Buying a New Battery

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I'm looking at a new battery, I want to buy the Kirkland at Costco, which has 845 cranking amps,
120 amp hours, and 180 min. reserve. But looking at Trojan for $15 more, and it has a 1000
cranking amps. I'm not sure about the other specs. Both deep cycle, I'm running a 115 outboard.
Am I better off with more cranking amps or is it overkill, for my situation?

My merc 90hp (same as 115) wants 1000 MCA (marine cranking amps) or 800 CCA. I went with an Interstate 24M-XHD for my starting battery. I've had nothing but good luck with Interstate batteries which I understand are made at the same factory as the Costco ones. There's nothing wrong with overkill for a battery.

When it comes to boats what’s another $15 ?

Honestly I have had 2 of the Kirkland group 24 deep cycles for 4 years now and they take a ton of abuse prawning and are still as good as they where when I bought them.

Whatever you get just keep it topped and remember that a battery designed for starting may not last long if it’s constantly being drained by pullers / downriggers, electronics ect. While a battery designed for long slow drain may not take the high start current.

I have always used a deep cycle battery in the past, but after reading this, I now use a regular starting battery, especially with higher output alternators on the newer outboards

I just had to replace a 16 month old Kirkland deep cycle. got credited 40% of the purchase price towards a replacement after much hassle
for 15$ extra id buy trojan or interstate.

but after re reading your post, you need a cranking battery for starting engines, and a deep cycle for your prawn puller. if you have a single battery currently its time to get the blue seas add a battery kit. automatic charging relay and a new dual pole switch

I don't believe the Kirkland batteries are what they once were. We just had one fail after less than 2 years. Trojan has kept a great reputation.

You need 2 batteries and the kit as Fixit suggested.

I don't believe the Kirkland batteries are what they once were. We just had one fail after less than 2 years. Trojan has kept a great reputation.

You need 2 batteries and the kit as Fixit suggested.
How could you tell your Kirkland battery failed? I just bought one last spring and only run 1 battery, so I want to know what to be on the look out for.

Lots of good articles online for batteries. Here's one that's pretty detailed and easy to understand. One of the killers for batteries is allowing them to be drawn down below a specific voltage. You can only do this so many times and the battery will start to loose it's effectiveness. For boats that often sit for long periods of time without charge, there can be parasitic draws even though main shutoff switches are turned off. Even very minor parasitic draws will kill a battery over time. With lead acid batteries, keeping them topped up and checking the SG of each cell from time to time is a good indicator of your battery condition.
how-to-maintain-batteries

How could you tell your Kirkland battery failed? I just bought one last spring and only run 1 battery, so I want to know what to be on the look out for.
I had it tested and it failed to hold a charge. No power to start the engine. The charging system was fine.

Back