MR2 or MR3

Mighty Sylvan

I have worked a couple of extra days unexpectedly and I have decided to put the money towards an Islander. This is an indulgence for me and I want to buy the right reel. I want it to be new, right out of the box. So, which one, the MR2 or the MR3? How do I make the decision? Money is not an issue. I want it to be about the fighting the fish. I love to roll spoons with no flasher when there is lots of action and lots of boats. Me and the fish! So what do you think?

MR3 unless you need the free spool option that the MR2 only has. MR3 does not need any backing. Just straight 30#

MR3 thats the way i roll

-STeve

Justin-Photoshoot-justin-bieber-895.jpg

I prefer the MR 2 - maybe slower pickup but the free spool feature is a great. You can even cast with the MR 2!!!
Stosh

I also purchased the MR3 because of the larger arbor, but mostly because I prefer to reel left handed. The MR2 is right hand only. I love the MR3 but mine seems to creep a bit in the downrigger. Has anyone else had this problem, and what's the fix?

Good luck, you'll love either one. They are pure!!!!!

Down deep the Mr-3 seem to creep a bit.... check to see if you don't have to much grease/oil on the cork.
I'm going to run some 50lb- 832 Sufix on two of my reels to see if less drag... less creep . :)

I have 4 reels. 2 MR2's that are about 3 years old and 2 MR3's that I bought this year. I've serviced my MR2's regularly and they both work great still and I expect them to for many years to come. In terms of pure sport of fighting the fish I'd lean towards the MR2's for a couple reasons:

1) I like the tension on the MR2's more. When a fish is running I find it easier to find that perfect tension setting on my MR2's vs. the MR3's. That said, I'm newer to the MR3's and have only caught a couple fish on them vs. 100's on my MR2's (during coho runs up north and sockeye run last year in Van :). I think for smaller fish (sockeye for example) the MR2 has a more consistent drag whereas the MR3 catches a little bit. I'm sure with a big fish on they are quite similar.

2) This is pretty ticky-tacky but I like the sound of MR2 better. When a fish is peeling line the MR2 has a softer 'scream' than the MR3. MR3 has a louder click to it. Again, splitting hairs but just my personal preference.

3) I too notice the slight creep on the MR3's while in the rod holder on a downrigger. I've seen it on both my MR3's as well as my buddies MR3's when we're out fishing. Not a major issue but I'd prefer it didn't creep at all.

At the end of the day you are going to have the best reel of your life whichever you choose. The retrieve on the MR3 is noticeably better (faster) but, again, if it's all about the fight I think I prefer the challenge of having to reel like a madman on the MR2 vs. reeling at a controlled pace on the MR3. As for colour I'd suggest the black one. I have black and gold and have caught many more fish and my biggest on the black one ;) Congrats!

I had to phone him the minute I posted that to tell him he had just been Brieber'd :D

Yeah, I just thought you were drunk when you kept saying Brieber. I was not aware of the addition of that word to the english language!

LOL

LOL... jerk

No flies for you

All things considered, there are many benefits to the MR3 as stated. However, if you like Cohoes, and don't play 30 lb and bigger slabs all day, then the MR2 is for you. Personally, I own both. The MR3 is kinda like a winch when it comes to bringing in smaller fish (as stated) and ....while that is a crude statement...just an opinion....you'll likely buy the MR3...it's like buying a F350 or a F150.....enjoy your new reel whatever you choose!!!!

Thanks for your responses guys. From what I have read I seem to be leaning toward the MR2. I have Shimano a 4000 now and I get that "winching" them in feeling. I wish I could say I catch 30lbers all the time but reality is they are mostly teens and twenty somethings.

Catching coho on a MR2 is great fun, but catching 30# + fish on the 2 is fantastic - all fun. So, if it's all about fun - you can't go wrong with the MR2. I would suspect most charter boats prefer MR3's.
Go have fun!
Stosh

Back