mooching reel review?

Looks good Mike, I notice the drag is on the backside like most of the fly reels.
I take it you like it that side better.
no clicker out to reduce seal attacks ?

I really liked the drag on the back as I sometimes like to adjust the drag while a fish was running. It was also easier to seal the reel up from water intrusion. This was a fourth year engineering project so there were some time constraints on the project so some items like freespool and outgoing clicker needed to be dropped from the scope. The carbon fiber drag upgrade was super great along with proper bearings to support the axial load created by the drag knob. I made my own handles for the reel but they just weren't that great so the reel does have islander handles on it. In my mind it clearly is not the best reel but it was a great platform to prove some of ideas on.

I can appreciate the amount of time and effort gone into the design.
Just for fun, if you were to put this reel into production have you any idea
what kind of price you would sell at ?

It needs some more work but I am sure it could be produced, the big problem is the cost of the bearings. Two units that take the axial loading are 90$ each. I am sure that if purchased in larger quantity's the price would go down but thats the killer. I would hope it would come in around the price of an mr3 but who knows really. Also this reel is about the size of an mr2 and I would like to go to a larger arbor design similar to the mr3.

I have not, loots pretty interesting. I like the idea of keeping my manufacturing in Canada though and realistically I have no intentions of taking this any further. I am pretty sure I could retrofit and islander with a better drag and bearings.....

What is this site.....? Can you order single items directly from them? If so why can't I see any pricing?
It's a company that does custom jobs there are a number I've heard of in Taiwan as well.

They have the software and the machines show them what you want and they give you a quote down to whether or not you want screw holes greased for instance-whatever your needs they can produce it for a price thus the number of knockoffs we see around.

Like all such operations I'm sure they have a minimum.

Nothing original there, not one bit..........I bet an MR3 spool would fit right in there hahaha. Where is the creativity??.....oh wait they made the round holes slots.....sweet.....

My thoughts exactly, really enjoying this mooching reel review and I am not sayin it is not a sweet reel but like Mikep I find it a little lackluster to say the least. Nice copy, don't care how much CNC work it took at that price most of us are going a little further down the hiway for an Islander. to me it looks like the front of an Islander with the back of a Trophy.

was referring to the Coast reel, not Mikep's creation, yours looks pretty slick with a serious disk drag that looks to have some stopping power.:cool:

I like my longstone. :)

Simple operation, it free spools for jigging if I want, makes big noise when a smiley's rippin' line, if I want. can be quiet when playing fish, if I want.

I don't put backing on it, I just spool it up with maxima and enjoy. No line creep, no oiling cork drags... Simple. No fuss, no muss, beautiful. ;)

What is this site Dave? Can you order single items directly from them? If so why can't I see any pricing?

They are a reel manufacturer in China. They are looking for large orders but will do small runs for samples or will sell you items from their stock. We order 3 mooching reels from them in and it was cheap. You don't see pricing until you register and contact them about which you are interested in.

Aw snap
your right I stopped paying attention for a bit :( my bad

At $600 I would rather get an MR3 at gone fishin ladies night $450

Allen reels

Thanks for the report,RS. I'm seriously concidering buying one here soon.They look to be a solid reel,and you can't beat
the price!

Time will tell, I've used it 3 times and so far it's been great.
the arbour is a good 3/4 inch wider than a Shimano 4000 GT,
The reel is light at 8.5oz, the drag is fantastic no creep in the downrigger.

That's a HUGE arbour! And I really like the idea of no line creep. Great reviews online as well. I guess it's time to bite
the bullet and grab one. I wish I knew if their 50% off sale was coming up soon.

Back