Moutcha Bay / Nootka Sound Resort Leasing Halibut quota on the experimental license.

El Capitan

I was thinking about going to Moutcha Bay for the Canada day derby, when I discovered on their website that they also had some halibut quota for lease (check the rates and booking page for Nootka sound resort). I think I will skip the derby and just donate the fee to a hatchery. Unbelievable!!

Short term thinking that will come back to bite them. I will never use their accommodations as an alternative to my existing, even if it means I loose work. I hope Critter Cove and the others not going this route propser this summer.

I was thinking about going to Moutcha Bay for the Canada day derby, when I discovered on their website that they also had some halibut quota for lease (check the rates and booking page for Nootka sound resort). I think I will skip the derby and just donate the fee to a hatchery. Unbelievable!!

Right off their website:

Halibut Alert!

Retain all the halibut you catch if you wish in addition to the halibut per day possession, 6 per season granted by your 2013 BC fishing licence. All of our guide and rental boats come equipped with halibut quota converted to sport fishing, under an experimental program created by the department of Fisheries and Oceans. Nootka Marine Adventures has bought and prepaid 2,600 lbs of halibut for our guests to retain for this season. Imagine, catch what your license allows, and tehn if you which, share in our 2,600 lbs at our cost.

Moutcha Bay Resort and Nootka Sound Resort are the only lodges in BC, with a government approved fish processing facility and it will be responsible for managing our share of this government program.

If you fish for halibut please phone us so we can “acquaint” you with the fine print. As with most government programs there is plenty of it! Please review the following link. The department of Fisheries and Oceans is www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I sent them an email sharing my disappointment and that I will no longer support them with referrals. Will send any work to others instead.

Good luck getting more than 15%. Longer these regs go on more leased and less likely to get anymore, especially now with appeal going on and next year unlikely to get more than 15% for sure. Werent these regs put in to reduce chance of leasing? Already this yr before season even starts Wayyy more leased.

Jackel, Of course they can do whatever they want in running their own business, but that shouldn't stop those who used to be customers/supporters from voicing their discontent. Like profisher said, this could be very short term thinking and they may not realize just how many loyal customers disapprove.

It is their business and they can do what ever they see fit to run their business. So if they want to lease quota and it is legal to do so then that is there choice . If you chose not to go there it is also your choice. Move on!

Unfortunately I have to agree with this.

Short term thinking that will come back to bite them. I will never use their accommodations as an alternative to my existing, even if it means I loose work. I hope Critter Cove and the others not going this route propser this summer.
Critter confirmed in writing to me earlier in the spring that they would not participate in this "program"..... Made sure prior to giving them my deposit. Very sad Moutcha. I will never put a foot on your dock!

If you let someone on your boat that wants to buy quota you are just as bad as the lodge buying it. Passing the buck acting like "well its not me" is not going to fly. Saying that it is their choice is fine, but in the future when our ONLY choice to fish halibut is to buy quota then what? The decisions we make now and the "choices "we make will shape our future in this fishery and all others. And the way its going, it is going to be a "pay to play" fishery. Any lodge that buys quota should be hung out to dry PUBLICLY. If you have lodges promoting this on the internet for everyone to see, imagine how many have it that aren't.

Some of you make me sick.

good first post double.... i concur as many others do.

I would explain to them why they would have to find someone else. I would pass on a single group loose that revenue and sleep at night knowing I didn't help the government make the west coast a copy of the east. If no one buys into this program it fails and we win. As a life long resident of BC and someone who has enjoyed our tidal water fisheries since the mid-sixties. Seen the ups and downs of the decades and in recent years fought hard for our rights to have continued access to these fisheries. How high on my priority list do you think worrying about the wants of 20 guys from Alberta would be?

Jackel - you might like to have a "discussion" on this topic, but speaking from experience, you're not going to get much "discussion" on this Forum. People here are pretty hard over on this topic and to paraphrase the late Jim Croce, "...you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with the Experimental Halibut Quota Program."

I for one can not support a two tier recreational fishery.
That road leads to disaster for my passion.
Just because a bunch of pencil pushers think that a "market based system" is best does not mean its right. Sometimes you have to stand on your principle and not accept what is legal.
I'm not giving any company my business that supports this BS nor am going to fish with anyone that has quota. If a friend shows up with quota.... that paper work will stay in his truck. It's a free country so what others do is up to them but count me out of that deal.
GLG

Things are not looking good for the future of halibut fishing here. Especially if we won't get any more % till 2015 or 2016. The amount of leasers will only go up that way then further decreasing chances of more %

I for one can not support a two tier recreational fishery.
That road leads to disaster for my passion.
Just because a bunch of pencil pushers think that a "market based system" is best does not mean its right. Sometimes you have to stand on your principle and not accept what is legal.
I'm not giving any company my business that supports this BS nor am going to fish with anyone that has quota. If a friend shows up with quota.... that paper work will stay in his truck. It's a free country so what others do is up to them but count me out of that deal.
GLG

I agree completely. Great post GLG.

This isn't about whether or not it's legal. This is about moral's as recreational sports fisher people. Profisher posted up some great replies that I respect a lot. If this goes on and gains ground we will ALL have to buy quota to fish, prawn, crab, and probably hunt for shell fish on the damn beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes awesome first post. So the way that this all came to be was to give every Canadian the opportunity to catch a halibut. My friends are Canadian do not own a boat and want to fish for big halibut. So now you are saying to them that they can fish with me but only keep what you want them to keep. Can't have it both ways my friend, if it is legal for them to but quota then they can buy it. As I stated I am not interested in buying it, if they want to then the choice is theirs. Yes soon it seems it will be all quota/commercial just like the lobster fishery, which will totally suck, so then what no one will buy quota. It is a free country and as long as no one is breaking the rules then again their choice. Here is a question for the guides/lodges, say you have a group of 20 guys from the patch, come every year, book multiply trips, like to spend the big money and want to catch big halibut, they want to but quota what do you do. Tell them to pound salt or give them the service they are looking for, remember it is not them who made the rules they just want to fish for something that is available to them in a round about way. Oh ya and please try and keep it civil it is called a discussion. Good point Pro if the seasons become shorter then yes we will all be affected, more so those that make their living off of the resource. Me personally it would not effect my take as I am a rec fisher and do not take much from the resource, fire away!

The decision to buy/provide quota is a moral issue, not a legal issue. [edit] Oops. Looks like Sculpin beat me to it. [edit]

Back