Oil Drain Plug Help!

Btobacca

I’ve been trying to do an oil change on my 2004 Johnson 140 HP outboard. When I went to turn the oil plug on the leg it would’t release. I tried penetrating oil and different Allen keys but the hex pattern seems to be stripping? I’m starting to wondering if it needs a special bit? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?
I have been using a 6 mm Allen wrench- came with the motor tool kit and penetrating oil with zero success, Allen key isn’t catching anymore. Please help!!

Attachments

• 6FCF742B-2A4E-462F-85F6-117567EC9C41.jpeg
    6FCF742B-2A4E-462F-85F6-117567EC9C41.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 7F5AE7F9-32F9-413C-ADBC-86DB9A892F32.jpeg
    7F5AE7F9-32F9-413C-ADBC-86DB9A892F32.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 65
I’ve been trying to do an oil change on my 2004 Johnson 140 HP outboard. When I went to turn the oil plug on the leg it would’t release. I tried penetrating oil and different Allen keys but the hex pattern seems to be stripping? I’m starting to wondering if it needs a special bit? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?
I have been using a 6 mm Allen wrench- came with the motor tool kit and penetrating oil with zero success, Allen key isn’t catching anymore. Please help!!

Keep hitting it with the penetrating oil couple more times, try heating it up with a torch and use a good biting easy out. Doesn't sound like that plug is any good for re use anyway. If you want to re use it, have a welder put a nut on the stripped head.

take a flat round punch that fits the head of the plug and give it a good wack with a hammer, stainless plugs some times need a good hit to free then up

I had stripped one on my engine as well. I tried penetrating oils and different easy outs but the 4 sided ones only chewed it up more. The one in the photo did the trick for me along with a little bit of heat.

IMG_7139.jpg

Get A hammer screw driver and stick a allen bit in it after you get the right size and give it a whack with a flat punch and hammer like suggested

Back