mooching reel review?

Oh and fish whisperer its not all just marketing hype, I guess you still have rabbit ears on your TV and take pictures with 35mm film hehehe. Technology changes, things advance and heck yes mono will get the job done but man it sure does stretch and needs to be replaced often!

...excuse me?? Did I miss some technology change somewhere mikep? Are you teaching me something?

The only reason I put 100 yds of backing on is to save the mono as I dont need 1500+ ft of mono on the reel waste of money... as the inner part NEVER gets used.
I change out my line every month during the summer so 250 yds is MORE than enough (for sooke) or any other place you fish only 30 to 90 ft down. they can only run so far down and if you take the drag off and "LET ER GO" well of course its going to run all out LOL... in all the 25 years of guiding NEVER had a fish spool me thats why these days the drags are so awesome fish are not that strong to burn out 1500ft of line for one we fish in less than 100 ft for the most part .

Even with a seal on the end most people turn the boat and chase after him look the next time your "sealed" and how much line is out bet you wont even see the backing and thats with a fish and a 400lb + filthy mammal on the end of it!!!!

Try catching a large halibut that just so happens to want to be in the deepest trough around. We knew it was over when we were right over top of it with no line left on the reel.

geez 40lb main line? give the poor fish a chance! I like a little bit of backing and 25lb test maxima, no need for anything more IMO.

^ +1 Even in the Charlottes, only ever used 25 lbs. It's called 'fishing', not 'catching' right? Well, I do it for the challenge and rush - not that other things can't happen, which I can understand, IE: Leader lb-test, hooks pulling etc. A lot can go wrong, an much more commonly than a snapped mainline...

not to derail but have any of you guys actually been spooled on any mooching reel?

Yes... Combination of not quite a full spool of line, fishing deep, in addition to trolling with a heavy current and the fish running the opposite way. Having an Albertan on the reel to start probably didn't help either.

By the time we were turning the boat around it was too late.

not to derail but have any of you guys actually been spooled on any mooching reel?

Yes.. by a porpoise! I was letting a 7" tomic out on the surface - Porpoise grabbed it and peeled 300 yds of braid, 300 yds of 30lb mono and 50 yds of dacron faster than I could chase!
It went straight at the school it was travelling with - then let go when it got to the school. I think it was 'playing' with the hollow thing? never had a hook in it's mouth the whole time. Got everything back!

Stories of how mono is too stretchy, shrinks, weak knots, etc, etc is propagated directly by the marketing armies hired to promote braided line. It seemed to work fine for eons.
Don't get me wrong, I like braided line but, it's not the be-all end-all to fishing line.

First off I wasn't trying to sling any mud at you just kinda joking around. I am sure you do embrace and use new items coming to the market because lets face it many things have been perfected over time.

The quote above is what I don't agree with as you make it sound like the shortcomings of mono really aren't shortcomings.

Mono is very stretchy 30-40% stretch to be exact which is a lot more than 1-2% for braid. This is not propaganda this is fact, and also what keeps braid from killing light weight reels or getting spongy hook sets in 200 feet of water.

Mono does shrink, while it is in the water mono absorbs water and swells. When you load the line onto a reel and then store the reel somewhere dry the line will dry out and shrink again crushing reel spools.

As far as braid killing guides, how many rods these days come without guides with some form of ceramic insert in them. Back when braid first made its appearance on the market many manufacturers used Kevlar in the composition which was hard on chrome guides, causing the little grooves. Now most of these lines are made from High density polyethylene fibers (HDPE) which are incredibly slick and non abrasive. So advancements in both rod technology and braid technology have put the groove problem to rest.

As you have noted braid does have a much longer life span than mono as it is not effected by UV rays from the sun.

The Pro's for mono can be summed up pretty quickly:

One area where mono does shine is knot strength as mono is much more forgiving to poorly tied knots.

Mono does stretch so you can be forgiven for your sins of reel handle holding when fighting a fish as it gives you a little more time to react.

Mono can be manufactured in low vis or clear for spooky fish.

MONO IS CHEAP

When you combine both mono and braid with a small top shot of 30-50 feet you really get the best of both worlds. You get a little stretch and good knot strength from the mono plus low vis but you also get the long term durability of braid and great hook sets at 200'.

When you run a long top shot of like 100' or more you really don't gain the advantage of braid, might as well just use cheap Dacron as it won't be leaving the reel often.

"Mono does shrink, while it is in the water mono absorbs water and swells. When you load the line onto a reel and then store the reel somewhere dry the line will dry out and shrink again crushing reel spools."

I don't understand how the line shrinking (i.e. getting smaller) when it dries on the spool will crush a spool. That does not seem to make sense, since the line will get smaller and therefore pressure will be reduced, not increased. In my experience, it is when line is reeled in under great pressure that it will split a spool because of the line subsequently expanding to release the pressure. I'm not sure moisture has anything to do with it.

Can you explain?

Cliff Clavin.jpg .

First off I wasn't trying to sling any mud at you just kinda joking around. I am sure you do embrace and use new items coming to the market because lets face it many things have been perfected over time.

The quote above is what I don't agree with as you make it sound like the shortcomings of mono really aren't shortcomings.

Mono is very stretchy 30-40% stretch to be exact which is a lot more than 1-2% for braid. This is not propaganda this is fact, and also what keeps braid from killing light weight reels or getting spongy hook sets in 200 feet of water.

Mono does shrink, while it is in the water mono absorbs water and swells. When you load the line onto a reel and then store the reel somewhere dry the line will dry out and shrink again crushing reel spools.

As far as braid killing guides, how many rods these days come without guides with some form of ceramic insert in them. Back when braid first made its appearance on the market many manufacturers used Kevlar in the composition which was hard on chrome guides, causing the little grooves. Now most of these lines are made from High density polyethylene fibers (HDPE) which are incredibly slick and non abrasive. So advancements in both rod technology and braid technology have put the groove problem to rest.

As you have noted braid does have a much longer life span than mono as it is not effected by UV rays from the sun.

The Pro's for mono can be summed up pretty quickly:

One area where mono does shine is knot strength as mono is much more forgiving to poorly tied knots.

Mono does stretch so you can be forgiven for your sins of reel handle holding when fighting a fish as it gives you a little more time to react.

Mono can be manufactured in low vis or clear for spooky fish.

MONO IS CHEAP

When you combine both mono and braid with a small top shot of 30-50 feet you really get the best of both worlds. You get a little stretch and good knot strength from the mono plus low vis but you also get the long term durability of braid and great hook sets at 200'.

When you run a long top shot of like 100' or more you really don't gain the advantage of braid, might as well just use cheap Dacron as it won't be leaving the reel often.

Remember it does not just swell in diameter it swells in all directions including length. When you load a line that has swelled onto a reel when it dries it shrinks down onto the spool just like heat shrink when heat is applied. This will create a compressive force on the reel spool and as many reel spools taper toward the center you have basically loaded a wedge of mono onto your reel. These are really only problems that light weight reels have as most mooching reels have been designed to withstand being loaded full of mono and force it develops.

If anyone wants to see the kind of force exerted by mono find some old light # test-6 or 8 or even less-and wrap it around your hand lightly and keep wrapping and wrapping and wrapping still lightly you'll feel the force of the wraps compressing your fingers and then whole hand-very educational and Yes I've done it.

Here is an example of the results of that "force" mentioned by Dog B. A Shimano 4000GT ..... 3 of my older 4000's ended up this way. All had backing (filling the narrower inside bottom of the spool). I question that spool breakage is due to line shrinkage as usually this type of force break is due to expansion outward similar to water trapped in a pipe, freezing and expanding and cracking the pipe . I suspect the spool breaks due to wet line swelling all the way into the spool and eventually expanding too much or too often and cracking the spool outward

IMG_4806res.jpg

Back