mooching reel review?

At the end of the day I still think islander makes the best aluminum mooching reel on the market, plus they are built in canada and in BC none the less. I just wish they would make the mr2 with a slightly larger arbour and still retain the freespool.

High Five I will try to get some pictures for you and everyone else this weekend. Just so you know i'm not pulling my opinion out of thin air, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and have a fairly good grasp on mechanical design. My only point is people are using fly reels which are built to different design constraints than mooching reels. Fly reels need to be super light and still have a good drag. I can watch the frame of my LX's flex when tightening down the drag.

Whoa they just built another MR3 with a different hole pattern........I would like to see an original design come to market.

BTW just to add to my post as I like promoting local stuff/designers. The coast reels FA just referred to are recently developed, but I haven't tried them. Don't know too much about them. I know those guys are trying hard to make something work, and are one of the first to really start working on some of flaws. I do think this reel is reversible. I like these guys they run a good tackle shop, and I wish them well with it. I would go in and see them if you want more info:

Here is a link to there site:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wise-Buys-Fishing-Supplies/250473328394633

Anyone know what these Wise Buys reels will be selling for???

There is a significant amount of time invested in engineering, cnc programming and machine time. The price is not out of line if they are made in Canada. There is a difference between manufacturing cost and design investment. Realistically how many will they sell in a year?

Looks like a decent reel but to be in competition with Islanders i think the price point is a little high .

that's the problem, its an islander clone, right down to the colors. So you can say hey it costs a lot of of money to design a reel, but if you basically rip off another companies design, how much was really invested in R&D?? Even if the design cost a ton to produce, $600/reel isn't going to work for most anglers.

that reel is retarded, wider handles allow more line to be picked up with less rotations of the wrist. dumb.
I don't think that's accurate. It doesn't matter how far apart they are spaced, you still have to make a revolution (rotation of the wrist) and the arbour is still the same diameter.
Really, you're just making smaller rotations of the wrist. The closer they are together/to the center, maybe the more effort you have to put into each rotation with a tighter turn.

So far, in my experience with Islander, there are a few things I don't like:
1 - Creep. I have 4, 2 ported 2 not ported, all 4 creep. Creep when new, creep after servicing.
2 - Reel noise (clicker). Too quiet when going out, to noisy when reeling in.
3 - Don't know what is covered by warranty and what isn't. Handles aren't apparently.
4 - I've met with a couple of Islander guys at different shows. Or maybe the same guy, or maybe they are reps, but when discussing my concerns #1 & #2, they basically dismissed them and told me they are thinking of eliminating the clicker noise which would be the resolution to my concerns???

I have 4 MR3s (all as gifts I had put on my wish list). I like them, they do feel great when fighting fish. Just with the few things pointed out above.

When I find something that I like better, I'll replace them. That Kraken looks neat. I'm interested in trying one. The XLA version looks interesting, but the handle placement doesn't look that comfortable, but would have to try to make a judgement on.

No free spool, same stupid handles and over priced......It's an over priced knock off in my opinion. Sorry it say, but that's how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still quite a bit development cost even at a copy. You need 3D models drawn up, there is prototyping, material specifications, ordering parts, and a experienced designer to pull it off. That takes money and we are not that cheap. It takes a couple of prototype runs to get it right with tolerances etc. And since you are low volume machine shops will be very expensive to produce parts. Every part needs to be programmed. That's how it works it pays off with high volume not low volume. Also you are asking for low run anodizing another annoyance for most vendors. Most would rather have high volume order so you pay the price....

So for 600.00 I would say first run not bad.

Oh sure that all costs money, but you need to spread out the original design cost over the next 5 years. Trying to recover your initial investment in your first run of reels isn't going to work. I doubt you're going to pay $600 for an island knock off are you? But hey maybe I'm just cheap, does anybody plan to buy one?

I don't think that's accurate. It doesn't matter how far apart they are spaced, you still have to make a revolution (rotation of the wrist) and the arbour is still the same diameter.
Really, you're just making smaller rotations of the wrist. The closer they are together/to the center, maybe the more effort you have to put into each rotation with a tighter turn.

You may be right, I was thinking along the lines of the gears on a bike, but unlike a bike the arbor isn't changing size with the position of the handles. What they've done is reduce the movement to the rotation of your wrist, as opposed to the convential way where your whole arm and even shoulder can be involved. Its still a gimmick, solution without a problem.

Not $600 worth of parts IMO
NET1hGGK55GICekB-622x1024.jpg

Nothing original there, not one bit..........I bet an MR3 spool would fit right in there hahaha. Where is the creativity??.....oh wait they made the round holes slots.....sweet.....

Maybe I'm lost on this issue, but I just finished my 3rd season with my Islander MR3 and just love it. No reel creep (never fish more then 200ft) Been a great reel. Yesterday I just ordered the matching color but MR2 since I plan to start jigging more and like not having to switch reels over or pack more rod n reels. After reading this thread and all the other options it still sounds like Islander is still the best right now.

I think the fly reels went under forged reels or something.. I looked at the fly reels and they look good and are priced right. Don't know why the moocher is so expense? They are rumoured to be coming out with a centre-pin also. Knock offs.. Is that like saying most reels fly or moochers are knock offs of old Hardys and other old reel companies. If anybody can do better put your money where your mouth is and go out and develop your so called perfect reel..

So much market up on fishing products in today's market. A friend and me had some cnc mooching reels (samples) made by a company in China, and it was dirt cheap. No design needed, although we could have gotten more creative. Check out BTI Sports if you want to see some of their products. Quality is not on par with islander, but it matches many other reel companies out there. Wouldn't be surprised if this is where Coast, Trophy, Rapala, Amundson, and the likes are made.

Please keep in mind this a a prototype that I completed on all manual equipment. I did not port anything as it was just a proof of concept reel to prove that the new drag and bearing arrangement would work. The reel has a clicker in but silent when drag is pulled, it would be very easy to make it click on the way out. My next unit would include a freespool and some other changes but in its current for it worked quite well. NO drag creep on this one......

Attachments

• 2013-12-12_18-59-09_794.jpg
    2013-12-12_18-59-09_794.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 339
  • 2013-12-12_18-59-17_389.jpg
    2013-12-12_18-59-17_389.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 2013-12-12_18-59-35_253.jpg
    2013-12-12_18-59-35_253.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 359
  • 2013-12-12_19-00-00_976.jpg
    2013-12-12_19-00-00_976.jpg