. Since making the switch, I’ve had zero issues with low batteries.

I have been considering some panels, I tried a Coleman on but broke it. Renogy has 50w flexible on sale for a good price. Only issue is winter boating, but I may buy a generator for that anyways.
Would go 100w on the panel min imo to make it worthwhile. If it were me I would add a 27 to your house bank and call it a day (doubles your current AH) that’s tons of power for what your looking to do and it sounds like your starts isolated already which is important

Are you sure you're charging your house when you're underway? Do you have a charge controller?

Big batteries are a good option if you have the space. In my situation (and possibly others) I have somewhat limited space for 4 batteries crammed into a very tight area. One starter per engine (twins), and I could not fit a 27 anywhere in the limited space and hatch opening. Only 24's would fit. Even with 2 24's as house batteries, they simply could not keep up. Too many amps out not enough going in to recover the system charge. So nice thing about having 100w solar or better is the battery system is in a constant state of being topped up unless you have the boat parked in a shop - in which case a charger is readily available.

Get a solar setup, you can get a rigid renogy mono panel and mppt controller for under $300. Pretty great value. Flexible panels may offer more mounting options but they’re less efficient and shorter lived compared to rigid. They’re generally mounted right to a surface without airflow so they get hot in the sun which affects lifespan and output. Panels want to be cold. MPPT will give you more out of your panels than a PWM especially if you have multiple panels in series with higher input voltage. It won’t waste the extra like a PWM.

Get a solar setup, you can get a rigid renogy mono panel and mppt controller for under $300. Pretty great value. Flexible panels may offer more mounting options but they’re less efficient and shorter lived compared to rigid. They’re generally mounted right to a surface without airflow so they get hot in the sun which affects lifespan and output. Panels want to be cold. MPPT will give you more out of your panels than a PWM especially if you have multiple panels in series with higher input voltage. It won’t waste the extra like a PWM.

Thanks that’s a crazy good price. A Victron MMTP 20amp charge contrôlér used to be more than that by its self without the panel and everything.

Back