Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

has to be under 42 i would think since it's nanaimo. I was out last night and lost a screamer off neck point. itching to get back out. 117 ft on a green splatterback needlefish

Ok...we got a little over excited...been a small fish year :)...0nly 29 looked like an honest mid-thirties when it came over the rail. We just got the one and a buddies boat got a 29.5 right next to us. 90' on my favorite hootchie...do a search, you'll find it:). Will post a picture an a bit more info tomorrow.
To help ease the embarrassment of the over estimate...there were two guys with me that have seen way more big fish than me who both expected 5 to 10 lbs more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear there are some big fish out there !!! out Saterday at neck scratch for me lots of undersized... Salvaged day out off enterance picked up a Cuple nice lings

Green spackleback behind green glow flasher at 90' in 120'.

71D1999B-459F-4C65-8252-D99891031F20-280-000000B9D42F021C.jpg

thanks guys.
A question to debate...our fish and the one caught by the other boat were both dark and very ready to spawn...where are they headed? I was under the impression fish didn't look like that until they got a taste of their home river.

Who knows...maybe the Millstream has been introducing chinook.Or missed timed Nanaimo river fish.Send the heads in if clipped and let us know.

Hello - new guy here

I would like to take my Father in law out for a day in our boat chasing Salmon around Nanaimo and we'd like to set a couple of crab traps. How fast are you gentlemen trolling? I have had luck from 1.3-3.0mph but not in the Nanaimo area. Is anything you think I should be aware of that's not in the regulations?

Don't like being a mooch for information, but I would like to show the FIL a good and safe day in the boat. He sold his years ago before he retired, and hasn't been out much. I am not familiar with the waters around Nanaimo, so I thought it best to ask!

Thank you for your help!

I wouldn't consider leaving your traps out now that the area has been picked over for some time since comm opening, F/N and rec fishers , good luck finding a legal one right now. I'd be baby sitting it too or loose it possibly.
Fish Neck Pt, to Fingers area, Entrance, Snake, speed should be 2 to 3 for the Springs even faster some times, look through these threads lots of good info on bait and lures. I'd be working bait if ya kind find the birds and sign of them ....

Good luck

HT

We crabbed the river mouth tonight...4 traps, 2 sets probably 100 crabs...only 9 keepers.
Oh...and like high tide said, don't leave your traps unattended.

Thank you High Tide and Degree of Freedom for your helpful advice. I appreciate your help and warning about the trap theft situation, sad to hear it's come to that! The cost of a boat, and running gear, you'd think folks would be above that kind of act considering most traps are under $500 with rope and buoys. Match that with most boats carrying Seal bombs, and wow - could make for quite a light show if someone were caught in the act.

I have read the information in this "thread" several times, and found it very helpful. Thank you for sharing your advice and help in providing a good day on the water to my Father in law. If we don't catch anything, our traps get stolen and the motor dies, well... at least we'll be on the water and not at work!

Will be sure to post up pictures and our results here, and pass along anything we discover along the way. Thank you :D

Out off Rocky point yesterday....

A 16lb'er at 2p.m. in afternoon......low slack was 3:30 p.m.

Caught on Luhr-Jensen 3.5" "U/V Bright " spoon (green stripe on edge, rest chrome,with black U/V halo dots) and a green metallic cracked -ice flasher.

70ft in 120ft water.

Released a lot of undersize Coho.

Color was starting to turn on the 16lb'er.

Only thing in it's belly was a 2 1/2" minnow.

I just bonked a 19 off shack island about an hr ago. 115 ft down in 150 ft of water on a green splatterback needlefish with a green glow flasher

Back