Momemtum is Building on Chinook Closure Opposition!

cohochinook

There has been a lot of activity in the background since Chinook Salmon Closure Protest on May 1st. The pressure is continuing to build on Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson for a Chinook Salmon retention of at least 1 hatchery Chinook/day. There was a face to face meeting with small group involved with the Protest on May 22nd with Minister Wilkinson and subsequent meeting with Senior DFO staff after that. Requests have been made for a hatchery retention of chinook and more on action on recovery plan for Early Fraser Chinook stocks of concern. Two proposals have been presented to Minister Wilkinson.

The pressure that we have been putting is starting to really be felt and we need amp things up! There is 2 active Facebook posts following a meeting with Liberal MP Ken Hardie this past week. Please feel free to jump in with comments. Please keep it respectful and on point:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2487743051269989&id=100001029547375

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2491489250895369&id=100001029547375

If you not on Facebook please pick up the phone and call MP Ken Hardie or stop by his office to voice your concerns:

ken.hardie@parl.gc.ca
180 Wellington, Suite 534
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6

Constituency Office
16088 - 84th Avenue, Suite 301
Surrey, British Columbia
V4N 0V9

Last edited:
Wow In the last 18 years only 1 cwt was recovered from from an early Fraser river stock in area 29 and they shut down the fishery.

Just confirms what everyone knew already what a joke. Wonder what the data shows for area 17 and area 28 probably none.

Christ

Wow In the last 18 years only 1 cwt was recovered from from an early Fraser river stock in area 29 and they shut down the fishery.

Just confirms what everyone knew already what a joke. Wonder what the data shows for area 17 and area 28 probably none.

Christ

The Explotation Rates for this years management decisions for Fraser River Chinook were based on DFO CWT data from 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. There was ONLY 1 tag recovered from the Stocks of Concern in this period in Areas 17, 18, 28 and 29. Pressure MP Ken Hardie

He will change it just before & hope everyone in BC votes liberals again.

Come October remember

Thanks for those who jumped in on the Facebook posts. Also thank you to anyone who made a phone call to Ken Hardie office!

Let's keep the pressure on for those who haven't posted or called!

He will change it just before & hope everyone in BC votes liberals again.

Come October remember
This closure by Minister Wilkinson has set a very dangerous precedents. It hit the South Coast this year. Next year it could be the North Coast, possibly even Haida Gwaii. We need to continue to pressure this government and make sure the government that forms power after the election, knows that nobody's going to tolerate this type of politics!

Let's keep the pressure on! It helps draw attention to this mismanagement and makes it an election issue with the general public! Hopefully we can also get some changes in season, inside sources are saying the pressure is definitely being felt!

Another dangerous precedent being set is the complete inaction by DFO on the key causes/issues cited by the minister in his decision to close these fisheries. While the closures were meant to address the fish harvest factor, in addition to ocean survival/productivity the Minister also cited landscape level watershed impacts resulting from the past 10-years of de-regulated logging, agriculture, etc, as well as drought cycles - also attributable to degraded watersheds but also the Provinces mismanagement of our water resource.

We have another perfect storm brewing in the Interior for more fires and drought (very low snowpack, early and fast melt/runoff and thus far a spring with very little precipitation and lots of heat in most of the Interior). All fishers impacted: Commie, FN and Rec, should not continue to accept these closures if the Minister and his Department continue to sit on their hands while unsustainable logging/development continues to degrade the habitat for these endangered stocks and while they do nothing to ensure there’ll even be water in sufficient volumes and temperatures for the few salmon that make it back!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Another dangerous precedent being set is the complete inaction by DFO on the key causes/issues cited by the minister in his decision to close these fisheries. While the closures were meant to address the fish harvest factor, in addition to ocean survival/productivity the Minister also cited landscape level watershed impacts resulting from the past 10-years of de-regulated logging, agriculture, etc, as well as drought cycles - also attributable to degraded watersheds but also the Provinces mismanagement of our water resource.

We have another perfect storm brewing in the Interior for more fires and drought (very low snowpack, early and fast melt/runoff and thus far a spring with very little precipitation and lots of heat in most of the Interior). All fishers impacted: Commie, FN and Rec, should not continue to accept these closures if the Minister and his Department continue to sit on their hands while unsustainable logging/development continues to degrade the habitat for these endangered stocks and while they do nothing to ensure there’ll even be water in sufficient volumes and temperatures for the few salmon that make it back!!!

Cheers!

Ukee
Well the unsustainable logging will be curtailed naturally as mills are closing and cutting back production in the Interior big time. They site market conditions however.

Cheers!

Ukee

You would think the least they could do is try to create some programs that create some jobs that have a direct impact on recoverability. For example, I am sure there would be some interest for people to engage in further enhancement/habitat programs if there was some funding to counteract the job loss. At least some people can be involved in the industry in a different way (and have a chance at making a living) and potentially we get something back out of in the future.

I wish we could do something about the overarching climate change issues. However, I get more and more dejected by the lack of interest by society as each year passes. It is also such a global issue that will be tough to get everyone on the same page.

Not a chance of that here on Vancouver island. Cut fall send to China and the USA. Our mills shut down long ago and the cutting continues just as much as ever. Good job truedope and Horgan! Just raise taxes some more it’ll be sunny days.......

Does anybody really believe that Trudeau, his Gov members, Horgan or his Gov members give a rats butt about the few poor sports fishers who cant fish?? There are lots more votes from the dumbed down Canadians who believe the crap the news feeds them. Their saving the poor starving whales. Only 1 real way to change the attitude, not sure if it will enable us to fish though. That comes in Oct and when Horgan decides.

HM

You are confusing 2 different governments FISHERIES is federal ran has nothing to do with provincial you can debate scream yell, all you want it, I will say though Horgan is the first an only Premier to EVER put money into salmon restoration and did something.
I received a whole years worth of creel survey and after i sifted thru all 6181 entries , im baffled as to why our fishery is actually shut down. There is only one person to blame for all of this and that is the idiot Wilkinson he has successfully killed sport-fishing on our coast of Vancouver island.

You are confusing 2 different governments FISHERIES is federal ran has nothing to do with provincial you can debate scream yell, all you want it, I will say though Horgan is the first an only Premier to EVER put money into salmon restoration and did something.
I received a whole years worth of creel survey and after i sifted thru all 6181 entries , im baffled as to why our fishery is actually shut down. There is only one person to blame for all of this and that is the idiot Wilkinson he has successfully killed sport-fishing on our coast of Vancouver island.
Agree with you on Wilkinson’s poor decision and the politics that drive DFO’s policies and decisions. Don’t expect this to be an election topic as this is not a broader concern for the general public.

Things aren’t much better for us on the mainland. We’ve got nothing to fish for while the best Chinook run of decades is passing by our neighborhood.

Last edited:
I understand the 2 levels of Gov and their responsibilities when it comes to fisheries. Not sure if I agree completely with Wolf, Yes Horgan has SAID he will put money into restoration I am unsure if any money has made it there yet. I will say Horgan was silent like crickets when his Province was being screwed over based on emotion and not science, but then he manages by emotion, (his words). I cant imagine being silent as the Premier when such a devastating announcement was made. Wolf you have nailed lots of outcomes with your predictions, I predict current Fed/Provincial Gov have and will give away more of what we love than previous ones. Please let me be wrong for our kids and our passions sake.

HM

He has committed to 42.85 million ,
All I have to say working in this industry for over 33 years I see whats going on thats all and people still want to bury the heads in sand . I base what i feel on facts and fact is we are shut but since all of this 41 net openings have happend on the fraser ...how is that fair???

FN made an agreement in principle to stop fishing the river, except for ceremonial, but "ONLY IF NOT A SINGLE FISH WAS CAUGHT BY WHITEY". I can't stand Wilkinson's decision but this is what he was faced with. There was no other reason for his decision. Bitching and moaning about this isn't going to solve anything. New government isn't going to solve anything because NOBODY will do ANYTHING that will be considered bad press on the FN front. Even admitting that is why they did it would be a **** storm. You're all wasting your breath. My suggestion is we all go and start dialogue with any friends you have in the FN community and tell them your story. Make friends. Make allies. They are the ones that run the show. Some of them, not all, truly believe ALL SALMON are "their fish". The only way forward is a friendly dialogue with the them. Period. End of story. Stop wasting your time. Go buy a peace pipe.

My guess is Barkley sound is next on the chopping block. The FN literally have a hiab crane and a 5 ton truck at the boat ramp craning totes of sockeye out of the river into a reefer truck. They have been netting every single day that I have driven by the Somass since May 1. The second the FSC fishing turned into full blown commercial fishing it was over for us.

Back