mooching reel review?

When you say no line creep fishing deep - do you back the drag off when you hook a fish? Or you can set the drag light and it still doesn't creep?

Those fly reels look very interesting... Good price point look like a nice, simple design and quality. As long as they don't creep on a rigger!!! Wonder how well they take the load and torque of a heavier fish though... Might have to give one a go next year!

When you say no line creep fishing deep - do you back the drag off when you hook a fish? Or you can set the drag light and it still doesn't creep?

I just set the drag to a medium setting (the adjustment clicks into place)
you can easliy pull line off the reel by hand, but it doesn't creep.
A hit and run fish would have no problem taking line before you got the rod out of the holder.

I just set the drag to a medium setting (the adjustment clicks into place)
you can easliy pull line off the reel by hand, but it doesn't creep.
A hit and run fish would have no problem taking line before you got the rod out of the holder.

Do you load up the rod the same as you would on the shimanos?

Just picked up my second Islander today. I went with the MR2 this time because of the free spool!

Islander.jpg
photo.JPG

That's a great idea. Next year.

The other one is a MR3 and it's green as well. I'm boring

Make sure you register with them first, you will get 20% off your first order.:)
Registered months ago and didn't see any 20% off first order offer,so I emailed the owner Justin and he sent me the code. Very good service,as he got back to me within hours of me sending it.

Well, I should have paid more attention to the advice about using mono....
blew up the spool today, just too much contraction I guess..
I'll order another spool and go with braid and a mono top shot.

Just a warning for those considering these reels.

Merry Christmas all !

That sucks...... :)

I'd call them and talk to them. I was told that mono would be fine. Maybe they will give you a replacement.

Merry Christmas

Ill stick to mono and 100 yds of backing never had issues ....

should have......
I too learned the HARD way many many years ago but hey ive only been doing this for a year or so lol lol i dont know nothing.....

That sucks...... :)

I'd call them and talk to them. I was told that mono would be fine. Maybe they will give you a replacement.

Merry Christmas

I was told the same thing, mono wouldn't be a problem, I agree talk to them I wouldn't doubt they will help you out some way, they have a great rep for warranty and from what I have dealt with them seem to be pretty stand up guys..

sorry to hear craven, thanks for the heads up

should have......
I too learned the HARD way many many years ago but hey ive only been doing this for a year or so lol lol i dont know nothing.....

I had the 150 yds of backing , didn't help
only a heads up for others considering the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I should have paid more attention to the advice about using mono....
blew up the spool today, just too much contraction I guess..
I'll order another spool and go with braid and a mono top shot.

Just a warning for those considering these reels.

Merry Christmas all !
Sorry to here about that R.S. Amazing it still happened with that much backing. Still want to give the Allen a go. I'll
just load it up with 30-40 lb. braid and go with a 50-100 ft. mono top shot like mikep suggested. Should do the trick!

WOW that really sucks id be leery of that reel then.. still say the trophy has been good to me got 4 of them and since putting paddles on them love em and trust me they get used and abused....

I still have the originals from 6 years ago still on the boat, ill be honest best reel ive used tried them all didnt like the first ones that are small like the mr2 to slow recovery especially if its not full to the nuts.

Th QR completely different oh and a free spool option as it seems thats what everyone wants?? I personally never use that feature. AND NO dont want a left handled reel its been tradition to reel right handed from the ol days of the peetz its called "sport fishing" for a reason....learn the traditional ways... LOL LOL after a while you get used to it..........

Like I said I converted them all to paddle handles makes a HUGE improvement, you have to put oil on the cork about every month or so saturate it then wipe it around and then wipe it off if (VERY IMPORTANT) just like all the others you get a "chunky" drag but if you wipe it off smooth as hell,with the heavy use I use them at they still look and work GREAT. for the big banks and really deep sea fishing I wouldn't recommend them. as that gear on the big banks etc get really beat up stick with the shimano 4000 and beat em up , if you fish shallow 30 to 100 ft then its no problem (sooke/Vic) fishing

Its like everything else if you dont maintain and look after them any reel will fail and break down just like the boats you have to look after your stuff,
after EVERY trip i spray the whole boat clean of the salt and the reels and let them air dry while I clean the fish its the first thing I do getting off the boat

Goodstuff.., was planning on buying a trophy QR but the my girlfriend bought me an Mr3,will have to give that a try before deciding if i want another one to match.

I still have the originals from 6 years ago still on the boat, ill be honest best reel ive used tried them all didnt like the first ones that are small like the mr2 to slow recovery especially if its not full to the nuts.

Th QR completely different oh and a free spool option as it seems thats what everyone wants?? I personally never use that feature. AND NO dont want a left handled reel its been tradition to reel right handed from the ol days of the peetz its called "sport fishing" for a reason....learn the traditional ways... LOL LOL after a while you get used to it..........

Like I said I converted them all to paddle handles makes a HUGE improvement, you have to put oil on the cork about every month or so saturate it then wipe it around and then wipe it off if (VERY IMPORTANT) just like all the others you get a "chunky" drag but if you wipe it off smooth as hell,with the heavy use I use them at they still look and work GREAT. for the big banks and really deep sea fishing I wouldn't recommend them. as that gear on the big banks etc get really beat up stick with the shimano 4000 and beat em up , if you fish shallow 30 to 100 ft then its no problem (sooke/Vic) fishing

Its like everything else if you dont maintain and look after them any reel will fail and break down just like the boats you have to look after your stuff,
after EVERY trip i spray the whole boat clean of the salt and the reels and let them air dry while I clean the fish its the first thing I do getting off the boat

ya i was looking at the blue QR in habour chandler a few days ago and they feel super smoth and spin really nicely. im building up a setup for trolling so im looking for a nice some wat good priced mooching reel:)

Back