marine binoculars

daddystoy

Planning on adding some this year. Probably going to pick something up at the upcoming boat show. Any recommendations as to what to look for in terms of power, quality ... reasonable price point for a decent quality product.
thanks in advance
Dave

My experience w optics - is that you get what you pay for. Your needs and pocketbook will determine the level of that quality. If you want a top-end, night-vision binoc - that'll cost you. In any event - for boats/marine - stay away from the small, foldable binoculars. The larger the lens - the better the low light vision. Keep to the reputable manufacturers - and you won't commonly be surprised or disappointed.

Picture%20082.jpg

Wouldn't let me type but i have this exact set just laying around if you like never been on water used them at house to look at birds...lol 7 x50 Bushnell seen on web they went for $247.00 before make me an offer... in sooke area but can meet you in langford...
Wolf

I agree with agentaqua for the most part, the difference between a 100 $ pair and a 2000 $ pair is remarkable, in terms of clarity, light gathering etc.. However once you get around 500 $ the difference is noticable but to a much lesser degree. I would not get anything beyond an 8power, ( to much shake )but in the widest objective lens within your budget. When you test them out, look for clarity right across the lense, the better ones will have very little distortion on the edges.

Make sure you get Image Stabilization. It minimizes shakes and makes it easier to see when you use them in rough seas

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. That's a good starting point.

I'll hold off on yours for now Wolf. I'd like to do a little more research first.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Bushnell 7x50 Permafocus binoculars from Amazon for about $100 and I like them.I looked into some with image stabilization ones but they were out of my price range at the time.I use them for keeping an eye on my prawn pots in a known thievery spot and they work very well for that.

If its that rough out I dont think i want to be looking thru binos LOL LOL

If its that rough out I don't think i want to be looking thru binos LOL LOL
Sometimes altering the engine speed and/or shifting the angle of how your boat meets the waves - and timing when you put the binocs up on your eyes helps...

Back