Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Fished the Fingers yesterday from 7 until about 2. Picked up a small spring around 6lbs in 600ft of water at 140ft and that was it. Didn't see a lot of nets out. First thing in the morning a guy right beside me got one. I ran into him at the cleaning table after and he had a 23, 18 and 16. We were fishing the same depth, but turns out he was fishing hoochies and anchovies. I was running the Irish Cream spoon because I have total confidence in it, and my thinking was if it isn't working nothing is. Do you guys always change lures if what you're fishing isn't working? Do you find hoochies work better than spoons off the fingers? Any thoughts on the best way to rig a hooch, single siwash or tandem octopus hooks?

Oh yeah, you gotta change the gear out after you given it a reasonable amount of fishing time. My rule of thumb is usually after an hour if nothing has touched it it's gone.

We were at the Fingers yesterday too and also started off with Irish Crème. After it looked like it wasn't going to produce I switched to a cop car and hooked a shaker. It wasn't what we were looking for, but I normally always change what I'm using if it doesn't produce.

Fished the Fingers yesterday from 7 until about 2. Picked up a small spring around 6lbs in 600ft of water at 140ft and that was it. Didn't see a lot of nets out. First thing in the morning a guy right beside me got one. I ran into him at the cleaning table after and he had a 23, 18 and 16. We were fishing the same depth, but turns out he was fishing hoochies and anchovies. I was running the Irish Cream spoon because I have total confidence in it, and my thinking was if it isn't working nothing is. Do you guys always change lures if what you're fishing isn't working? Do you find hoochies work better than spoons off the fingers? Any thoughts on the best way to rig a hooch, single siwash or tandem octopus hooks?

i sometimes tie up a hoochy with some beads then a swivel then attatch the hook to the swivel

ALWAYS run different gear on each side, unless something is hot for that period of time.
My rule is that if it hasn't had a hit in 15-30 minutes, depending on my mood, I will change it.
Also, run a different depth on each side.
You have to start with a shotgun approach, then work towards the laser precision.
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket....unless you are fishing from something in big schools e.g. sox or hos or chum

ALWAYS run different gear on each side, unless something is hot for that period of time.
My rule is that if it hasn't had a hit in 15-30 minutes, depending on my mood, I will change it.
Also, run a different depth on each side.
You have to start with a shotgun approach, then work towards the laser precision.
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket....unless you are fishing from something in big schools e.g. sox or hos or chum

Also try running different distance from the cannonball, i find this can be very effective

Makes sense, thanks guys. I'm heading back out this afternoon when the wind comes down with hoochies and will try some different things. The guy at Harbour Chandler showed me how to rig the hoochies with beads, a barrel swivel and a single hook, so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah....changing the distance from ball to flasher is a good move ....but you got to watch that.

If the downrigger lines on your boat are ,say for example, 12 feet apart......then when you run the flasher 12 feet back and make a real hard turn the flasher now will start slapping the d/line across from it.

....plus.....it gets worse if you run both flashers at exactly the same depth and do that.......

I like to run one flasher 10ft higher than the other one.

In my experience ...the more you are bucking chop and waves........the more likely you are to get a flasher tangle........

Yeah....changing the distance from ball to flasher is a good move ....but you got to watch that.

If the downrigger lines on your boat are ,say for example, 12 feet apart......then when you run the flasher 12 feet back and make a real hard turn the flasher now will start slapping the d/line across from it.

....plus.....it gets worse if you run both flashers at exactly the same depth and do that.......

I like to run one flasher 10ft higher than the other one.

In my experience ...the more you are bucking chop and waves........the more likely you are to get a flasher tangle........

good post ^^^ also i try and turn to the side that is deeper.

Going fishing after work, anyone want to come? Leaving the dock at 5:15> 5:30, heading out to the fingers for a couple hours

What was the flavour of the day island ? Spoons hootch, bait ? I'm heading over for a couple days off Fingers hopefully soon .

Good luck all

Ended up going out with my wife for a couple hours, we caught a 14 and 12lber and lost a couple others. The Kripple K had all the action tonight
nanaimokripplek004_zpsb29aa284.jpg

KrippleK_zps1cf1a3f8.jpg

Back