Momemtum is Building on Chinook Closure Opposition!

I don't care how people twist or what they say about any Gov and what they did or did not do. I do not think there are any more salmon in the rivers or ocean with current Gov than the past Gov, so all arguments over who did what in what year are moot points. What I DO know is that I had more opportunity with the last Gov than I have with current Gov. Arguing conservation is moot as who believes we are NOT fishing for any conservation or whale matter?? Same as our manage to TAC hali, pure BS. What's next? An Oct vote to hopefully reallocate me to keep a US fish again?

HM

This closure by Minister Wilkinson has set a very dangerous precedents. It hit the South Coast this year. Next year it could be the North Coast, possibly even Haida Gwaii. We need to continue to pressure this government and make sure the government that forms power after the election, knows that nobody's going to tolerate this type of politics!

Let's keep the pressure on! It helps draw attention to this mismanagement and makes it an election issue with the general public! Hopefully we can also get some changes in season, inside sources are saying the pressure is definitely being felt!
Keep in mind when we loose something, we never ever get it back. Halibut for example, when I started fishing here 20 years ago it was 2 a day and 3 in possession. Look what we have now....slot sizes etc.

Really because my DFO retired biologist friend who was incharge of approvals was taken to court by a developer when the department took to long to approve a project but hey he was just trying to stop a developer from building over a coho bearing stream.

So yeah development projects were being delay or completely stopped to protect the environment.

Also FYI when did I ever say it was justifiable or I agreed with it. I think it was some of the most destructive policy ever done.

A project not proceeding because it doesn’t comply with legislation or regulations (such as building a house in a stream) is not the same as “red tape” bureaucracy that unnecessarily delays a development and it appears you know that. I Stand by my statement - no shortage of rhetoric around this issue of environmental “red tape” but never been a substantiated example where Fisheries Act regulation was the cause of an unnecessary delay. Not infrequent at all that industry or developers waste a ton of time trying to work around the rules and regulations, which they were fully aware of from the get go, and then trying to blame “red tape” when not successful in lobbying for unjustified exemptions. I take no issue with industry or individuals trying to “work” the system, just don’t lie about the cause for delays or extended timelines afterwards - own them!

Cheers!

Ukee

I think it is unfortunate that a few posters wish to view responsible stewardship and good governance through the lens of party affiliation where the poster asserts that because of purported "business sense" by any one party - that somehow magically translates into caring for wild salmon, somehow. As far as I am concerned - many industry pundits see wild salmon as getting in the way of them earning as much $ as possible - and they use their $ and influence to lobby key people in government in order to weaken environmental laws. This is not good governance nor democracy nor caring for wild salmon - it is corruption.

The truth is all the parties which have been in power since confederation - both Provincially and federally - have had many examples of both poor governance and what I would define as corruption. No party is exempt - and parties and their PR firms play people into the us-verses-them mentality around parties - so that party supporters overlook good governance and accountability that should accompany democratic involvement. Look at what happened lately over the SNC Lavalin affair - and before that the Sponsorship Scandal with the federal Liberals.

The Conservatives have been no better - from the Pacific Railway debacle w John A. MacDonald to tunagate to airbus - and most recently dismantling the Fisheries Act, the Ports Act, the Navigable Waters Act, the Environmental Assessment Act (to name abut a few) through undemocratic omnibus bills. Lets also not forget that the Conservatives pulled DFO out of PNCIMA after Enbridge pulled Harper's chain - and the Conservatives pulled HRSEP federally after they got in - while the BC so-called Liberals pulled Fisheries Renewal when they got in. And look at what happened w Mount Polley with the BC Liberals, too. None of these actions can be seen as helping wild salmon, IMHO.

A brief list of scandals can be found at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_Canada

The Liberals do appear to be protecting salmon from sports fishermen and are unwilling to budge from that position. So what choice are we really left with AA? Do you think what the Liberals are doing right now shutting down Chinook fishing everywhere on the south coast is justified?

Last edited:
That is complete and utter ********! Not even close to the facts. Well documented the cuts and legislative changes were planned well in advance of world events and persisted well after and Harper’s epic fail in implementing any capital projects of any magnitude or import relative to the dollars spent and time to implement. Also not a single substantiated case of Fisheries environmental red tape ever holding up a project - it’s been purported many times over many decades and refuted every time. Conservatives are reduced to parroting the old trope of DFO scaring farmers from crossing their ditches, which was as ridiculous then as it is now. There are some things that Harper govt did that you may feel we’re justifiable but this ain’t one!

Cheers!

Ukee
TOTALLY Ukee! And if you look at the watersheds that Harper kept in the Navigable Waters Act - they were all in key Conservative ridings - the rest were sacrificed. So many examples of how bad the Harper government was for fish.

It's called democracy WMY - not party affiliation. We should follow Nunavut's example of no parties:
https://www.gov.nu.ca/consensus-government
You have to be careful Nunavut is very dissimilar to any Southern Province. If BC were to follow their example I suspect the urban rural divide would be more pronounced. I’m not sure the rest of BC wants to be governed by a coalition of Vancouver residents.

Nunavut is very dissimilar because they have no parties. The rest is the same. It is another form of a constitutional monarchy - just not Westminster-style. Parties coming or going will not change number of ridings nor number representatives. Your not trying to tell me that we aren't already "governed by a coalition of Vancouver residents" - are ya??? ;) ok - guess we should get back to those Chinook closures...

Last edited:
Well the unsustainable logging will be curtailed naturally as mills are closing and cutting back production in the Interior big time. They site market conditions however.

The mills are closing because they've finally caught up on the pine beetle killed lumber. The lumber prices are actually quite good right now. If you remember capacity was increased to mill the beetle kill before it was garbage, they're just cutting it back down.

Nunavut is very dissimilar because they have no parties. The rest is the same. It is another form of a constitutional monarchy - just not Westminster-style. Parties coming or going will not change number of ridings nor number representatives. Your not trying to tell me that we aren't already "governed by a coalition of Vancouver residents" - are ya??? ;) ok - guess we should get back to those Chinook closures...
The benefit of a Party system is that it tends to moderate views and force individual politicians to look at the big picture as opposed to more extreme personal views. If you look at any of our major Parties they have candidates more to the right, to the left and down the middle of their Parties platform. For example Liberals can be far left enough to be borderline NDP or far right enough to be borderline Conservative or right down the middle. The Party caucus usually contains members from all facets of the party and usually tries to seek regional diversity. The Fisheries Minister is a prime example. BC needed a seat somewhere at the table.
The Party system also requires policies broad based enough to try and appease enough of the population throughout all the ridings to get the Party elected. Individual politicians with no party affiliation have no reason to care about the larger picture and only about their neighbourhoods demands.

Back to fishing!

Last edited:
It's national Indigenous peoples day and Wilkinson has promised to restore and repair
relations with respect to Fisheries and Oceans.

The Liberals are making everything more costly and destroying our lifestyles and in some cases livelihoods. Fuel is getting ridiculous, food, heating costs etc. Recreational fishing has been decimated, what's next ? I just hope we can get rid of them in October.

Bottom line the Supreme Court of Canada have ruled that natives have the legal right to fish and hunt anywhere anytime and legally sell fish. That is the law, no matter what government is in power. You can NEVER CHANGE THAT.

You are correct on FN will be only ones fishing/hunting in Canada and in my life time I believe. But never say never. When they have used it all and nothing is left then what? That will happen as it has all of history. Still leave sport fishers/hunters without. A new Canada has been forced on us by the UN and Trudeau. Usually the pendulum swings back harder than it went forward. I hope.

HM

The Liberals are making everything more costly and destroying our lifestyles and in some cases livelihoods. Fuel is getting ridiculous, food, heating costs etc. Recreational fishing has been decimated, what's next ? I just hope we can get rid of them in October.

Nothing against pot smoking high school drama teachers, but if it was up to me I wouldn't hire one who grew up with a silver spoon shoved up his arse to run a country....

Fuel is crazy only in BC everyone else in the country that isnt on the coast or interior gets a break through these BS circumstances , Along with Insurance and like you stated the food etc, BRING CASH seems to be the truth about BC nowadays.

As for the high gas costs, ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH HORGAN screwing/delaying the gas companies in court and Trans mountain. Just ask him. But he did/will form a committee to investigate. Want to bet on his buddies report/outcome of that investigation???? Mirror BS.

HM

Back