First boat

Bing

Hi, I need some advice for my first boat in life. Not keen on slatwater fishing, but need it in open water. Because I like fly fishing, I need it to take me to a suitable location. Aluminum is not more suitable than fibreglass in this respect? For now, consider the Kingfisher FALCON and lund pro v. Do you have any experience with these two boats? And whether they can achieve the results I want

i would look at a hewescraft or kingfisher hard top. the falcon requires a lot of modifications before it becomes a useful boat.
you need a hard top for open water particularly if youre in the ocean preferably with a self baling deck.

i would look at a hewescraft or kingfisher hard top. the falcon requires a lot of modifications before it becomes a useful boat.
you need a hard top for open water particularly if youre in the ocean preferably with a self baling deck.
The other I’m looking at is Thunder Jet Luxor.

I don’t think you’d want a hard top if you’re hoping to fly fish out of it. Lots of people fish out of open boats in the open ocean. A soft top would be fine. Top down if your want to fly fish, top up when needed. Like @zurk said, A 18’ hewescraft sportsman or falcon sounds about right.

Do you plan to beach it and wade up rivers or fish the beaches? Basically use it for a water taxi?. If so, aluminum is your friend.

There are a bunch of decent looking 18’ Sportsman & Falcon’s on marketplace for around $50K with decent power. Gives you and idea of the price point and your timing is good as the boat market has slowed.

How far are you planning to travel? How many people in the boat? Are you overnighting in the boat? Are you going to use it for lake fishing? Depending on what you are using it for there is no need to spend 50K on a flyfishing boat.

Jet if you wish to go up rivers. Light-ish, if you might get stuck. Most jet boats pound in swell though. Not all. But most. Maybe describe the ultimate trip...don't give up your fishing spot....it might help with advice. Heading up the coastal fjords? Big lakes? Rivers?

Jet if you wish to go up rivers. Light-ish, if you might get stuck. Most jet boats pound in swell though. Not all. But most. Maybe describe the ultimate trip...don't give up your fishing spot....it might help with advice. Heading up the coastal fjords? Big lakes? Rivers?
Thank you for your reply. I've been reading a lot about boats lately and I've learned that I can't always be a perfect boat, by which I mean stable in open water and in shallow rivers. I would have preferred to have a boat that could go into the shallow rivers and also have something for the big lakes like the power drift boat. But it's said to be dangerous to go into some rivers, so it made me re-evaluate what I needed. Multi-purpose fishing, ht fishing or power drift boats are the ones I am considering now.

Back