Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Downwind you out fishing Monday? i might have seen you down at brechin looks like the DE i saw down there, might have been talking to you before heading out. i carry airbombs on board if you see a seal following you shoot one over his head and it scares them off your tail. better luck next time

Wasn't me but I'm sure I'll see you out there at some point. I'm over at Stones. Airbombs are a good idea though. Never even saw the bugger following. Always more fish though. Hopefully going to be getting out tomorrow night and see what I can find.

LOST AT THRASHER ROCK

While fishing in fairly rough conditions at Thrasher Rock on Friday and while endeavouring to net a 12lb-ish Chinook, my rod slipped out of my hand into the sea which I was not able to recover.:mad:

The rod is carbon-kevlar 12’ in length and obviously custom-built by Custom Rodbuilders Inc of Victoria. It is equipped with a black Islander M3 reel, left-hand wind with paddle handles and loaded with Spiderwire braided line.

On the off-chance that it may turn-up, washed up somewhere or entangled with someone's downrigger, I would be very grateful for its return.

That suks. Need a rod & reel lmk, got a few extras. Or, just tell the wife what happened. No fish not happy I'll bet. Gl

That suks. Need a rod & reel lmk, got a few extras. Or, just tell the wife what happened. No fish not happy I'll bet. Gl

Thanks for the offer. The rod lost was one of a set of three formerly carp fishing rods, I brought over from the UK when I immigrated to Canada. I had had two re-built with new guides etc in the downrigger style. I have found them excellent for downrigging. Today I sent the third to Custom Rodbuilders Inc for rebuilding.

Fished for a couple of hours last night, had a nice fish on about mile off neck point, 500 feet of water, glow green coyote 4 inch at 115 feet. Spat the hook on the surface 20 feet from boat. Good action though.

I was out earlier today and didn't have any love from the fish. Heading out again in the morning and see if my luck changes. Rocking around in the pouring rain isn't all that fun when there isn't anything biting.

Haven't been out i a while but it looks like I am heading out tonight for a few hours. has anyone been having any luck around neck point and the fingers lately?

Lots of boats out there for a beauty night. We only landed 1 very average fish but it was still a nice night. We got it very lose in to neck point. didn't look like there was much action but I didn't get out there until late

Yeah, its funny around Nanaimo, tons of guys fishing,,,, tons of guys reading the reports on the site... but the their reports are slow... Its great if guys will share, good or bad at least we know whats happening out there...
We probably aren't going to catch the same fish...lol..
Looks like a great weather week coming up... lets hope the fishing is decent

Well Peterman, my report is that it's been bloody awful lately. Doughnut for us on Tues as it was for the other 3 boats we talked to. This is the worst year I've had. We're going to try again tonight and hope for better. I don't really like reporting bad news, but will try and give you guys some info regardless of how we do.

OK, one off entrance tonight, about 15 lbs, plus some fish and chips, so I'm not selling my boat. Caught on anchovie and it was stuffed full of them

New to posting but went out this mornin caught three springs ranging from 4 to 14 pounds between Clark rock and
Neck point just off bottom 10 to 25 feet on cop car 36 inch leader and a dill pickle hooch also 36 inch leader

How's the weed situation off Nanaimo?.......(no....I meant floating stray seaweed....LOL)

It was awful off French Creek on Monday.........heard there was some off Kitty Coleman too...

Wondering if it's cleared up yet.....?.......

Heading over tomorrow morning from Mainland to stay with friends on Protection. What's the best bet at the moment Fingers or down towards Thrasher?

Was out two nights ago around the Fingers and Neck Point and nothing was going on. Talked to a few other guys and they didn't fair any better. Probably head out Saturday and may try Thrasher. Anyone else have any luck?

Fished all day Wednesday around Grande, thrasher area. 1 hit and 1 trout sized salmon. Awesome day but no fish for us. Tried spoons and hoochies in close and out in deep water will try again on Saturday

Back