Road Trip to Moucha Bay Conuma and Westview/Tahsis

spring fever

Decided it was time to have a look at the other side of Nootka, see where the fish were raised that I enjoy every summer and see for myself what the Tahsis area is all about. I had a kind invitation from Fish on John to come up for a visit-so we took him up on it. Very familiar with the drive to Gold River but it seemed strange without the boat behind me and so few boats on the road. Stopped at Moutcha bay and had a look around-very nice campground,lodge, launch area. Quite a few fish jumping in Head bay!! Got stopped by a paving crew for 15 minutes just by Moutcha bay-another stretch paved!! almost all the steep grades were paved and the gravel was newly graded. Arrived in a timely fashion-had a tour around town-lots of houses for sale-still has a lot of infra-structure in place and functioning but like a lot of mill towns in B.C. -it is drastically shrinking from its former heyday.
Toured all of Westview marina-still a fair number of fisherman and rightly so-some excellent catches of Hali, Ling, Springs and coho came in while I was there. Friday night was Rock the Dock which I gather is a regular occurrence which also coincides with Steak night. Man! fisherman know how to enjoy themselves. Just an excellent night both for food and entertainment.
Next morning-I did what I really wanted to do and that was look at the docks. I watched the guys leave for the day bright and early (with fresh coffee)-felt strange not going!! I couldn't help but think "what a well run and efficient facility it was" Good maneuvering room, slips and docks in excellent condition, good protection and room for 150 boats.
The Tahsis salmon enhancement derby had just finished the week before and raised close to 40,000 for enhancement in the area. John and Cathy host the event and it is amazing to see how the temporary summer residents throw themselves into the Derby and continue into the enhancement work. Checked the Tahsis,leiner,sicowe, and Conuma (spelling?) rivers for returners. The enhancement volunteers were taking fish, checking pools-doing counts. Most impressive!! Visited the Conuma Hatchery. The Tahsis enhancement society funds an extra million fish at this hatchery since the Feds have dropped funding from the high of 8 million fish down to 3 million.

Now the good news-the hatchery had its full quota of fish (man I missed some Dandies) but even better than that the returns above the hatchery to naturally spawn were wonderful to see. I had nothing to base my view on but FOJ said it was the best he'd seen in 20 years.

So all in all a fun trip, great weather and a better understanding how the returns stay so good in Nootka. Lots of folks trying to do the right thing-and I don't often say this but I think they are succeeding

This is not a advertisement for Westview or Moutcha bay-both are extremely well run and nice facilities, launch ramps, docking available, Moutcha bay has camping while Westview has a fair amount of accommodation. Westview has both Diesel and marine gas-not sure on Moutcha Bay as they were closed for the season. Westview is full service including coffee at 5 am (summer) and BOAT MECHANIC- The road to both is a bit of a chore-I'm sure in the summer it is pretty dusty so precautions should be taken and drive it slow. My preferred option would be to launch at Gold River and go by water. The Ideal Café in Campbell River is still the best breakfast stop on the planet.!! LOL

Geat report Spring Fever. Thanks! While I have been fishing Nootka for the past decade, I have never made if to Tahsis or beyond the Moutcha Bay turn-off on the road to Tahsis. Reading your article made me think that perhaps I should.

Great report Spring Fever. A couple weeks ago (started aug 26th)I fished the Esperanza area for 5 days. I was suprised to find as many springs as we had. FOJ's fishing report of nootka being a bit dead, but esperanza still having descent fishing seemed to be spot on to me. I respect that he stays positive while others sometimes try to give him a bit of a hard time regarding his reports, etc. I've been to moutcha bay and have toured their facilities a bit also. first class operation for sure. just wish they didn't support the halibut quota purchase program. haven't been to westview yet but will for sure sometime. maybe next year. I must say I was very impressed with the esperanza fuel dock. those guys were great!. they came out and down in the rain to help us dock when they saw us heading towards them. and their price for diesel was the same as it was in gold river. very reasonable for being on the water! I was very suprised to see that. also tackle and bait was also very reasonably priced. If you're in that area needing supplies, please give them some of your business. heading out for one more trip up to goldriver, nootka... maybe esperanza area again around the 27th of sept for 5 or 6 days. hoping to find a few northern coho.... maybe a halibut or 2 also.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have been thinking on is that road-I would estimate that 40 to 50%is now paved and it is highway wide for most part. IF-IF I was going to drive in to Cougar creek or on to Tuta Marine then Moutcha Bay or Westview is definitely the better road option as far as the towing aspect and beating up a boat or trailer is concerned. I am not extolling one resort over another each has its strong points and backers but if you insist on towing on those roads then Moutcha and Westview are the better road options IMHO.

Nice report. My brother and I have stayed at Westview several times now and each time we are so impressed with the hospitality and the service that we receive. John, Cathy and their crew are fantastic hosts. We always feel like we are in the "trip of a lifetime".

Alan

Back