Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson on CKNW defends South Coast Chinook Closure

cohochinook

Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson was interviewed on Jill Bennett radio show on CKNW defends South Coast Chinook Closure. If you click on the link below you will hear the interview with Wilkinson. Enter the 7 AM time:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-v...aOSpgaoNME543CUsKXnVCCGCWXcmKGRc-hRUr8A_nPw2c

At 8:30 AM some anglers including myself called into the show on Open Line segment. Enter 8 on the time and fast forward to 8:35 AM to play it.

Last edited:
I never considered myself technically challenged until now. I seem to only be able to get global news on your link.
Never mind, got it. Thanks

Well that was extremely predictable and disappointing! The man flat out lied about Fraser FSC openings. Repeatedly at that.

I commend Jill for pushing as hard as she did to get honest answers. Unfortunately the minister was able to skirt the real issues that the public needs to hear.

I really wish these things could be done in a different way. They should have a well spoken knowledgeable public fishery rep included with the opportunity to challenge the minister , in real time, on his lies and dismissal of data that contradicts his answers.
Let’s hear his answers when forced to answer off the cuff and in the face of very direct questions.

Finally the caller that went on about who made the mess and who should pay, is one more example of the well intended, uneducated, opinion based responses that stand in the way of getting the necessary work done!!!!

Last edited:
Hmm I think his butt is jealous of the **** coming out of his mouth....... unbelievable..... this guy amazes me every time I hear him speak , the lies and misleading info gets bigger and bigger. October can’t come fast enough for me
Unfortunately, that speaks to the sad state of affairs when looking at the current Canadian politics. Bunch of incompetent puppets become party leaders, MPs, ministers, advisors, etc. And that’s across the board with all the provincial and federal levels. Come October, I don’t feel any of these clowns will deserve my vote.

Certainly an interesting listen. More frustrating than anything because we already know that the closures were based on threats from FN and not on science. A Conservative Government would have simply left it open and then what? Sporty would have taken his normal catch which is less than 1% of Fraser Chinook but what would FN have done in response? Conservatives would have done what with respect to FN Openings on the Fraser? We already know what the Liberals have decided! Was FN aware of the Recreational catch data? Did they know before the threats to dfo to go full tilt with their netting fraser Chinook if the rec sector stayed open? Do we have that answer? Did they know? Are they a partner with us going forward or is their goal less of a partnership and more aimed at sole proprietorship? There is no future for our salmon unless this gets resolved. I do have one observation that’s a bit alarmist. If the tactic used was to intimidate or scare the Liberals into submission it worked! They squashed businesses and livelihoods with no notice and no financial bailouts for lost revenues. So why wouldn’t FN use the same tactic on the Skeena, on the Campbell River, on the Cowichan river, Kitimat , Kitsumkalum, Nass ? Our Government needs to have an answer for this question very very soon because I suspect we haven’t seen the last of this strategy by FN. why stop what’s clearly working for you? China is using a similar strategy on The Liberals and we’re studying the issue. Trump wants a new NAFTA or he’ll take his ball and go home. See a pattern here?

Its time these politicians start getting jail time for all the lies, scandals, and stealing they have done..... nothing but leeches on society looking out for their own best interests and a paycheck. Blows my mind how he is getting away with this.....

Outright lies about the gill net openings. Our reps need to nail
him on this and install major doubt in the publics mind about what DFO says.

Guys a liar and was caught! He and his department are no longer relevant.

Under our current system all you can do is vote the current guy out even if the new guy is no better. They need at least two terms in office to get a Gold Plated Publicly Paid Pension so at this point we can at least put a stop to that and perhaps make others take note. They are all trained seals clapping in unison to thier leader unless they can realize the constituents are going to kick them out maybe they will sqack at the boss.

What a shame blatant lie's.

I will be sending the minister a email

Great job by Jill Bennett to keep the pressure on him. You could tell by his tone he was frustrated by her questioning for the truth.

Certainly an interesting listen. More frustrating than anything because we already know that the closures were based on threats from FN and not on science. A Conservative Government would have simply left it open and then what? Sporty would have taken his normal catch which is less than 1% of Fraser Chinook but what would FN have done in response? Conservatives would have done what with respect to FN Openings on the Fraser? We already know what the Liberals have decided! Was FN aware of the Recreational catch data? Did they know before the threats to dfo to go full tilt with their netting fraser Chinook if the rec sector stayed open? Do we have that answer? Did they know? Are they a partner with us going forward or is their goal less of a partnership and more aimed at sole proprietorship? There is no future for our salmon unless this gets resolved. I do have one observation that’s a bit alarmist. If the tactic used was to intimidate or scare the Liberals into submission it worked! They squashed businesses and livelihoods with no notice and no financial bailouts for lost revenues. So why wouldn’t FN use the same tactic on the Skeena, on the Campbell River, on the Cowichan river, Kitimat , Kitsumkalum, Nass ? Our Government needs to have an answer for this question very very soon because I suspect we haven’t seen the last of this strategy by FN. why stop what’s clearly working for you? China is using a similar strategy on The Liberals and we’re studying the issue. Trump wants a new NAFTA or he’ll take his ball and go home. See a pattern here?
Better believe I'm voting conservative in October.

Hey guys ,
Send Wilkinson an email, tell him what you think, doesn’t have to be pretty. Guy is like trump tell em lies over and over and they will believe you. Light up his email! Goof!

Back