My Last Boat Build

I needed an Apple Fritter today so of course headed to Shadowline to discuss rod holders and see what was happening. On the way I stopped in to Steiners Bakery to donate some money to help them produce Apple Fritters for the masses. They seem to do it really well without my input but I gave it anyway!! So--oh yeah the boat-a lot of progress but finally we got brought to a screeching halt by Covid and supply issues. We had come so far with all the major stuff and finally-the upholstery lady has covid and the tie between the motors which Don makes is back ordered for parts. Motors are on but not tied together' console is in with windshield and all wiring . and (Don) is going to slant the fenders and put a plates with UHMV on it to act as another set of guides-going to slot the rod holders on the console so the reels will stay aligned and not tap. Decided to go with the Dolphin on the main motor without a water test-pretty obvious-the boat is really big for a 17-if I keep eating apple fritters a 60 might be a little light for a hole shot. That is my only concern with this boat-perhaps a 90 might have been a better choice--my call-fingers crossed. From the photos-we are very close. Just need a little luck with sourcing and a lady feeling better. Oh interesting on the kicker-it is massive for a 9.9-it is a CT(Command Thrust)-apparently uses the same block as the 20hp. My birthday on friday so will go to Shadowline to see how they are doing and also Steiners to see if my helpful hints such as adding Strawberries and cream to the centre of an Apple Fritter has been implemented!! Guaranteed Winner!!

Attachments

• DSC01372.JPG
    DSC01372.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC01373.JPG
    DSC01373.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01374.JPG
    DSC01374.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01375.JPG
    DSC01375.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC01376.JPG
    DSC01376.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01377.JPG
    DSC01377.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC01378.JPG
    DSC01378.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01379.JPG
    DSC01379.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC01380.JPG
    DSC01380.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 257
Today was the day!! Sea trial-Don made it all come together. Blowing southeast and nasty so we went to Mac Giver lake outside CR. The boat launched easily-started easily-full tank of gas and a 60hp merc. A little slow to get on the step and was evident thru-out I had opted for a 60-should have probably gone 90 -still I can live with it-at 4800 No real need to carry 25 gals of gas. The kicker moved the boat really well-steady rpm in all turns-great backing down and turning in reverse. The boat handled exceptionally well in all turns' chop was good. Boat tracked well on the kicker at trolling speed as I moved around. Very stable!! Fit and finish was exceptional-never saw a weld that I even had a
question on. I will be fitting her out over the coming days for fishing. If you are looking for a custom aluminum boat-I would highly recommend Shadowline in Campbell River. She even fits in the garage!!

Attachments

• DSC01386.JPG
    DSC01386.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC01387.JPG
    DSC01387.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC01388.JPG
    DSC01388.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC01389.JPG
    DSC01389.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC01392.JPG
    DSC01392.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC01395.JPG
    DSC01395.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
If you can go through a build and have virtually no scratches in a soft material like aluminum that’s a sign of someone who really cares about the product he’s delivering and knows what he’s doing. Very nice!!

If you can go through a build and have virtually no scratches in a soft material like aluminum that’s a sign of someone who really cares about the product he’s delivering and knows what he’s doing. Very nice!!
We took it out for its sea trial in a fresh water lake-the boat was clean going in and coming out. Don insisted in washing the boat totally again before he gave it to me. It'll never be this clean again!!

Absolutely gorgeous Mike: can i make a silly suggestion? get your self some ski goggles. sometimes you need to stand and drive in a CC and the ski goggles fit right over your glasses and this way your eyes won’t water.

just a gorgeous boat!

Absolutely gorgeous Mike: can i make a silly suggestion? get your self some ski goggles. sometimes you need to stand and drive in a CC and the ski goggles fit right over your glasses and this way your eyes won’t water.

just a gorgeous boat!
Many thanks-I may have under powered her so I am wrestling with a prop problem (slow out of the hole) and pretty slow top end. Not Dons fault-boat is flawless and so well laid out-going to have to sort it

Many thanks-I may have under powered her so I am wrestling with a prop problem (slow out of the hole) and pretty slow top end. Not Dons fault-boat is flawless and so well laid out-going to have to sort it
Your new boat sure looks like a beauty. Will be an awesome jigging boat. It sure is a lot of boat for the 60HP. I say sell the 60hp and get yourself at least a 90hp, I think you'll be happier with the extra power.

I had read that-hence the fingers crossed-also wondering on a 4 stroke with 5500 to 6000 top end what is a reasonable rpm to run at-is 5000 to much?

Beauty boat! I did some guiding out of a bridgeview 18cc with a merc 90. Most of the time the boats were running WOT or trolling, the boats didn’t have an rpm gauge. I can’t recall any issues in fleet over multiple years of use. As mentioned it won’t be the most economical but don’t think you would have many issues running it at higher rpm once it’s broken in.

I had read that-hence the fingers crossed-also wondering on a 4 stroke with 5500 to 6000 top end what is a reasonable rpm to run at-is 5000 to much?
I was told to prop mine at the top end of the manufacturers recommended range of WOT. My 90 says to have WOT at 5000-6000 so mine is at 5850 when I pin it. On long runs, I’m probably cruising at 4400 or so

Beauty boat! I did some guiding out of a bridgeview 18cc with a merc 90. Most of the time the boats were running WOT or trolling, the boats didn’t have an rpm gauge. I can’t recall any issues in fleet over multiple years of use. As mentioned it won’t be the most economical but don’t think you would have many issues running it at higher rpm once it’s broken in.
I have run a 17' cope center console with a 60hp and a Bridgeview 18' CC with a 90hp and wide open throttle is the name of the game 20- 22 knots maxed out if I remember correctly. Don't recall RPM as throttle wide open was the only setting. Thousands upon thousands of hours on those motors.

Awesome boat BTW!

I was told to prop mine at the top end of the manufacturers recommended range of WOT. My 90 says to have WOT at 5000-6000 so mine is at 5850 when I pin it. On long runs, I’m probably cruising at 4400 or so
Ditto, I can just touch 6000 under the right current and wave/trim conditions, cruise at 42-4400 rpm. Love it, the 90 Merc sips fuel.

Back