Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Wasn't good for us either, we fished hard saturday and sunday for the Silva Bay Derby,, had nothing to show for the two FULL days. I talked to a coupld boats at the weigh in that had the same luck as us. Most fish coming in were in the 8-12 Lbs. range, winner was 22.

Fished Thrasher for an hour and 1/2 sunday morning 2 undersize in 900 ft water 140 ft splatterback hooch

Fish Saturday were found at whalebone, Grande and Carlos and some in deeper water. 110' to 160' at Whalebone and Carlos and Grande, 120' to 170' of water. Sunday fishing was hot for about an hour or so at Thrasher some fish on the shelf 50' down in 70' of water and some further along 140' of water 120' down. Sizes at Thrasher were 8 to 20 lb's, Sat. some bigger fish were lost, but sizes seemed smaller.

We put in a good solid 8 hours of fishing around thrasher and grande yesterday but no hits. We got there a little late, maybe 10am and seems we just missed the earlier bite.

We got a couple on Sunday morn down deep bouncing gear on the bottom near the Grande, we let one little guy go that was just barely legal, and got this one. The boys got 2nd in the derby and were winning right until 1155, when some guy came in and weighed in a spring 0.16 lbs heavier than this one. They were ok with it, and were stoked to win 2nd. Congrats to all the organizers and people out fishing, great event and a good fundraiser for the hatchery

Attachments

• fathersday2.jpg
    fathersday2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 132
We got a couple on Sunday morn down deep bouncing gear on the bottom near the Grande, we let one little guy go that was just barely legal, and got this one. The boys got 2nd in the derby and were winning right until 1155, when some guy came in and weighed in a spring 0.16 lbs heavier than this one. They were ok with it, and were stoked to win 2nd. Congrats to all the organizers and people out fishing, great event and a good fundraiser for the hatchery

Great to see some young guys enjoying the sport and nice fish aswell! I was bummed I missed it this year although the weather and slow fishing eased the pain. I had to write an exam and buddies had charters on the westside. There's always next year.

Fished from1.30 to 7 pm caught a 15 pd red threw back one and 3 missed pop offs. Five fingers 150 deep was the most productive depth on the riggers

Tough am better on the turn...
Tyee btw

Attachments

• 2012-06-19 11.58.20.jpg
    2012-06-19 11.58.20.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 173
Think he posted the wrong picture... check http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org/forum/nanaimo-fishing-2011-t1074-410.html

We had a good day all in all. Boated two, 20 and 11 lost two hogs which would of been in the 30's I think no seals spotted and seemed like a large fish lure spit more than a pulled mouth from a seal... no big drag just fight fight fight then nothing.... :( Also had two quick strikes popping the DR but no fish. Likely heading out tomorrow for the tide change and the calm waters and winds.

Was out tonight and hooked up a nice spring off the fingers. Got into a tug-o-war over it with a seal and lost. Worst part is he stole my spoon along with my fish :/ Hope he chokes on the hook!

Oh and I'm the new guy around here, pretty new to fishing the chuck as well and just hoping to learn a few things from the folks around here.

Cheers!

Was out tonight and hooked up a nice spring off the fingers. Got into a tug-o-war over it with a seal and lost. Worst part is he stole my spoon along with my fish :/ Hope he chokes on the hook!

Oh and I'm the new guy around here, pretty new to fishing the chuck as well and just hoping to learn a few things from the folks around here.

Cheers!

Thanks for the report Downwind. Welcome to the site:).

Downwind you out fishing Monday? i might have seen you down at brechin looks like the DE i saw down there, might have been talking to you before heading out. i carry airbombs on board if you see a seal following you shoot one over his head and it scares them off your tail. better luck next time

Back