Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Was out today landed a nice 15 and lost one to the rigger great day pulled up an extra 3 prawn traps and rope off the fingers no bouy look like been down a long time
if you think its yours PM me

edy7yqyv.jpg
pick up this 21 lber about 7:30 this morning and another 10 lber later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a 17 and an 11 pounder Saturday morning-160 feet on the rigger-500 feet of water just north of the Fingers.

Released 3 others just undersized.

All on black and white hootchies.

Seemed to be a solid bite going on all around me!

Tight lines!

Come up to Nanaimo one day I55 sure there is a lot of forum members on here that would take you fishing. I was in your shoes last year when my outboard blew up, Also the open seat thread on this forum is great. Is insurance going to buy you a new motor??

2014-05-25 11.28.30.jpg

Took the neighbor and his and my son fishing yesterday; started around 6:30; pin popper off the bat, good run and gone; another 5 min later, another off the clip, good size; got it too the boat and lost it half in the net; after that we had another 8 pin poppers with a short run and gone. So we changed up the gear and put on stinger hooks; moved into neck point and picked up a 20 and a 22 within 5 min of each other and pulled the plug!

Great report TC, thanks for sharing. The third week of may for the last two years, and this seems to be the third where there has been some phenomenal fishing!

Was over at Silva Bay for Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Saturday was slow with limited action off Thrasher. Sunday hit one early off Thrasher and then it went dead. Ran up north up to Nanaimo around 8 AM. Started out deep and started hitting fish at 135 to 165. Got into 6 Springs and 2 Coho before it slowed down. Worked our way in closer to shore and got into a real good bite, played 12 more Springs, working the same depths. Made for real fun day for my Son and I!

Attachments

• Fingers May 25, 2014.jpg
    Fingers May 25, 2014.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 944
Was over at Silva Bay for Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Saturday was slow with limited action off Thrasher. Sunday hit one early off Thrasher and then it went dead. Ran up north up to Nanaimo around 8 AM. Started out deep and started hitting fish at 135 to 165. Got into 6 Springs and 2 Coho before it slowed down. Worked our way in closer to shore and got into a real good bite, played 12 more Springs, working the same depths. Made for real fun day for my Son and I!

He looks hooked! Sounds like a great day.

Nice reports fellas. Coho should open soon eh. Gonna be some active fishing over there. Is there a good spot to Moore up for the night or anchor that's a closer run than silva bay?

View attachment 11914

Took the neighbor and his and my son fishing yesterday; started around 6:30; pin popper off the bat, good run and gone; another 5 min later, another off the clip, good size; got it too the boat and lost it half in the net; after that we had another 8 pin poppers with a short run and gone. So we changed up the gear and put on stinger hooks; moved into neck point and picked up a 20 and a 22 within 5 min of each other and pulled the plug!

Nice report, I'll have to get out there soon Too.

was out from 3 -730 with a friend from the interior, two pin poppers, first one spit the hook on my buddy but the second he landed ,ended up with a 14 lb RED spring and 2 nice crabs, here is environment Canada strong wind warning in effect004 (2).jpg007.jpg

Nice reports fellas. Coho should open soon eh. Gonna be some active fishing over there. Is there a good spot to Moore up for the night or anchor that's a closer run than silva bay?

Dave, We just ran up from Silva Bay, but it we good to know of another spot to moore closer by Nanaimo, if anyone has suggestions?

Glad to hear others are having great days. Friday I went out and had an awesome day by myself. Landed 7 out of 17, and had two double headers. I kept the first 12.5 lber and let all the rest go, just cause I didn't want to end my day. Nothing big, up to 15 was the biggest. Finally got blown off around 1:30. I was letting the wind blow me toward Neck Point and had my last double header, but when I got the fish to the top, the waves were not too kind with my flashers and the fish and I lost both fish. I am fairly new to the Island, but I never thought I would find fishing like this here.

Glad to hear others are having great days. Friday I went out and had an awesome day by myself. Landed 7 out of 17, and had two double headers. I kept the first 12.5 lber and let all the rest go, just cause I didn't want to end my day. Nothing big, up to 15 was the biggest. Finally got blown off around 1:30. I was letting the wind blow me toward Neck Point and had my last double header, but when I got the fish to the top, the waves were not too kind with my flashers and the fish and I lost both fish. I am fairly new to the Island, but I never thought I would find fishing like this here.

Well, being not that new to the island....I can tell you that is good fishing! Pretty good sample set; did you take note of the clipped to non clipped fish ratio?

Back