Need help with trailer brakes.........

Striper Sniper

I just changed the back axle brake side plates, bearings, etc. and when I was backing up the boat to park it last night, the one brake on the back axle kept locking up......... these are surge and I was hoping someone could share their thoughts on what I should do to fix this. Thanks in advance! SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I just finished putting on all new brakes on my trailer too and when backing up a trailer with surge brakes there is a lock out on the tongue that you switch it over too. Make sure that the trailer is in a level position or facing uphill or you won't be able to switch it over to the back up position. On my trailer it will automaticly reset it self for towing after you finish backing up. Hope that helps.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

If you replaced the shoes then you may have to adjust the spreader, or check the reverse electric valve.
good luck

JUST FISHEN'

there are different style brakes....

dual servo = stops vehicle in both directions

you need a lock out solenoid for when you back up, which cuts out brake pressure to the brakes

has dual plungers coming out the wheel cylinder

single servo = stops vehicle in forward direction only...there is a left and right side wheel cylinder...if reversed they will cause brakes to lock when going in reverse

is a free backing system so the brakes are innop when you back up....this style doesnt need a lock out solenoid

only has a plunger out of 1 end of the cylinder...

HOPEFULLY you didn't get 2 diffent style brakes....or put them on the wrong side...this would also cause that if you have the single servo style

If you do have #2 then they will remember what you last did in the forward motion IE> brake.It is the forward stopping motion that triggers the breaking. So........Come to a slow roll, don't brake but instead throw your truck in neutral until it stops. Apply the break and then place into Reverse. This should stop the locking out that you have experienced when you try to back into a parking area or just trying to launch at the ramp. Mine are the same and everyone was trying to find the lock out solenoid. Doesn't have one. Sherwood marine told me this trick. It works.

HL

Striperjack, you nailed it on the head with #2. I ordered the correct backing plate and got the one for the other side instead...:( New backling plate will be here Tues morning then on to the Comox Harbour!:) Thanks Highlights, I will try that as well once the new side plate has been installed. I can't believe how helpful this site is, THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT PROVIDED FEEDBACK. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Back