Drag adds pressure when reeling?

Viccityfishboy

Hey there, so im just getting into downrigger fishing and just picked up some used mooching reels. Theyre both diawa, but one looks considerably newer. On the newer one the drag works like any other reel I’ve encountered, it applies pressure to line being pulled off the spool but not when reeling in. The other reel applies the same amount of pressure to both, is that normal with old mooching reels or is it broken or missing something? The old one says daiwa SG375 graphite

What you have is a true single action reel. Most of the newer reels have a one way drag so you arent reeling against the drag pressure.

CR Greg

Learn to use the older one. Far more fun to fight a fish because you must let the drag off completely, then it's all up to your palming.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^. THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Learn to use a direct-action reel (the more preferable ones have an exposed rim so your palm or finger becomes the drag) and you’ll put more fish in the boat

The only reason I use any kind of “drag” is to stop line-creep when the rod tip is loaded and the rod is in the DR holster....once you get a take-down, that drag is off and it’s in free-spool mode with your finger or palm controlling the fish

I’ve been using my own approach to stopping line-creep on all my single-action salt chuck reels: I zip-tie a loop of surgical tubing onto the butt of my rod then loop the tubing over the reel handle. When you get a take-down you flip the loop off the handle and you’re off to the races

Way quicker then screwing around with a drag system —-backing off on pressure with your palm or finger when the fish is in close to the boat is WAY more precise then screwing around with a drag
F7F9FCC7-2805-48F2-B100-0BAD323EF0DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Not sure if ill get a new one or just use the drag when im trolling and palm the fish, the drag knob seems to like to come loose and fall off but plaming them would be super fun

Run two rods, keep using that true single action reel and practice palming, snag a Shimano GT2000 or 4000 for cheap on facebook or usedvic for the other one. They are fairly low maintenance, mine have been bulletproof and I always have at least one on the boat.

Back