Nanaimo Area

TwoGone:- thanks for posting that !.....(if I nailed a 32 lb'er I'd have that pic up for sure as well!)

I'll pick a couple of those up......think they would be good choice for low light conditions or earlier in the morning or later on in the afternoon.

That looks Like a Zurtro Cop Car......:)))....built-in UV

You were fishing in the a.m. right?

Again congrats!

Seafever, Looks like a gold star cookies n cream spoon
Killer spoon in my opinion

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Fish Twogone, thanks for posting the gear pics too.
I wanted to head over there tomorrow, but it looks like the wind is going to pickup to 15 - 20 km/h tomorrow AM and be high all day.

I am new to the area and the board, I guess with those kind of winds the crossing from Pt Atkinson to Nanaimo will be pretty rough, but are there any areas a little sheltered on the Nanaimo side where they're catching?
Are there many others who plan on making the crossing on Sunday?
Thanks for any info

Had some good action again this morning... Saturday.. Bite came on between 8-9am closer to the fingers... Usual gear and depths. 3 Nice springs, either whites or marbles...
Gearing up for Ukee now... looking for those Hali's..

Yes, it was the AM and quite overcast (low light). We got the shaker around 8:00 AM and the Tyee at about 10:30. I believe the tide chaned around 11:00 AM.
I think Van City Tyee is right, I recognize the package, it'a a cookies & Cream. It came highly reccommended by the helpfull fellow at HC. I cut the stock hook off and put on a bigger one, probably a good thing too with a fattie chomping on it. I'm really not on their payroll but I can't say enough about those folks @ Harbour Chandler. They have been so very helpfull from day #1 when I started rewiring my boat, adding a GPS & a Sounder etc. plus all the great fishing tips.
Cheers; twogone

VanCityTyee:-

You may indeed be right......but the hook that TwoGone has on his is not the stock hook that comes with a SilverHorde if I remember right.

Looks like TwoGone changed his hook out then?

VanCityTyee:-

You may indeed be right......but the hook that TwoGone has on his is not the stock hook that comes with a SilverHorde if I remember right.

Looks like TwoGone changed his hook out then?

Indeed I did! I didn't like the look of the wimpy hook it came with. twogone

Sorry for the redundant post...I was going to delete mine after I saw yours which you must have posted split seconds before I did...

Cheers............:cool:

Jeffy:- Great fish!........(I was going to say Nice Fish but didn't want to Cooperize the post).......you must be getting hungry, you've been out there for hours now......:p)

It's a spoon.....of which there have been several pictures posted around here lately.....

Coyote or Silver Horde......both basically the same:-

Glow spoon.....has outer fluorescent green edge then inner fluo yellow. has a fluorescent red blob down by tail end.

Don't know why the makers call it a Yellow tail......the tail end isn't any yellower than the rest of it....the tail end is where the fluo red blob is.

In Gibbs it's called a 'No Bananas G Force'.

This is a Yellowtail:- they don't come with the eye...and they normally don't come with a swivel up front or rear.....but this the color pattern

001.jpg

[also posted in Vancouver Thread]

So we finally brought it all together today on my boat! It started with a sunset crossing last night at 7pm. Flat calm with very little debris. It was flawless. 1 hour from River Rock to Thrasher Rock. Stayed the night at a friends place on one of the islands about 15 minutes from Thrasher. Was up early and had lines down off Grande in 900' of water @ 5:45am. It didn't take long for the fleet to arrive and it seemed everyone and their brotha was over at Thrasher. We heard of some good action that way from 6-9am but decided to stay and pay around Grande. We got a line on some action from GypsyKing who was in tighter to shore. Soon after, we hit a double header of shakers in the deep water, but following my gut (and the good tip) we decided leave the gear up and head in shallower. We gave a good effort for a couple of hours with not much to speak of...decided to push along the shore towards the northern mouth of Silva, and if nothing hit, we would continue to deeper water towards the fleet. Moments later, the sonar started chirping like crazy, and we stumbled on to the mother of all bait balls....

at that moment, the craziest 3 hours of salmon fishing began. :)

pass after pass we were into fish. Big fish. We counted 4 double headers with 4 more single hook-ups to add. The smallest was about 8 pounds. The biggest was a gem. Trendsetter, after his years of aggressive angling, managed to break his personal best of 19 lbs with this fat pig...

Pound it! 26.5 pounds!

On the next pass, it was my turn. My biggest fish of the year! I wont say much because I have a video that will say it all. It was a riot of a catch!! It was so far, my best day of the year. We continued our pursuit of happiness and finally found the fish. And they were stacked up thick and heavy for us! The last month has seen some long days with little results and in one 3 hour period it all melted away. I probably shouldn't be reviewing gas receipts any time soon though LOL.

We came back over @ around 4, the trophy catch and 3 smaller fish perfect for the Q. What a day.

Oh, Chovy n spoons was our ticket today. The fish had 4" needlefish in their guts, which is what I would guess the baitball was largely made up of. There were fresh kills in the chins bellys.

Cheers

Great report FB! Nice to see you getting the Bad Habits dialed in:cool:. Congrats to both of you on some nice fish.

Nice fish FB, well done! One of my fishing partners, mainly a fly fisherman, always talks about the 3P's......Presentation, patients & perseverence. You seem to have 'em and got the fish. Excellent. I'm not sure if I would want to be out there this morning, I don't know what it's doing on the chuck but it's blowing like crazy in Cassidy Cheers; Twogone

Fished off Fingers from 6-noon. Around 9 am nailed 24, 18,17 and 12 lbs. and lots of shakers. Nailed them on spackle back hootcies and irish cream spoon at 150'. Good day.

Back