My 2 Cents

samba123

I recently posted a question around salmon stamps and got some helpful replies. Thanks to those of you who are more familiar with the regulations and system in place. I was not aware the fees goes towards salmon conservation initiatives so I will gladly pay the fees for myself and my young kids.

It was a simple question and most of the responses were sincere, helpful but more importantly respectful. There were one or 2 comments posted which were not necessary in my opinion. One post was that if I didn't want to pay the $6 per person conservation stamps then perhaps saltwater fishing is not for me. To the person who make that reply, I would like to say don't insult my intelligence by stating the obvious that fishing is an expensive endeavor. As I stated at the beginning of the post, I am new to saltwater fishing and don't understand all of the nuances and details which someone who has been doing it for a long time is well versed in. Whether it be $6, $100 or $1000, if something doesn't benefit or isn't useful to me, why would I spend the money on it? Doesn't mean I can't afford to but it's my own choice.

Anyhow, thank you to the rest of the people who replied and gave me some clarity and insight into my original question.

I recently posted a question around salmon stamps and got some helpful replies. Thanks to those of you who are more familiar with the regulations and system in place. I was not aware the fees goes towards salmon conservation initiatives so I will gladly pay the fees for myself and my young kids.

It was a simple question and most of the responses were sincere, helpful but more importantly respectful. There were one or 2 comments posted which were not necessary in my opinion. One post was that if I didn't want to pay the $6 per person conservation stamps then perhaps saltwater fishing is not for me. To the person who make that reply, I would like to say don't insult my intelligence by stating the obvious that fishing is an expensive endeavor. As I stated at the beginning of the post, I am new to saltwater fishing and don't understand all of the nuances and details which someone who has been doing it for a long time is well versed in. Whether it be $6, $100 or $1000, if something doesn't benefit or isn't useful to me, why would I spend the money on it? Doesn't mean I can't afford to but it's my own choice.

Anyhow, thank you to the rest of the people who replied and gave me some clarity and insight into my original question.

need tough skin on the internet these days... dont take anything said on forums seriously. also might want to post this in your original thread and @Admin can delete this one as no need for a 2nd one.

Gents
Since the original forum is shut down, I’ll post here
I just read the DFO site, the conservation stamp is only needed for salmon retention and is not required for catch and release

That's what i thought also. You don't need a stamp to crab or prawn so only need one if your going to retain a fish. Welcome to the board Samba and good luck out there.

I read @CBsqrd post in that thread and I’m sure it wasn’t meant in a derogatory way. He is a solid guy.

Perhaps I read it the wrong way or was misinterpreted... now worries. Thank you all for the responses. Either way I will be purchasing the salmon stamps as it goes to a good cause. I hope we get the opportunity to fish and retain some fish later this year. Hope you to see you guys on the water and thanks again.

I shut the other thread down because it was heading into one of those debates that never solve anything (C&R). @samba123, most of the people on this forum are fantastic contributors with a wealth of knowledge that go out of their way to help others. The challenge with the written word in a format like this is, it can come across in ways that the writer usually doesn't intend. When things get truly silly, we do our best to deal with it as promptly as possible. Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will find it a mostly hospitable place over time.

Brian

Perhaps I read it the wrong way or was misinterpreted... now worries. Thank you all for the responses. Either way I will be purchasing the salmon stamps as it goes to a good cause. I hope we get the opportunity to fish and retain some fish later this year. Hope you to see you guys on the water and thanks again.

Hey @samba123, apologies for my failed attempt at humour over the internet. I didn't mean to direct the comment at you, but I see now that it is easy to read it that way. That's my fault and I should have known better - to use someone else quote from here, "I'm much funnier in person", although my wife would probably beg to differ.

Welcome to the west coast and the forum. I hope you and your family have a great time exploring your new back yard. Tight lines!

Thanks for the kind words @fishin solo !

Hey @samba123, apologies for my failed attempt at humour over the internet. I didn't mean to direct the comment at you, but I see now that it is easy to read it that way. That's my fault and I should have known better - to use someone else quote from here, "I'm much funnier in person", although my wife would probably beg to differ.

Welcome to the west coast and the forum. I hope you and your family have a great time exploring your new back yard. Tight lines!

Thanks for the kind words @fishin solo !

Here comes a butterfly so let's derail the thread...the starbrite nonskid polish worked awesome. Was that you off Bowen today? Looked like a pair of fresh mercs out back ..

Well after all that! Welcome to the forum and welcome to the west coast!! Where are you going to be fishing out of? Hopefully you and your family can get into some bottom fish! So far they haven't been affected to badly by regulations yet in my opinion!

Michael

Here comes a butterfly so let's derail the thread...the starbrite nonskid polish worked awesome. Was that you off Bowen today? Looked like a pair of fresh mercs out back ..

Yup, that was me yesterday. Saw you just as I was picking up and heading in. The Hourston looked like it was happy winter was over and it was back on the water.

And yes, out for a shake down fish with the new power. I put in the early shift from just after high slack to about noon. Started with three right away and then it slowed down a bit. Had a half dozen legal sized fish, almost all hatchery with biggest around 12 lbs, a few small guys and a couple that popped the clip and that was it. 5" Tomic Tubby 639 and 4" Pesca running above dummy flashers was working for me.

IMG_2233.jpeg

Nice work, the Pursuit looks awesome. Still would like a yoursomeday, congrats on the new power!

This gold 5" was the early winner but the white jughead annihilated it down the stretch. You saw how far away I was from everyone and it was bonkers out there.

The Hourston is pretty dialed in, another bucket of money for new VP manifolds, heat exchanger and starter rebuild and every single engine bay hose as preemptive. I scrubbed the decks one my knees with a magic eraser, then cleaned and polished with that starbrite nonskid and wowsa turned out great.

Anyway what was this thread about again? Welcome to SFBC, OP!!!!

Attachments

• 20200424_123834_resized.jpg
    20200424_123834_resized.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200424_123809_resized.jpg
    20200424_123809_resized.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200424_140413_resized.jpg
    20200424_140413_resized.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 84
Back