LiFePO4 batteries

Softtake

I am looking into LiFePO4 batteries in an attempt to lighten my backend. I want to run one battery for both starting and electronics like I do now but I've read that LiFePO4 batteries are not the best for starting. Prices seem to be quite variable. Any words of wisdom with respect to the different brands that are available? I need to start a 60 hp 4 stroke and run downriggers and sounder. Any advice is appreciated.

I am looking into LiFePO4 batteries in an attempt to lighten my backend. I want to run one battery for both starting and electronics like I do now but I've read that LiFePO4 batteries are not the best for starting. Prices seem to be quite variable. Any words of wisdom with respect to the different brands that are available? I need to start a 60 hp 4 stroke and run downriggers and sounder. Any advice is appreciated.
You’ll need a dc to dc charger as well to protect the battery from the alternator I believe. Few have CCA listed and you need need to figure out cold charging protection. I just went for a Costco AGM battery. So much cheaper and could be more reliable than some of the lifepo4 brands.

I would go with a standard Lead-Acid, or AGM if you want to get fancy but mount it in the bow. You'll need some longer and thicker Battery Cables(2-4Ga) but adding weight in the front is twice as effective as just reducing from the back.

To make their numbers look good the lithium manufacturers test for a few seconds. Which consumers then compare to lead acid batteries tested for 30-150 or even 240 seconds.
It is apples to potatoes.

Just thought I would mention this. All engines that use an ECU, EMM or any kind of electronic computer or module that runs injection and charging, starting circuits cannot use deep cycle or lithium batteries to start and run. This also pertains to your vehicle. OEM manufactures will not warrant their stuff at that point. They cause damage to rectifier circuits, start motors, and transistor circuits that have to maintain voltage. Long story short, not a good idea. Will cause problems

Back