Malibu Tyee - Opinions?

I can tell by the pictures it has never had a kicker on it. It would have some marks in the gel and on the transom trim. The entire package looks tidy. Looks well looked after.

Damien, I tow a Campion 19' CC with a 2014 Ford Escape AWD. I figure I'm closing in on 2500lbs with motor, gear, fuel etc. It's not ideal but it tows just fine. There is definitely a little more hitch weight than I'd like and that little eco boost gets horrible fuel economy when towing. That being said we did tow from Ladysmith to Winter Harbour with no problems (gravel road and all). It's not an ideal situation and I prefer to tow with the truck but that little cross over can pull a small boat just fine. One major negative is the rear wheels on the Escape are further back than a truck. I've had to dip the rear wheels more times than I'll admit to my wife.

Thats a long haul. Do you have the 2.0 ecoboost with or without the tow package?

Eco boost with tow package. 2500lbs max tow. My setup probably weighs all of that. The Escape is definitely not an ideal tow vehicle but it does tow a small boat just fine if need be.

Good luck with the Tyee that's one clean looking boat

Hey there, I'm looking into a 17' Malibu Tyee.

I will be using it for the big lower mainland lakes, Alouette, Harrison, Cutus, Chilliwack etc. As well as some near shore Howe Sound, West Van type of salmon action. I just sold my aluminum modified V looking for something that handle the chop better and tow a tube for the kids a few times in the summer.

Any gotchas to look for in the 1990's vintage? Other than checking the usual stuff for soft floor or transom, etc. Are there any fundamental flaws in these boats?

Sweet spot for power? 75, 90, 115?

I appreciate your insights.

With kids if you can find one I recommend this over the Tyee. http://www.usedcowichan.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=27970227&position=1&hb=4

I have the inboard which you probably wouldn't like but once in a while a podded one comes up for sale. Don't get my wrong I like the Tyee but the storage in the nose is a little small I find when taking a few kids with me. I also like the hardtop instead of canvas. There is also a 182 but i find the engine well a little intrusive. Good luck remember most boats come in next few months towards late spring when everyone upgrades.

It works well for the lake and ocean. Not too big and not too small.

Good looking 185 there. Noted the hard top and little cuddy is nice. But I am limited by a few things like budget, towing capacity of my Escape ~2500lbs and my garage will be tight for height and width as.

This will be a fair weather boat when the wife and little one come on board, likely 3-5 years max on sunny summer days. 90% of the time on the local big lakes, with a few forays around the Vancouver Harbour and near shore Howe Sound. Will I get 2 foot-itis? Probably, but that will be years down the road when I have a purpose built garage, better tow vehicle and divorce papers in place.

If your vehicle is only rated 2500 lbs towing you will find it tough to find a boat in that size. My 17' weighs 3250 with normal gear and fuel. I find many folks underestimate weight significantly.

I find many folks underestimate weight significantly.
X2. I ask guys all the time what their rigs weigh and am surprized how many don't know. I weigh mine every time a pass a scale, simple to do just drive over it. Bet a lot would be surprized how over weight they are. Goes for RV trailers too, bet there's even more of those then boat/trailers.

If your vehicle is only rated 2500 lbs towing you will find it tough to find a boat in that size. My 17' weighs 3250 with normal gear and fuel. I find many folks underestimate weight significantly.
Wow that seems heavy. I have a 19.5 fibreglass runabout with 140 2 stroke, 9.9 4 stroke, downriggers, dual batteries, 120 L gas capacity and lots of fishing gear. Fuelled up and ready to fish she's 2850 lb on the single axle trailer, tongue weight is 150 lb.

My 17' weighs 3250 with normal gear and fuel. I find many folks underestimate weight significantly.
Yup that's about what my 17' DE weighs on the scale when fully loaded. The Tyee is an identical boat so imagine it should be about the same. They are heavy for their size. Which also means trailer brakes are required unless you are towing with a vehicle greater than 5000lbs :eek:.

Arrrrg! trailer brakes. hate Hate HATE!!! :mad: But that's another story...

Back