Moutcha Bay Resort - Nootka

Anyone else hear the Radio ad for Moutcha Bay professing that if you catch a Hali over 60lbs you can keep the "remaining pounds" at commercial rates?

WTF is going on in this Province?

It's quite amusing that I (along with others) were called "commies" for predicting this would happen back when all the Hali debates were happening. Simple economics and business preservation principles.

Ad has been running on the Jet for at least a week. Cute commercial. The edge of the wedge is in. Quota is divide and conquer at its best as sportfisherman begin to regard lodge operators (who buy quota) as the enemy. Sports lobby was in tough before this.

We are coerced to be members of the church of BIG. Oil, agriculture, fish, whatever as BIG business and BIG government walk hand in hand along the beach for the good of the people. SMALL, like mom and pop trollers, farmers, ranchers, and restaurants has been out of fashion for a long time. The consequences of BIG are just becoming more apparent.

Anarchy is one solution but in reality we will have to get BIG to fight these vested interests.

Sorry about the rant. I am going to contact the Jet.

This is NOT good! :mad:

We need to have solidarity across the entire recreational angler sector to continue the boycott this illogical, immoral, and ultimately illegal plan by the souless, Harper govt and the DFO to privatize our public resources to the highest bidder. I suggest a renewed boycott campaign of ALL business that buy any quota in the flawed and deceptive halbit ITQ experimental program.

Hopefully, many others out there agree with me, or we will begin to lose a very big and important battle!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holmes?

Ad has been running on the Jet for at least a week. Cute commercial. The edge of the wedge is in. Quota is divide and conquer at its best as sportfisherman begin to regard lodge operators (who buy quota) as the enemy. Sports lobby was in tough before this.

We are coerced to be members of the church of BIG. Oil, agriculture, fish, whatever as BIG business and BIG government walk hand in hand along the beach for the good of the people. SMALL, like mom and pop trollers, farmers, ranchers, and restaurants has been out of fashion for a long time. The consequences of BIG are just becoming more apparent.

Anarchy is one solution but in reality we will have to get BIG to fight these vested interests.

Sorry about the rant. I am going to contact the Jet.

Anarchy ?.....Holmes is back?

Just curious how this works,-guy goes fishing in his own boat from Moutcha bay out to Bajo Reef-lucks in and gets an 80 lber. Gets stopped by Dfo on the way back and says "I'm staying at Moutcha Bay and they have quota". There has to be another step in here somehow-he must have to buy a pound of quota upfront or something? Tell me how this scam works!!

Do not have to buy up front. Just have to buy it by end of year. Size limit was the best thing dfo ever heard of for the experimental program...1/1 less would of been leased or 1/2 slot on 1 fish except 1/1 July and aug. But that's been debated to death.

This experimental program is essentially honour system

I call BS - If I catch a 80lb fish and apply some wood shampoo but am stopped by DFO there is no way they are letting me walk if I say "I will but the 20lbs by Dec 31".

Unless I am misreading your post that is the way it comes across. Maybe I have to be registered?

For the record - I am not considering this!

Do not have to buy up front. Just have to buy it by end of year. Size limit was the best thing dfo ever heard of for the experimental program...1/1 less would of been leased or 1/2 slot on 1 fish except 1/1 July and aug. But that's been debated to death.

This experimental program is essentially honour system
Not going for an argument or a popcorn session-surely you can't just check into Moutcha bay and without applying for quota just go target big hali's-if you get none it's cost you nothing and if you get one you pay moutcha bay? for the privilege? I don't see how this system works?

That's how it works guys. This is why it's so ridiculous. As long as you have the license you don't have to buy quota until dec 31st equivalent to your poundage. I think you get a logbook you have to fill out and that's how they tell though

That's how it works guys. This is why it's so ridiculous. As long as you have the license you don't have to buy quota until dec 31st equivalent to your poundage. I think you get a logbook you have to fill out and that's how they tell though

You have to purchase a minimum of 10lbs before you start fishing. Then you log everything you catch. If you go over then you have to purchase more quota by the end of the year to make up the difference.

Its funny how the sports fishery is repeating exactly how the commercial industry did when quota first became reality.
Those that resisted ended up being the losers and paid much more than the ones in early. It did not go away , it just grew and grew.
I,m ex-commie and also love sport fishing , and if i can offer any advise it would be.....if you are serious about staying in the rec/sport industry as a commercial guide or lodge , jump into this asap as it will not get better or cheaper and will guarantee you a foothold in the industry. Anarchy , revolution , non-compliance , boycotts were all used by us too and all failed. And while we protested the smart ones quietly got in the basement and loaded up.
I was one who fought tooth and nail and ended taking it up the hoop , and in the end had to buy $$$$ quota to stay alive.
I can see how these special lics. will end up being very valuable in a few years and will be limited very quickly by the few guides and lodges that have them.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.html
just saying !!!

Its funny how the sports fishery is repeating exactly how the commercial industry did when quota first became reality.
Those that resisted ended up being the losers and paid much more than the ones in early. It did not go away , it just grew and grew.
I,m ex-commie and also love sport fishing , and if i can offer any advise it would be.....if you are serious about staying in the rec/sport industry as a commercial guide or lodge , jump into this asap as it will not get better or cheaper and will guarantee you a foothold in the industry. Anarchy , revolution , non-compliance , boycotts were all used by us too and all failed. And while we protested the smart ones quietly got in the basement and loaded up.
I was one who fought tooth and nail and ended taking it up the hoop , and in the end had to buy $$$$ quota to stay alive.
I can see how these special lics. will end up being very valuable in a few years and will be limited very quickly by the few guides and lodges that have them.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.html
just saying !!!
********, Perhaps check the MOU of this program. No restrictions on licenses, value to be determined every year, and available up to the full allocation of the commies. There will be no "high demand" for this BS program. Those who choose to purchase, should be required to join the commie side of the coin and not the recreational fishing as they have just crossed the line from "Guide" to commercial seller of fish.

********, Perhaps check the MOU of this program. No restrictions on licenses, value to be determined every year, and available up to the full allocation of the commies. There will be no "high demand" for this BS program. Those who choose to purchase, should be required to join the commie side of the coin and not the recreational fishing as they have just crossed the line from "Guide" to commercial seller of fish.

Wow - what a novel concept... This was also discussed in the earlier Halibut threads. I guess you are a commercial fisherman (just like me...) considering the theme of statements made by select few on this site. I was flamed for stating this - blind people will never see...

Why are lodges able to pull from the Rec sector TAC if this BS is going to happen. We have a problem...

just saying !!!

I say total B.S.too! The way that this experimental "privitization of common property resources" wins out is for short-sighted, greedy, people to buy quota in the program for their own selfish gain at the expense of the common man's right to fish - a precious right, hard fought for over the last thousand years, starting with the Magna Carta.

Bad things prevail, when good man do nothing about it. I say we need to have strong solidarity in the rec. sector against this very flawed program and boycott it and boycott ALL those lodges and guides that buy into it.

We can't lose sight of the big picture here. We will eventually lose the ability and right to recreationally fish - just like happened on the East Coast. The DFO and Harper Govt. will privitize the fish and shellfish to the highest bidder - we can't let this happen!!!

This experimental program is just the thin edge of the wedge that we must continue to boycott!!!! If we don't eventually the only way to eat fresh fish will be via a commie and the only way to catch a fish will be via a guide/lodge - this is NOT the future we want!!!

I will be telling Moutcha Bay that I will not support their business again and strongly encourage others to boycott them as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
where is the flogging a dead horse icon?

I say total BS too! The way that this experimental "privitization of common property resources" wins out is for short-sighted, greedy, people to buy quota in the program for their own selfish gain at the expense of the common man's right to fish - a right hard fought for over the last thousand years, starting with the Magna Carta.

Bad things prevail, when good man do nothing about it. I say we need to have strong solidarity in the rec. sector against this very flawed program and boycott it and boycott ALL those lodges and guides that buy into it.

We can't lose sight of the big picture here. We will eventually lose the ability and right to recreationally fish - just like happened on the East Coast. The DFO and Harper Govt. will privitize the fish and shellfish to the highest bidder - we can't let this happen!!!

This experimental program is just the thin edge of the wedge that we must continue to boycott!!!! If we don't eventually the only way to eat fresh fish will be via a commie and the only way to catch a fish will be via a guide/lodge - this is NOT the future we want!!!

Or be down to a one week season like the Yanks....
Or if you want to stay in business you buy a few lbs to keep your clients happy.

A guide or lodge is a commercial venture if you take the word literately. It is not a commercial fishing operation by definition. Lodges and guides are in a business of taking recreational fishermen fishing. All anglers (guides and average joe's) fish by the hour, not by the pound. That is the difference. A guide or lodge gets paid even if all the fish are released or none are caught at all. A commi goes broke when he can't catch enough anymore. That is why the commercial fleet is a fraction of what it once was and why lodges and sport fishing is still fairly stable, even with some depressed stocks.

Or be down to a one week season like the Yanks....
Or if you want to stay in business you buy a few lbs to keep your clients happy.

or better yet, you could go do your fishing on the East Coast and leave us in peace to fish the way we want to keep it.

The reality you predict only occurs when people sell out and give into greed and self preservation over the common, long term good of all.

Back