mooching real drag problem

mdub

I'm having a problem with my drag on my mooching reel. When the drags is set and line is being pulled out the drag knob is loosening off as the reel spins out. Wondering if anyone has had this happen and knows how to fix it. Using Amundson reels that are only a year old.

I would contact Amundson directly.....they are also located in Delta. Different reels although relatively similar in design have their own quirky issues.

How much is it loosening off? To the point the drag knob is coming right off or just your drag is loosening right off?

The knob isn't coming off it just slips a little so I could just palm it if it happens but if it loosened anymore then it might just go into a free spool and tangle within itself. I emailed amundson. I have a few other reels still working so I'll use those tomorrow.

Sometimes it slips more then other times so I'm worried about it on Some of those big Springs out there right now

I have only seen the guts of these reels once but have you got the washers in place by the drag spring properly? I seem to recall having to disect one fishing last winter there is to be a washer on either side of the drag spring? The one on the inside will be buried down in that 'housing' and then one on the outside.

Not sure it could be the problem with maybe some slipping but is the cork on the reel dry or have you oiled/lubed it?

BTW.....is it the TMX4 or whatever that model was called?

Last edited by a moderator:
The washers and spring are in place. I will try oiling it. The reels I have are the msr05 model. I'll let u know if oiling it helps. Thanks for the advice.

Ya.....haven't seen the inside of that one and don't see on Amundson's site any troubleshooting links etc about it like you do see on Islander.

Not sure if you're used to these type of reels but just a couple of drops from something like Superlube worked into the cork and be sure to wipe off excess.

If that doesn't work...best to just give em' a call. 604-525-6860. Different company but when I had an issue with one of my Trophy's I just called RedL sports and was very happy with the service; got someone on the phone right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only seen the guts of these reels once but have you got the washers in place by the drag spring properly? I seem to recall having to disect one fishing last winter there is to be a washer on either side of the drag spring? The one on the inside will be buried down in that 'housing' and then one on the outside.

Not sure it could be the problem with maybe some slipping but is the cork on the reel dry or have you oiled/lubed it?

BTW.....is it the TMX4 or whatever that model was called?

Problem solved. The 2 washers got mixed up and we had to switch them back. My dad had taken apart the reel a week ago to fix the clicker that had fallen out. Thanks for the help Pippen!

Back