Motor Oil Inquiry

Btobacca

I have a 2004 Johnson 140 HP Outboard. I can’t seem to find the 10w40 Johnson/Evinrude brand of oil that they recommend in the Manual. Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative oil for that brand of motor/year.
Cheers.

I
I have a 2004 Johnson 140 HP Outboard. I can’t seem to find the 10w40 Johnson/Evinrude brand of oil that they recommend in the Manual. Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative oil for that brand of motor/year.
Cheers.
Is that the first year of the Johnsuki? If so check to see what the 2004 140 zuk takes and it's a good bet it's the same.

If you’re willing to spend more $$, get the Suzuki brand oil. If you’re in the habit of changing your engine oil and filter every 100 hrs, just buy the outboard 10w40 marine oil from CT and it’ll do the same thing. BTW, that’s what my Suzuki dealer told me. I still buy my service kit from Suzuki every year but if I’m out of town and need a quick oil change, I won’t be too fussed about what brand of marine oil I use.

Cheers
I will probably get bashed for this lol, I have an 06 225 Honda and use a premium 10/30 oil, not Honda just whatever CT has on special , been doing this going 6 years now, just did oil change today( boat is going to sleep for the next 6 months) never had a issue. A very close friend of mine as been working at an oil recycling plant for over 30 years, he knows a lot more about oil then I do and told me premium oil is basically all the same crap just different brand name( marine or not)

There’s really not much difference between the marine oil cost and the non-marine. The OP was asking for an alternative to the Johnson brand. Any marine oil for a 4-stroke would be a good alternative. We spend way more on fishing gear that may never get used than the engine oil. ;)

There’s really not much difference between the marine oil cost and the non-marine. The OP was asking for an alternative to the Johnson brand. Any marine oil for a 4-stroke would be a good alternative. We spend way more on fishing gear that may never get used than the engine oil. ;)
Big difference, like double the price, I only put on 50-60 hrs a season, the oil is still
In good shape at the end of the season when I change it. But ya if you want to spend 20$ a litre for marine oil go ahead, all I was saying is I don’t think that if you don’t use Yamaha oil in your Yamaha outboard it’s going to blow up on you, frequent oil change is more important then what brand you use IMO

$43.99 for 4 litre jug Canadian Tire, I just picked up a 4 litre jug of Yamalube from Sherwood marine $36.39. Odd eh!

$43.99 for 4 litre jug Canadian Tire, I just picked up a 4 litre jug of Yamalube from Sherwood marine $36.39. Odd eh!
And pick 2x 5l of penzoil for 40$, lol my Honda was pissed I wasn’t putting Honda oil in it, I knew the yamalube guys in their yam outboard would be offended lol,

And pick 2x 5l of penzoil for 40$, lol my Honda was pissed I wasn’t putting Honda oil in it, I knew the yamalube guys in their yam outboard would be offended lol,
I'm not offended in the slightest :) Burn what you like its your boat and its sorta a free country still :). But if it was me and I had to run automotive oil in my boats it would be the oil for high mileage cars its has a lot of the same lubrication additives.

I'm not offended in the slightest :) Burn what you like its your boat and its sorta a free country still :). But if it was me and I had to run automotive oil in my boats it would be the oil for high mileage cars its has a lot of the same lubrication additives.
Lol all good, I just one that rather do 2x oil change for the price of one, 50-60hrs instead of 100-120 hrs, like I said when I do my oil change the oil is still in good shape, personally would run clean auto oil over dirty overpriced marine oil

Has anyone tried synthetic blend oil in their 4 stroke outboards ?
I have been running Ecstar V7000 in my pair of 140s for 400 hours but will probably be switching to yamalube non synthetic as i can get it locally and doubt there is much benefit of running the suzuki semisynthetic.

Has anyone tried synthetic blend oil in their 4 stroke outboards ?
Merc makes and recommends a semi synthetic 10w-40 for their 4.6 V8 (225-300) seapro. It's about $100 gal which seams steep but what isn't. I suspect they put it in other stuff. I have run that for three years. Amsoil makes a 10w-40 semi synthetic as well which is half the price.

Marine oils are formulated with higher film strength and anti-rust and anti-corrosion additives to better protect your boat's engine. These additives form a resilient protective layer that clings to the engine parts. They are also better able to deal with moisture, holding it until the next change. I use the Lucas version because it also contains additional zinc - needed by the old, flat tappets in my 454. Considering the value of routine oil and filter changes, most oils are good, marine even better. Maybe an extra $50 per year for those.

Last edited:
Just be careful not to use semi-synthetic oil during the initial break in period, it can impede proper seating of the rings.

Conventional oil provides full hydrodynamic films. It also allows for enough friction and heat to wear mating parts together. Synthetic engine oils can actually prolong break-in time. They also have potential to glaze cylinders, which will incapacitate proper ring seating.

Back