Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Got the boat in the water Friday night and a little on Sat..
6 on Friday thru the Flood
3 Sat on the Ebb.
My buddies were commenting on the fact we didn't see a seal. Its great..

Some one forgot his net ! Nice shot with the gaff though. I see the little Man likes high quality reels ! Way to go Kiddo !

HT

Some one forgot his net ! Nice shot with the gaff though. I see the little Man likes high quality reels ! Way to go Kiddo !

HT

West Coast fisherman on the other side :cool:. Gaff's are SOP :). I love these guy's taking their kid's out and enjoying this fishery. Keep it up buddy!!!

Apprently the A.O.D. is not doing charters out of Tofino anymore and is moored in Nanaimo and buddies are taking their families out fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
He left us a clue....that spoon in the pic is fluo yellow on the tip....I'm guessing:-

(1) Yellowtail

(2) " No Bananas"

?

Not sure if you guys have this or not but theres an app I use all the time to check the wind conditions out there in real time. Its called WindAlert. The 2 weather stations I look at is the Entrance Island one and the Nanaimo Beacon. Also shows wind direction and wind speed history, I wouldn't be without it.

Flattops producing nicely. A green 4 inch Coyote at 2.6mph 145 down in 650 feet water. Four chinook (two keepers) in 90 minutes this morning. Limit of ling off Thrasher, too.

Had a pretty good day out there today. Some salmon in the morning. Caught some nice lingcod today to.
6aguba3y.jpg
3ytevygy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flattops producing nicely. A green 4 inch Coyote at 2.6mph 145 down in 650 feet water. Four chinook (two keepers) in 90 minutes this morning. Limit of ling off Thrasher, too.

Where exactly is the flattops? I've heard of it but haven't ever been out there. If you could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

Ok thank. Has the fishing been good up there and around thrasher have you heard?? I've just been out at the fingers and it seem like the salmon fishin is slowing down out there.

Seems the salmon were offshore a bit yesterday morning. Only one release in an hour at the 550-650 contour. Two doubles and a quick limit of two 15 pounders as soon as I drifted outside the ferry channel into 800 plus feet in front of the Flat Tops. Oh, lineup was a chartreuse squid in addition to the 4" Irish Creme Coyote, which I haven't taken out of the line up all season. I fish alone, so often choose to avoid the chaos of two lines. I had the thought that doubling up on the gear was attracting or triggering more fish. Lead depth a steady 130-145.

Sounds like today had quite a bit of fun for you fellas...average size?

Heading up tomorrow to hit it Friday and sat - what's the latest folks? Fingers still good in tight or more offshore? Or should a guy head down to the grande area?

I fished closer to shore.. All the fish were above 130ft... I usually go much deeper... Spoons
In green and white and smaller plugs...
Kids got there first fish of the year, but for us nothing was over about 15lbs. All about 10-15lbs. Some reds, mostly marbled.
Could be totally different a week later tho...

Lets us know what happens Friday... Going to dump back in and fish both tides Saturday... Good luck!!

thx Peterman - I found the closer in tack to be more productive last Saturday also spoons but was having better luck deeper @ 160, fish were in the high teens. gonna try and few different spots and will report back.

thx Peterman - I found the closer in tack to be more productive last Saturday also spoons but was having better luck deeper @ 160, fish were in the high teens. gonna try and few different spots and will report back.

Where you fishing in close at the fingers? What kind of range of water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back