Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

A big thanks to Jason for the Killer Whale info on Friday May 9th. He is the first to receive a gift certificate for whale info this year! Keep the calls coming for your $50 gift certificate at Harbour Chandler.

If you have any whale info in the Nanaimo/Parksville area feel free to give me a call.

Thanks again, Simon @ Ocean EcoVentures in Cowichan Bay

250 883 3358

Simon thanks again and I'll be on the look out for whales just glad you guys got to find them cheers !!!!

5-7 tonight off Thrasher - bonked 4 lost a couple others. 2 on a coho killer purple onion combo and the other 2 on a jug headed hootchy and green onion combo. 127-177ft anywhere from 650- 850 feet of water

went out in my little boat this morning taking waves over the bow and fished a total of ten minutes and ended up with a 12 pounder,180, feet kitchen sink

Thats great stuff. By golly it would be nice to see that action in person. lol

I've never targeted yellow eye and was thinking about giving it a try this weekend. Anybody have some advice? Trolling or jigging? Location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never targeted yellow eye and was thinking about giving it a try this weekend. Anybody have some advice? Trolling or jigging? Location?

Check the regs first for your area you're going to.

Find a area with some good rocky bottom and cross your fingers

Fishing off thrasher today since 8 only one hit, anyone else out in the area having any luck?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Generally deeper than many species of rockfish ,Yelloweye are found mostly at 80/90 and deeper - rocky reef areas with lots of hiding places ...and crevices. I prefer slow drifting with bait but if no bait , jigs and keeping just off bottom to cut down on snagging bottom - Scuba diving enabled me to learn alot more about rockfish and Ling habitat just by observing them in person. As said by another post -watch closed areas and date closures. Also this is not a catch and release fishery unless you are good with a rockfish release device ( due to air bladder preventing them from swiming back down to bottom on their own)
If you want to keep rockfish in an open area -keep first one or your limit and I'd recommend no releasing over and over looking for a better one..... and then move on after you have your catch --unless as I say you have a release device and can release them at the bottom.

Here is a photo from last weekend fishing solo - Ling was shallower spot / Yellow eye, over 100'

Lingyelloweye.jpg.

Generally deeper than many species of rockfish ,Yelloweye are found mostly at 80/90 and deeper - rocky reef areas with lots of hiding places ...and crevices. I prefer slow drifting with bait but if no bait , jigs and keeping just off bottom to cut down on snagging bottom - Scuba diving enabled me to learn alot more about rockfish and Ling habitat just by observing them in person. As said by another post -watch closed areas and date closures. Also this is not a catch and release fishery unless you are good with a rockfish release device ( due to air bladder preventing them from swiming back down to bottom on their own)
If you want to keep rockfish in an open area -keep first one or your limit and I'd recommend no releasing over and over looking for a better one..... and then move on after you have your catch --unless as I say you have a release device and can release them at the bottom.

Here is a photo from last weekend fishing solo - Ling was shallower spot / Yellow eye, over 100'

View attachment 11764.

Gonna be fishing gabriola area for the long weekend. If the salmon fishing's good then I'd would like to target some bottom fish. Thanks for the advice.

Found 4 fish at the Grande this afternoon. 3 in the high teens and one smaller. All on hootchies up around 80-90 feet. Also one lingcod and 16 orcas. Will be out again on the weekend.

Found 4 fish at the Grande this afternoon. 3 in the high teens and one smaller. All on hootchies up around 80-90 feet. Also one lingcod and 16 orcas. Will be out again on the weekend.

Awesome report. Went out for a quick couple hours went 0 for 2 with kitchen sink spoon. 120 to 160 off the fingers

Back