Missing Boat

Fishing charter eyes beacons

Response to tragedy off Island

By Katie DeRosa, Times Colonist August 12, 2010 1:06 AM

Owners of a fishing charter company in Winter Harbour say they will likely outfit their fleet with emergency locator beacons after four men died during a fishing excursion last week.

"They're not required for every boat but for us, we will definitely have them," said Rob Knutson, who runs the family-owned Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charters and Lodge on the northwest coast of the Island.

He was responding to calls that GPS locators should be mandatory for small vessels, made this week by the family of Port Alberni fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, believed drowned along with the three guests on the boat.

"We'll look into it for sure," Knutson said.

The Qualicum River 9 set out Aug. 2 for a fishing trip in Brooks Bay, but capsized amid gale-force winds and three-metre waves.

Heavy fog hid the grey vessel from search and rescue crews until Saturday. After life-jackets were discovered with the vessel, the search was called off. The coast guard said the search could have taken just a few hours if the vessel had an emergency position-indicating radio beacon.

The devices are required by Transport Canada on vessels larger than eight metres, carrying more than six passengers. But the agency recommends them for all vessels.

Transport Canada will do a "risk audit" on the company's entire fleet, beginning next week, and the Transportation Safety Board is also investigating.

Knutson said the six-metre aluminum vessel was in top working order, with new steering and a new motor installed in June as part of its annual inspection.

The lodge is responsible for inspecting its fleet annually under Transport Canada's Small Vessel Inspection Monitoring Program, which applies to vessels under 15 gross tons that carry fewer then 12 passengers.

Knutson said the lodge sends a report and photos of each vessel to prove they meet safety standards.

WorkSafe B.C. is also investigating the incident, which spokesman Scott McCloy said will likely focus on why the men weren't required by the lodge to wear life-jackets while on the water and why the vessel didn't have a GPS locator.

On the boat with 36-year-old Sturgess were three Americans -- Peter Idlewine, 53, of Brush Prairie, Wash., Gary Evans, 55, of Vancouver, Wash., and Tony Evans, 52, of Portland, Ore.

kderosa@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Fishing+charter+eyes+beacons/3389350/story.html#ixzz0wOQkthuz

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

[quote][/quote]e all have to back off on this feeling of security in "I have bigger boat, and the guys boat was too small that is why it happened". The guys got in too trouble because of a mishap and that is it. We all will never know. The boat they have is fine for that water. I am sure the resort and the guide new exactly what they were doing with all the safety equipment. Those are the risks in the ocean when we go out. Fish at 20+knots I wouldn't even do that in a bigger boat</u>.</u>

I don't think I've seen mishap in a incident investigation involving loss of life. If in fact there were 3 m seas and gale force winds and the anchor was purposely deployed for the purpose of fishing. There were a number of very poor decisions made, especially in a 19' open boat.

[quote][/quote]e all have to back off on this feeling of security in "I have bigger boat, and the guys boat was too small that is why it happened". The guys got in too trouble because of a mishap and that is it. We all will never know. The boat they have is fine for that water. I am sure the resort and the guide new exactly what they were doing with all the safety equipment. Those are the risks in the ocean when we go out. Fish at 20+knots I wouldn't even do that in a bigger boat</u>.</u>

I don't think I've seen mishap in a incident investigation involving loss of life. If in fact there were 3 m seas and gale force winds and the anchor was purposely deployed for the purpose of fishing. There were a number of very poor decisions made, especially in a 19' open boat.

Based on the weather reported for that day I think a guide would have been nuts to drop an anchor. If the boat flipped in a wave, there's always the possibility that the anchor deployed after the boat turned upside down. I'd really like to give that unfortunate guide the benefit of the doubt on that one

This story has lots of people rethinking their boats, their equipment, what they have in their ditch bags (if they have a ditch bag) and the risks they're willing to take (or not take) chasing a fish.

When I fished as a commie up in the Bering Sea, I didn't have a choice. You did what you had to do to get the job done. Now that I have a choice, it's too bad a tragedy seems to be what is necessary to get people like me re-thinking how they behave on the water.

I was in Q.C. Straits that day. I was out of Port Hardy, over on the other side and got caught on an afternoon ebb tide stacking up against a big NW blow. It was like being in a cauldron of boiling water. I was taking blue stuff over the wheelhouse onto the rear (non-bailing) deck of my 6 meter boat

Yes, I had a full survival suit with me. But it was stuck up in the forepeak, buried under a spare downrigger and a box of camping gear.

Based on the weather and the size of my boat, it should have been next to me in the wheelhouse. Maybe it should have been pulled out of its bag with my feet stuck in the gumby boots...

But it wasn't. All I had within reach that day was a set of rosary beads and two sweaty palms to run them through.

I got lucky and got to tell the tale. It's a story about a jerk who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and wasn't properly prepared for what could have been a vastly different outcome.

I suspect there are lots of guys who commented on this thread who also got to tell their tales. This time.

Based on the weather reported for that day I think a guide would have been nuts to drop an anchor. If the boat flipped in a wave, there's always the possibility that the anchor deployed after the boat turned upside down. I'd really like to give that unfortunate guide the benefit of the doubt on that one

This story has lots of people rethinking their boats, their equipment, what they have in their ditch bags (if they have a ditch bag) and the risks they're willing to take (or not take) chasing a fish.

When I fished as a commie up in the Bering Sea, I didn't have a choice. You did what you had to do to get the job done. Now that I have a choice, it's too bad a tragedy seems to be what is necessary to get people like me re-thinking how they behave on the water.

I was in Q.C. Straits that day. I was out of Port Hardy, over on the other side and got caught on an afternoon ebb tide stacking up against a big NW blow. It was like being in a cauldron of boiling water. I was taking blue stuff over the wheelhouse onto the rear (non-bailing) deck of my 6 meter boat

Yes, I had a full survival suit with me. But it was stuck up in the forepeak, buried under a spare downrigger and a box of camping gear.

Based on the weather and the size of my boat, it should have been next to me in the wheelhouse. Maybe it should have been pulled out of its bag with my feet stuck in the gumby boots...

But it wasn't. All I had within reach that day was a set of rosary beads and two sweaty palms to run them through.

I got lucky and got to tell the tale. It's a story about a jerk who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and wasn't properly prepared for what could have been a vastly different outcome.

I suspect there are lots of guys who commented on this thread who also got to tell their tales. This time.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

For those thinking of running out and getting those manual operated EPIRB and attaching, or sticking them in their pockets – good luck! Doing that, will an EPIRB make the outcome any different – maybe, maybe not… but only if it is a “floating” on the surface and I don't think I will be betting my life on that one. Then, one needs to understand the response time capabilities (based on weather and position), even if it does go off response times can vary greatly. Time in any water is critical!

FYI… unless things have changed? During normal work “DAY” hours, we had a committed 30 minute to launch time. After normal duty hours and on weekends, unless a specific mission dictated otherwise – the committed “SAR” launch time was TWO HOURS. That is two hours from notification, to launch from our airfield. I believe if you check Canada Forces will have the same requirements, as I very much cross- trained with Canadian pilots – but things do change?

My primary aircraft at that time for that mission was the CH-47D Chinook, referred as the CH-147D Chinook in Canada. They are the same aircraft with very few modifications. Each aircraft was equipped with an ‘Automatically Deployable Emergency Locator Transmitter’ (ADELT) and both Pilots carried separate/individual portable Emergency Survival Radios, so each aircraft was equipped with a minimum of THREE what is now being referred to as ‘Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons’ (EPIRBs) for marine use. That should tell you – they work! But, they are only PART of SURVIVAL gear needed that will make a difference! The very last thing I always put on before any mission was my individual ‘survival vest’, which was required for our missions and worn by all crew members. On missions over water, we were required to wear individual ‘water wings’ and carry ‘Life Raft Kits’, which included survival gear for the appropriate number of personnel on board the aircraft.

EPIRB’s save lives – that is proven! If you chose to get one - get a good one, as your life is going to depend on it - it very well could. Transport Canada requires a “free floating” EPIRB for a reason – those things just don’t seem to transmit very well under water. Then, remember you still have that response time (based on weather and position). If "I" had to make a choice offshore, in the fog, with no other vessels around...I would not only be looking at a good offshore PFD, but would be buying a GOOD automatically deployable - LIFE RAFT! Life rafts don't work very well when tied down to an upside down boats, either! I personally don't care if I am picked up in 30 minutes or 30 hours if in a nice comfortable GOOD life raft, but with the additional use of an EPIRB and located in three hours rather than that 30 hours sounds a little better, doesn't it? However, last thing and what I do NOT want is bob around in that cold water for any length of time just waiting for someone to respond to a radio beacon! The most importand and first thing... I WANT OUT OF THAT WATER - AND I WANT OUT FAST!

Now, while there are times a U.S. and/or Canada military helicopter can and will be diverted from one mission to respond to a ‘life threatening’ emergency – DON”T count on it! Unless that helicopter just happens to be close, happens to have the hoist and other equipment on board and installed, and your Gods are really with you… as a helicopter already half way through another mission will probably NOT have the fuel! That is one reason there is dedicated SAR helicopters on standby! And, it is really tricky for a fixed wing aircraft to do the rescue part of that mission 20 miles offshore and I really can’t see them landing in 15 foot swells? I guess they could drop a life raft, which you should already have as part of your survival gear?

Finally, the coastal waters have been divided into two SAR areas. A DFO/CCG patrol vessel is continuously stationed in each zone to provide SAR coverage. That is the first normally utilized to respond, depending on the circumstances it won’t be any aircraft if a surface vessel is close. I assure you, neither Joint Recue Co-ordination Centre Victoria (JRCC) nor the U.S. Coast Guard District 13 (RCC), or any other JRCC or RCC is going to launch SAR aircraft upon receiving a distress radio beacon. Sorry it just doesn’t work that way, they don’t – they will try contacting to verify first. Usually by VHF or cell phone, then if no contact is made, they will call the contact information, the alternate contact information, and any phone numbers listed on the registration! After that, if an emergency if believed or confirmed, comes the Pan Pan calls– they will then contact the appropriate support units to launch the appropriate SAR units.

Again, sorry but that is the way it is – If you want to run offshore and still have a chance of survival if something happens, an EPIRB would be a good thing to have, but you really need to also - BUY A “GOOD” LIFE RAFT!
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0003868

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks for all that info Charlie. All makes alot of sense. Once again we benefit from your experience !
The part that unfortuneatly is likely not to happen is that guys likely will find it tough to spend the $$$$.$$ on a life raft. Even if they are willing to fork out the grand for an EPIRB ( and goodness knows how much for fishing gear), I think they would likely be way less willing to fork out 5 times as much ( or more) for a life raft. If they believed for sure they'd need it one day to save their life I am sure they would fork out the cash in a second! Unfortunatley however that senario reminds me of a common thought: " that it won't happen to me ". I often struggle with the cost vs odds too - I admit it !!!

Another concern I can think of about life rafts for some, especially those that run smaller open boats or walkarounds/sportfisher's (18-23'), of which there are many, is that it would be pretty tough to store it. Not sure, but I think you'd have to be Chris Angel to figure out how to efficiently and appropriately store a life raft on a 19 foot boat like the one Qualicum River uses.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

For those thinking of running out and getting those manual operated EPIRB and attaching, or sticking them in their pockets – good luck! Doing that, will an EPIRB make the outcome any different – maybe, maybe not… but only if it is a “floating” on the surface and I don't think I will be betting my life on that one. Then, one needs to understand the response time capabilities (based on weather and position), even if it does go off response times can vary greatly. Time in any water is critical!

FYI… unless things have changed? During normal work “DAY” hours, we had a committed 30 minute to launch time. After normal duty hours and on weekends, unless a specific mission dictated otherwise – the committed “SAR” launch time was TWO HOURS. That is two hours from notification, to launch from our airfield. I believe if you check Canada Forces will have the same requirements, as I very much cross- trained with Canadian pilots – but things do change?

My primary aircraft at that time for that mission was the CH-47D Chinook, referred as the CH-147D Chinook in Canada. They are the same aircraft with very few modifications. Each aircraft was equipped with an ‘Automatically Deployable Emergency Locator Transmitter’ (ADELT) and both Pilots carried separate/individual portable Emergency Survival Radios, so each aircraft was equipped with a minimum of THREE what is now being referred to as ‘Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons’ (EPIRBs) for marine use. That should tell you – they work! But, they are only PART of SURVIVAL gear needed that will make a difference! The very last thing I always put on before any mission was my individual ‘survival vest’, which was required for our missions and worn by all crew members. On missions over water, we were required to wear individual ‘water wings’ and carry ‘Life Raft Kits’, which included survival gear for the appropriate number of personnel on board the aircraft.

EPIRB’s save lives – that is proven! If you chose to get one - get a good one, as your life is going to depend on it - it very well could. Transport Canada requires a “free floating” EPIRB for a reason – those things just don’t seem to transmit very well under water. Then, remember you still have that response time (based on weather and position). If "I" had to make a choice offshore, in the fog, with no other vessels around...I would not only be looking at a good offshore PFD, but would be buying a GOOD automatically deployable - LIFE RAFT! Life rafts don't work very well when tied down to an upside down boats, either! I personally don't care if I am picked up in 30 minutes or 30 hours if in a nice comfortable GOOD life raft, but with the additional use of an EPIRB and located in three hours rather than that 30 hours sounds a little better, doesn't it? However, last thing and what I do NOT want is bob around in that cold water for any length of time just waiting for someone to respond to a radio beacon! The most importand and first thing... I WANT OUT OF THAT WATER - AND I WANT OUT FAST!

Now, while there are times a U.S. and/or Canada military helicopter can and will be diverted from one mission to respond to a ‘life threatening’ emergency – DON”T count on it! Unless that helicopter just happens to be close, happens to have the hoist and other equipment on board and installed, and your Gods are really with you… as a helicopter already half way through another mission will probably NOT have the fuel! That is one reason there is dedicated SAR helicopters on standby! And, it is really tricky for a fixed wing aircraft to do the rescue part of that mission 20 miles offshore and I really can’t see them landing in 15 foot swells? I guess they could drop a life raft, which you should already have as part of your survival gear?

Finally, the coastal waters have been divided into two SAR areas. A DFO/CCG patrol vessel is continuously stationed in each zone to provide SAR coverage. That is the first normally utilized to respond, depending on the circumstances it won’t be any aircraft if a surface vessel is close. I assure you, neither Joint Recue Co-ordination Centre Victoria (JRCC) nor the U.S. Coast Guard District 13 (RCC), or any other JRCC or RCC is going to launch SAR aircraft upon receiving a distress radio beacon. Sorry it just doesn’t work that way, they don’t – they will try contacting to verify first. Usually by VHF or cell phone, then if no contact is made, they will call the contact information, the alternate contact information, and any phone numbers listed on the registration! After that, if an emergency if believed or confirmed, comes the Pan Pan calls– they will then contact the appropriate support units to launch the appropriate SAR units.

Again, sorry but that is the way it is – If you want to run offshore and still have a chance of survival if something happens, an EPIRB would be a good thing to have, but you really need to also - BUY A “GOOD” LIFE RAFT!
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0003868

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Thanks for all that info Charlie. All makes alot of sense. Once again we benefit from your experience !
The part that unfortuneatly is likely not to happen is that guys likely will find it tough to spend the $$$$.$$ on a life raft. Even if they are willing to fork out the grand for an EPIRB ( and goodness knows how much for fishing gear), I think they would likely be way less willing to fork out 5 times as much ( or more) for a life raft. If they believed for sure they'd need it one day to save their life I am sure they would fork out the cash in a second! Unfortunatley however that senario reminds me of a common thought: " that it won't happen to me ". I often struggle with the cost vs odds too - I admit it !!!

Another concern I can think of about life rafts for some, especially those that run smaller open boats or walkarounds/sportfisher's (18-23'), of which there are many, is that it would be pretty tough to store it. Not sure, but I think you'd have to be Chris Angel to figure out how to efficiently and appropriately store a life raft on a 19 foot boat like the one Qualicum River uses.

I forgot to add an obvious alternate to the life raft....has been mentioned before but worth emphazising again.....
fish offshore only within site of a buddy boat and stay in radio contact with them continiously, especially in fog. Fish in pairs. When the weather turns wrong head in together.
Not always possible but in many situations this would be possible and would greatly increase the possibiliy of survival if a capsize occured

I forgot to add an obvious alternate to the life raft....has been mentioned before but worth emphazising again.....
fish offshore only within site of a buddy boat and stay in radio contact with them continiously, especially in fog. Fish in pairs. When the weather turns wrong head in together.
Not always possible but in many situations this would be possible and would greatly increase the possibiliy of survival if a capsize occured

There will be a celebration of the life of Kevin Sturgess, the guide of the missing boat on October 16th, from 1 to 4 PM at the Tswwassen Golf Club. I'm sure anyone who knew him will be there to show support for his family.

We are still hoping that his family will come to Tofino for a separate service.

Back