Nanaimo Area

VanCityTyee:-

You may indeed be right......but the hook that TwoGone has on his is not the stock hook that comes with a SilverHorde if I remember right.

Looks like TwoGone changed his hook out then?

Its a good idea on the hook swapping for gold star spoons i have lost two fish on them. Still great spoons though.

Just taking another look at that spoon used by TwoGone....it has a swivel up front....but SilverHordes do not come with swivels on them.....which is why I thought it was a Zurtro at first.......unless he put a swivel on himself....?

Indeed I did, I cut the welded rings off both ends and replaced them with split rings then I added a new hook on the butt end and a swivel on the top end. Mr. fishy didn't seem to mind my modifications at all. I think the swivel up fromt allows the spoon to 'flap' about a bit more than being tied directly to the welded ring. I can't wait to get back out there and drag it around some more. Cheers; twogone

OMG...OMG...OMG! Last night my wife cooked a slab of the white spring (belly flaps removed to even out the thickness). She did it on a cookie sheet, skin down on some tinfoil. She painted a fairly heavy coat of Mayo over the exposed flesh and topped it off with thinly sliced onion and lemon. My barbie is out of commission at the moment so she did it in a 400 degree oven; it took a while because of the thickness (bragging again I know) but when it was finally done it was excellent! I've eaten red spring all my life (grew up near Cow Bay) and this, in my opinion was the best ever. Beautifuly moist and an exqusit mild flavor. WOW! I'm now very perplexed; many folks seem to prefer catching the reds. Cheers; Twogone

Twogone i was talking about this the other day with some friends..them white springs are Dam tasty, I have found the clubhouse brand cajun marinade to be top notch, i bbq'd steaks and repeatedly basted them in the cajun... Top notch! I trolled around for about 8 hours the other day , a friend of mine was called into work on short notice leaving me to troll by myself..I had three buddies in another boat trolling out there aswell, i had two missed hook-ups but then finally after about 6hours i hooked into that 33 inch spring not huge but what fight that sucker had, it ran at the boat at least 3 times and was quite a challenge landing it by myself without having it spit the hook, i have caught many salmon over the years but the satisfaction of landing a fish in my own boat by myself was unbeatable, My three friends in the other boat only managed to land an 8 lber, so doing a slow troll past them well holding up 33 inch chinook and extending the proverbial middle finger salute brought me unmeasurable JOY!:cool:

My three friends in the other boat only managed to land an 8 lber, so doing a slow troll past them well holding up 33 inch chinook and extending the proverbial middle finger salute brought me unmeasurable JOY!:cool:

Awsome! what a thrill! There was no one close enough to do that with mine but a fellow at the dock just about crapped when he saw the head sticking out of one end of the fish box and the tail of the same fish at the other end. I will try the cajun on the next oppertunity. Right now I'm stuck helping my wife get the veggie garden all set up so she'll let me go trout fishing next week. I would love to be out there in the chuck while these beauties are around but........one simply must keep the minister of Finance happy or the funds for fishing gear seems to dry up. Cheers; Twogone

Awsome advice from all you fellows. I finally put a keeper in the boat this morning.
10:30 AM, just beforee tide change, 140 feet in 600 feet of water North west of the fingers, cop car with pink glo flasher.
Simply awsome, long powerful runs, lots of head shaking; ran at me 2 or 3 times and I thought it was gone. 32 lb white.
Thanks again for all your help. Cheers; twogone

View attachment 7390

Congratulations on such an excellent Nanaimo fish. I am still waiting for my first Georgia Straight Tyee after fishing Nanaimo for a number of years going back as far as 1990. My largest to date is 27 lbs. I've caught many WCVI tyee however the Georgia Straight tyee has been very elusive for my boat(s). I may have to invite you along to give me some fishing lessons.
cheers
h.e.h.

Silva Bay Derby, June 15-16
We now have over $13,000 in prizes for this years Father's Day weekend derby at Silva Bay. Top prize of a Lowrance sounder goes by draw from everyone entered. Over 80 prizes in total. $1000 for largest chinook. Prizes awarded for chinook, coho, bottomfish and hidden weight.

Tickets are $25 per angler or $50 for a family fishing from same boat. Available at Harbour Chandler, Gone Fishin', PNT and Silva Bay Marina. Don't wait until the last minute to get your ticket or you may be disappointed based on the interest shown to date. As usual, proceeds go to the Nanaimo Fish Hatchery.

Derby Rules

Full rules available from your ticket seller or at
Silva Bay Resort and Marina.

#1 rule is to have fun!
1: All fish must be caught within the boundaries.
Icarus, Neck Point, The Fingers, Entrance Island, Thrasher and Porlier and up to three miles
offshore Gabriola/Nanaimo are inbounds. Inside waters from Northumberland to Porlier are inbounds, except for D.F.O. closed areas.
2: Derby Time - Saturday June 15th - Dawn til 9pm.
Sunday June 16th - Dawn til Noon
3: Weigh-in at Silva Bay Marina. All fish must be weighed in by noon on June 16th, 2013
4: No eviscarated (gutted salmon) will be eligible.
5: Ties decided in order of first weighed.
6: All salmon must be cleaned immediately after
the weigh-in.
7: Prize ceremony to begin at approximately
1pm on Sunday, June 16, 2013.
8: $1,000 largest Chinook, and a minimum of 80 other prizes. Lowrance sounder by draw of all entrants.
9: Derby tickets must be purchased prior to fishing
and carried on your person.
10: Failure to comply with Derby Rules and
Regulations will result in immediate
disqualifaction of all entrants in the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on such an excellent Nanaimo fish. I am still waiting for my first Georgia Straight Tyee after fishing Nanaimo for a number of years going back as far as 1990. My largest to date is 27 lbs. I've caught many WCVI tyee however the Georgia Straight tyee has been very elusive for my boat(s). I may have to invite you along to give me some fishing lessons.
cheers h.e.h.
Hi H.E.H.
I fished in Cow Bay from 1950 to 1963 and never caught a Tyee. Both my brothers and my father did but not I. Not counting a 40 lb spring I caught on a fly in the Big Qualicum river (about 1975 when it was legal) this is my first Georgia Tyee. Until last October I haven't owned a boat since 1964 so other than a few day out with friends (WCVI) and a couple of charters at Haida Guay I didn't ocean fish from 1964 to last month. Techniques and tackle have changed so much in 50 years. In the 50's we used huge wooden Peetz reels filled with steel wire and attached to a one piece bamboo pole with pipe clamps. Often the eyes were attached to the pole with electricians tape (the old stickey stuff). We didn't get much of a fight from a fish with up to 2 - 16 oz weights on the line and a 6"-7" Lucky Louie or Wallace Highliner plug. My dad was a dairy farmer and we were as poor as church mice so the object was to put fish in the boat so mum could can 'em for the winter. As a youngster, if I hooked a big one, dad or a brother would pull in in because they were afraid I would loose it. They let me pull it my own Coho but not a big spring. The whole game has changed significantly and I'm on a huge learning curve. The nicest change is the way todays fishermen share information. If someone had a good day in Cow Bay back in the 50's, unless he was a friend, it was unlikley you would ever find out his secret to success. I'm currently fishing with a combination of great advice from some awsome folks and a huge dollup of S.H.L. so I doubt I could offer any valuable fishing lessons but I'd bring along any good luck I have left. PS I have just hooked up a VHF radio in my boat, what channel(s) do most sporties use for chit chat etc? Cheers; Twogone

Hello Twogone
Great story. I myself was off the water for a number of years due to a medical condition. I purchased the boat I have now in the fall of 2010. I agree with you that the sharing of info these days is a real benefit for all anglers regardless of the amount of experience one has. There is always something to learn. As for VHF I believe you will find most anglers use 88A. What do you use as a call sign? I use Hit em Hard however although I can receive I am not sure if I am transmitting. I will check it out this weekend. I will be on the water Fri. Sat. and Sun. if all goes according to plan. I will try and radio you if I can transmit.
h.e.h.

Late Update... Was out mid morning on Sunday fished everywhere until i found some big schools off snake island. Managed some hatch coho and a nice 12 pound spring. Then thought i snagged bottom before realizing it was something very big. Reeled in the beast for a good 20 min with one hug sounding dive then realized i had a halibut on and played it right to the side of the boat and had no means to get the beast into the boat safely, easily 40 -50 pounds, no gaff hook and the net much too small had to see her release down to the depths.:( was nice to see a hali on the inside though. definitely packing the gaff just in case i ever get the opportunity again.

Anyone get out tonight?

Going to be out fishing this area starting tomorrow. Will be in the Lucky Tiger and sit on CH 06 or 08
Will be in the Silva Bay marina.

Great evening out there off Neck Point. Bumped into a buddy that was coming in with limits for 4. Got the intel and ran with it lol. Worked out good. The fish cleaning station was going full tilt as well. All good signs.

The water was beautiful out there.

Looking North towards the Winchelsea's.

Mount Baker in full bloom.

Smiles all around.

Some fish in the boat.

Great evening out with friends with some good fishing. What's not to like :).

Till tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back