MR2 or MR3

I like the quicker pick up of the MR3 for when the hogs turn and come back at you. But if your not catching hogs no problems :p

-Steve

Love the MR2. Send the gear down on free spool and leave the drag alone all day. Sure, faster retrieve is nice, but its all good fun bringing in a fish. I crank em down good on the rigger and I HATE the creep I get on the MR3. Both great reels, but for riggers its MR2 for me

I have 2-2's and 1-3...prefer the drag for precision on the 2's and the line pick up of the 3. If I could only pick one over another I would take the 2's. I also have 3 LA-4 fly reels which I also have run from the riggers. Now they are the ultimate for big springs. They do require more maintenance over a years heavy use and I have to carry spare bearings. They they weren't designed for downrigger use and running a tight drag is hard on the smaller bearings.

I have 1 of each and I second what Tincan & profisher said.

I went out to buy my MR2 today and there wasn't any in stock at three different places I went to. Well one place had a silver one but I want gold. I guess the rising demand is the reason for the shortage according to one dealer.

There's a product called Super Lube that Islander recommends. It looks like a little pen. Just put some on the cork and spread it around with you finger. Make sure the cork is damp, but not overly wet. I also just clean off the old grease with some cue tips and paper towel.

http://www.islander.com/PDF/MR2manual.pdf

Back