Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

A Tail of Woe:
Fished yesterday from 2 to 5. Had one decent spring on the line. Unfortunately my son was struggling with the concept of idle and turn left. So I had to steer the fish with the rod and the line came on one side of the reel. With 20 feet to go the reel jammed, and I started pulling the line out of the reel by hand. One last yank snapped the line and I watched the fish and my most productive combo swim away.
Fishing.

A BIG thank you to 7Deuce for the report of Killer Whales between Snake and Gabriola this afternoon. Thanks again Mike and you will have a $50 gift certificate waiting for you. Thanks to everyone who is taking part and giving me a call with whale info it really helps the fuel bill ;)

For those who haven't heard about what i am doing here it is again:

Give me a call with good whale info anywhere from Victoria to Texada with a time, direction of travel, number of animals and speed of travel. If I find them from your report I will give you a $50 gift certificate to Harbour Chandlers or the boat or tackle shop of your choice.

Simon cell # - 250 883 3358

Ocean EcoVentures Whale Watching
Cowichan Bay

No Problem Simon. $50 at HC is a great way to end the day.

Pretty nice out there today - my 4 year old boated (with a little assistance) his first salmon ever and then released it as it was at least a couple inches short. I picked up a 20ish pound ling and lost a couple salmon out near Thrasher.

IMG_5046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty decent evening out there tonight, fished straight out from the fingers. Kept a 12 and 10 and released 5 others all about the same

Grace put the boy on the rod where he belongs and then your free to steer the boat and assist as needed.

You know there's lots of fish out there, right?

I'm just messing with you I fish 2 miles off shore starting just past the last finger and head straight towards nanoose bay for two miles then turn around and do the same thing it worked again sunday night with a 22 and an 18 on a nasty boy spoon 140 deep

Out this morning from 0600 to 0800 (had to cut it short as buddy couldn't handle the swells, heaving over the side). Started at fingers and ran NW,picked up a 14lb @ 165 ft on the rigger on a 4" kitchen sink and a good looking flasher I picked up at the pirates day sale. Also got a 10lb @ 150 ft on the rigger on a 72R hootchie and a boogy man flasher. Got another on the kitchen sink (a real scrapper) but lost it at the boat. Good first trip of the season but would have been better had it not been so bouncy. GJ

Good night out there; lots of fish at the ramp. We ended up with 4. 3 were under 10 but the other was 26 pounds, my biggest in 30 years of trying. Anyone recommend a taxidermist?
All fish 120 to 150 feet 2 miles out from fingers, most on 3 1/2 kitchen sink.

You can choose from the top of the comment text box, if you have it on your computer you find it on hard drive n upload, if it is on the internet already you can just add the URL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back in. Got my first of the year. Just off The Fingers using a Kingfisher spoon similar to the Irish Crème at 125 ft. One fellow had an 18lber but most that I saw were smaller.
20140522_193953.jpg

just a heads up.. there is some douchebag checkin peoples traps still in departure bay.., came in the other day n both my traps had been checked, I know cause they were set in 60 feet and three hours later upon return they were in 30 feet...pretty sure the tide never went out 30 feet in three hours...

Does anyone even leave a few beer in the trap anymore? Thief's are pretty cheap these days.

Does anyone even leave a few beer in the trap anymore? Thief's are pretty cheap these days.

I normally try not hijack threads with non-fishing reports...

I just got to say that for as much bad karma and trap steeling that goes on, there are some really good honest dudes on the water in Nanaimo too. I lost 2 strings of prawn traps about 6 weeks ago out by the fingers due to my own stupidity. My traps drifted undisturbed for over a month and were eventually returned. They could have been stolen a million times but integrity ruled the day!

Back