My winter boat transformation- alumn finally!

Covered Nanaimo from cloverdale paints to Home depot looking for self etching aluminum primer--finally twigged in and found it at Lordco- Would have thought HC would carry it??

Covered Nanaimo from cloverdale paints to Home depot looking for self etching aluminum primer--finally twigged in and found it at Lordco- Would have thought HC would carry it??

Interlux meta-prime? I believe is what you are looking for. HC had it in stock when I was looking. I skipped that step and just went with a good Devoe epoxy primer after sanding the whole deck with an auto body style air sander. The etching primer is the way to go. Thanks for the Lordco heads up.

The PPG paint rep has told us not to use etch under our epoxy,go straight epoxy over the bare aluminum.Make sure to run a red scotch brite pad over the aluminum just before you paint it because a few hours after it's been sanded it is allready oxidizeing

Thanks guys- Great tips--Following Sculpin's build, I have decided to just paint the inside of the pilot house and let nature protect the rest..Oh, again thanks to Sculpin I found the correct way to use the weld on mag/zinc bars by searching "zincs" at the alumn boat forum- Thanks for that one too...MERRY CHRISTMAS
and I will post follow up pictures in a couple of weeks.

The PPG paint rep has told us not to use etch under our epoxy,go straight epoxy over the bare aluminum.Make sure to run a red scotch brite pad over the aluminum just before you paint it because a few hours after it's been sanded it is allready oxidizeing

Interesting. I can't see why the etching would hurt anything. Did he say why?

In the old days in the sheet metal industry it was common to use plain old vinegar to etch aluminum. I guess you would have to wash it off right away and dry it out.

I just sanded, washed the deck with an appropriate thinner, then water, and dried it off before applying the epoxy primer. That was what I was told would make the good base for the American Safety product I used.

What I was told today is that the new PPG epoxy has the etching properties built in it,just trying to eliminate a step. You can get the epoxy at lordco

Ok- trying to post update pictures???

Attachments

• Cowichan Valley G-20120414-00081.jpg
    Cowichan Valley G-20120414-00081.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Cowichan Valley G-20120414-00082.jpg
    Cowichan Valley G-20120414-00082.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 226
Wow she turned out great!!!!! That's a lot of work man. Congrats. Have you dumped her for a test drive yet?

It would be cool to see some more pic's if you have them.

Have you dumped her for a test drive yet?

I think he would need some "Go Go" on the back first.

Nice project BTW wish I had the talent you guy's have.
GLG

JUST GOING TO vICTORIA TOMORROW FOR POWER- will try to get better pictures with engines in place.

Wow she turned out great!!!!! That's a lot of work man. Congrats. Have you dumped her for a test drive yet?

It would be cool to see some more pic's if you have them.

JUST GOING TO vICTORIA TOMORROW FOR POWER- will try to get better pictures with engines in place.

Cool man. Can't wait to see her all rigged up. She should go like stink with twin 150's!!!!. Your in the home stretch now. You must be getting excited.

You might want to re-angle those rocket launchers as they may (you won't know until you try) get in your way with rods in them overhead while your playing or landing fish. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
good point on the rockets-will throw some rods in and check- I wanted them on the side as I never seem to find it easy to use when they are 6 1/2 feet up in the air..

good point on the rockets-will throw some rods in and check- I wanted them on the side as I never seem to find it easy to use when they are 6 1/2 feet up in the air..

Just stand on your tippy-toes!!! LOL!

They look great on the side like that. I was just sayin'. Mine are too far leaning back as well and I haven't had a problem yet but want to change them out anyway's 5-10 degrees is all that's needed. They "look" cool sloped back but when one of those overhead rod's get in the way you will be cursing lol.

Cheers,
John

A big project but you've done a beautiful job! Lot's of great memories being made with that one.

There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Back