Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Heading up to Nanaimo (Newcastle) for the long weekend. Did well last year at the same time sticking around Snake Island. Any words of wisdom from the local boys..

Bring seal medicine!
Dave

Hi all
Any advice/tips for someone wanting to go out for some fishing around fingers. Just trying to make seaworthy my old 16' K&C and plan to go out and give'er a try. I haven't fished in about 15 years and am looking forward just to be out on the water. 15 Years ago, we used to go off fingers about a mile or so and head towards Winchelsea and troll green hotchies and flashers about 130' at about 2.5 knots. Occasional seals but nothing like I've been reading here. I'm not very experienced in saltwater fishing and would appreciate any advice you guys might offer.

Thanks

That will work Islandjet. You can also try fishing close to shore around neck point/rocky point using small spoons behind a flasher. I had some good days a few weeks back in tight but the seals became a problem. I was fishing in around 100ft of water and had gear down 65 and 80ft. The bait is really small so small spoons is key. Just watch out for seals following you your boat. Good luck

Dropped the crab trap and headed over to Lock Bay on Gabriola today. Fished for a few hours, we had one spring on the surface before it spat the hook, also one small Ling. The spring was promising though, army truck hootchie, about 10 ' off bottom in 130 '. Picked up the trap and had a small feast, nice day despite the breezy conditions.

Heading up to Newcasle on Friday with a good sized group. Will be fishing around snake island in a 171/2 foot campion all weekend. Give us the finger if you roll by...

Any reports from Nanoose, French Creek or Sangster. Boat is back in and there's not alot of fish on the board lately. Kelly are you around? BRS

Just moved back. Fished for a bit around the low tide at gerald with 10 other boats. Not a fish to be seen. Its dead and apparently has been all week. Heard of a few at sangster and FC. Wheres the WH report? Off to Bamfield tomorrow.

Went out for a while this morning and tried a last fish at Winchelsea before that areas closed for the year, no luck for me. Final count was 1 minnow, one undersized spring and a dogfish. I stick my head out again in the morning and try Ballenas

Hey Gronk I tried Winchelsea the other day and squat for me as well. Ballenas had lots of bait but no fish and tons of weed. Ended up going to Sangster yesterday with my sweetheart and she did a great job on a scrappy 15lb spring. Her first of the year and I thought it was gonna be twice the size. Kelly give me a ring when you get back, I'm "between jobs" now and I'm trying to milk it while the weather is nice and the fish are biting. BRS

coming in from a pleasure cruise Sat night there were a bunch of people cleaning fish at Brechin...didn't stop to chat as my kids were going mental. must be a few around.

Got back last night from a weekend on Newcastle Island.. Fished on the outside of Snake Island. Between 4 guys we picked up a 15 and 13 pound spring, a 25 and 23 pound ling and some smaller ones. Got the kids out fishing with us aswell one day, first time for one of them.. All in all a great time.. Heading for Nootka on Thursday morning.

Back