Moutcha Bay / Nootka Sound Resort Leasing Halibut quota on the experimental license.

Lets just put this to bed by driving the point home...it isn't illegal to buy farmed west coast salmon in the store....but if you do, you are not helping the cause.

Another couple of lodges I will never go to or support in any way. I have only one voice and choice in the EXPERIMENTAL halibut fishery. I can only vote with my dollars and they will NEVER go to these lodges.

Marketing is to the Washington / Oregon crowd who basically have NO Halibut opportunities (compared with us), so they can legally load up on their seasonal quota of halis (or more if they have the bucks) to bring home after a week of fishing, and not be over their possession limit. What would happen if the experimental quota was only for Canadian fishermen. Would one pound even be sold by the Lodges?

Drewski

Geez, Reading this I can't help but think that someone engineered a way to drive a wedge between those of us who just love to fish. We have strength in numbers. When you fractionize the lobby group into small individual special interest groups, thats when you start to lose your influence inertia. We're going to end up with different groups lobbying for different things and reduce the overall strength of a larger lobby group. Divide and counquer seems to be at play here, and, they are winning.

So what does that say about us, to anyone coming here fishing for Hali's from someplace else?

Are they thinking " Bwahaha...those Canuck's will sell out their own fishery to the commies to make a buck off us tourists.....talk about desperation..."

Jackel is right his friends choice to lease quota is their choice... BUT Jackel also has a choice weather or not he wants them to fish said quota on his boat that is HIS choice. Just because somebody else is buying the quota does not absolve the friend and of guide of responsibility for their part in the harvest. I'm just guessing but these hog hunter friends might be former clients? Or maybe I read it wrong and your not taking them out but I bet you can't wait to try and put their quota to use. Formerly heavy hauler right? You've caught your share of hogs.

Anyways if your a lodge, charter operator or just taking out friends you have the choice to educate your guests about the cause and effect of the program or you can take the short term money and participate yourself. This might work out for big high end lodges but if a small time guide takes out quota holders that could be very short sighted.

How many quota holder trips will you get /year? 1 or 2? How many regular rec trips? 30-50?

So what happens when all fishing is through quota? You lose your 30-50 trips and maybe gain a couple more quota trips but the two won't balance each other out we'll all lose.

Remember as a kid going into a farmers field and picking a strawberry or whatever and the farmer comes out and chased you around in his truck? That will be our ocean soon Jimmy P will have boats out there checking to ensure your set up to buy his quota or they will try to kick you off the water. You don't think so? Just wait DFO isn't going to enforce this program when it's in full swing they will let quota holders enforce it and instead of poaching you'll be charged for theft. Those are Jimmy's fish your catching son.

What you are seeing is the effects of a Neo Con idea: Sell the Public Resource. The idea is that the private sector can better manage the public resource, and it means smaller government!!! The trouble is, the private sector is to pay a FEEEEEEEE for the resource. Really, the commies don't pay much for a license compared to what they take. If it was oil there would be a 25 % royalty. If it was timber, it should be stumpage. etc. etc. Anyways, selling quota is just another way to make money, but this time, WITHOUT THE OVERHEAD OF RUNNING THE BOAT! Commies could just go out and kill the fish themselves, but why pay overhead when someone else will do the work, and still pay up per pound caught?

The fact that the recreational sector pays up to $100.00 per pound for recreational fish is lost on a Government that saw someone pay directly $5.00 per pound, but kept a commercial operation going, which is really how we measure the strength of the ecomony. Right?

Drewski

The ones who pushed and supported the 126 cm max size limit should have seen this coming. It's not quite fair solely blaming the lodges and resorts now using this shady deal after being pushed against the wall by the new regs. A lot of their business comes from far away tourists and they don't want to come here to BC for few small or mediocre fish . They shell out $5k plus to come here and have a chance of catching a fish they cannot catch at home - a fish of a lifetime. Look at the high gloss brochures of many lodges and resorts and see what they are advertizing for: the mighty Chinook and the giant Pacific Halibut. Do you think they are going to change that to a "nice 8 lbs clipped winter spring" and a "delicious 15 lbs hali-ping pong paddle"? Their business model is based on a special experience and excitement - the trophy hunt. If you take that away from them but leave them this back door open - how can you blame them for using it? And don't try telling me that most anglers go to Rivers Inlet to enjoy the spectacular scenery only. They want the big one.

That all should have been considered before voting for this slot size regulation. So while I absolutely hate to see someone using this experimental licence and potentially lock us into this mess forever, I can certainly see how the SFAB decisions have left some lodges and resorts with very little choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Chris. Odd that the decision was thought to reduce the chances of leasing. Backfired in every aspect. But I'm sure if you asked those that voted if they would change their vote in hindsight they'd say yes. Imagine if next yr we are reduced to 500k-700k and its 1/1 with slot. Lease city then. Need more than 15% before. 2015-2016 season

The government needs to look at WHO is leasing.

If its foreign citizens then clearly it's not a program Canadians want.

If its all lodges/guides then you know what? Maybe that's a system that works for them and the lodges /guides who choose to take advantage can get off the rec system and lease all their fish. That would be great.

This I'll fish under my rec license then lease on top is what really drives me nuts it should be either all leased or all sport caught pick one or the other.

One thing we know is DFO LOVES different rules for different users. Race discrimination, area discrimination (when targeting an identical run of fish) and now they also want to discriminate based off your disposable income.

Back